What's new

Could this be my Kamisori Grail Razor?

Looking at Fikira's extensive picture collection it seems the second number varies from 1 until 90's. I doubt it signifies the length of the razor.

Yes, that certainly does seem like proof that it does not always mean the length. But could it mean the length sometimes? I have 3 stamped Iwasakis. Here are two of them. Is this just a coincidence?

Second stamped number: 46
SMALL Stamped 46.JPG

Second stamped number: 52
SMALL Stamped 52.JPG

The third is stamped 71, though, which clearly does not match:
SMALL Stamped 71.JPG

As far as I have seen the standard kamisori cutting length is around 5cm, the larger ones I think are 6cm.
So any number between 45-55 has a good chance coinciding.

I don't know what key Iwasaki used for his serial numbers. The western grinds are supposedly showing the number of razors that came from one batch of tama steel. Allegedly 10 razors made from one. Now remember that western razors are all made out of Tamahagane, plenty of steel is used. In a kamisori it's just a small part that is made out of tama, the rest of the razor is soft steel so there is much less tama steel used.
Could you get 10 kamisoris for every western razor? Seems excessive but I never made a razor so don't know.

Like I said, if he meant it to be length then there is no way you could have low(1) and high numbers(98) and we know those numbers do exist from looking at fikiras pics.

I think all these things will remain unknown. If you take apart a western tama you can find numbers by the pin hole, what do they mean, nobody knows.

Nice razors by the way.

thumb_IMG_0664_1024.jpg

I am risking being "blasted" for resurrecting and old post... but what the heck!

Beautiful acquisition brother! Do you have a follow-up of how you have learned to work with the blade since first shaving with it? I really dig the kamisori!

I am risking being "blasted" for resurrecting and old post... but what the heck!

Beautiful acquisition brother! Do you have a follow-up of how you have learned to work with the blade since first shaving with it? I really dig the kamisori!
I have not picked up this kamisori in awhile. I think it needs a tune-up
on my JNat. That said, the edge put on by the seller, a Japanese barber from
north of Tokyo, was wonderful. My experience with this Iwasaki is that it takes
a little more dexterity than a Western SR and, even so, I was not able to capture
all the angles of a regular straight. That is probably due to the fact that I only use
my right hand when handling a kamisori and I only use the "proper" side. (IMHO
kamisori were designed for barbers, not people shaving themselves). That said,
with a little creativity one can get 99% BBS. It is a lot of fun to shave with...

Still have not made that trip to Niigata, but maybe this year!

Last edited:
Beautiful razor, and just as nice, a great story to go with it. I lived in your neck of the woods for a while - Shiga prefecture, in Nagahama, with many a trip to Kyoto. Would have loved to see where they make those. Maybe next time we go visit the wife's family

Beautiful razor, and just as nice, a great story to go with it. I lived in your neck of the woods for a while - Shiga prefecture, in Nagahama, with many a trip to Kyoto. Would have loved to see where they make those. Maybe next time we go visit the wife's family
The Iwasaki's are made in Sanjō in Niigata perfecture, though my barber-friend lives in Kyoto. I love Shiga and that whole area around Lake Biwa. I have had some fine trips to Otsu and Hikone. I am based in Yokohma now but try to get down to Kansai at least once a year, usually in late Decemebr, just before the holidays.

If it were mine, I would remove that purple from the handle as it doesn't do that razor any favours, and get wrapped in traditional bamboo by someone who knows exactly what he's doing. PS I would love to hone that razor, If you ever want it honed I'll do it for free as long as you pay the postage.

If it were mine, I would remove that purple from the handle as it doesn't do that razor any favours, and get wrapped in traditional bamboo by someone who knows exactly what he's doing. PS I would love to hone that razor, If you ever want it honed I'll do it for free as long as you pay the postage.
I may take you up on that offer but I would love to have Mizuochi-san lay his fingers on this blade for a few laps on a JNat first. I am on two minds on the wrap. On the one hand, I love a traditional rattan wrap but on the other, the grip on this purple one is superb. For those who know their Iwasaki history, the Iwasaki clan was based at one time in Kanagawa prefecture before moving back to Sanjō in Niigata. I often pass Iwasaki Shigeyoshi's private high school to go swimming at Zushi beach. It is a small world...

I have not picked up this kamisori in awhile. I think it needs a tune-up
on my JNat. That said, the edge put on by the seller, a Japanese barber from
north of Tokyo, was wonderful. My experience with this Iwasaki is that it takes
a little more dexterity than a Western SR and, even so, I was not able to capture
all the angles of a regular straight. That is probably due to the fact that I only use
my right hand when handling a kamisori and I only use the "proper" side. (IMHO
kamisori were designed for barbers, not people shaving themselves). That said,
with a little creativity one can get 99% BBS. It is a lot of fun to shave with...

Still have not made that trip to Niigata, but maybe this year!

Thank you for the response!

I've actually heard that "Western" SR's were intended for barbers, and Kamisori's for individuals. I wish I had the source to verify that...
Could it be a personal preference, or acclimation-thing?

Top Bottom