What's new

could this be an old coticule?

Hello everyone,
Simple question do you think this is a coticule? if not what could it be ?

some background information
six years ago my father died, he was a woodworker. under his workbench there was a bucket full of old tools. some from his grant father who was a cobbler, some he just got from acquaintances.As i started leather working classes 3 years ago, i was searching for tools in his workplace and did found this bucket with awls, knives,.... and this stone.
i didn't care about it as i already had a stone( a 5 dollar oil stone). a few weeks ago i needed a finer stone to sharpen a blade and used this one. i didn't looked like an oil stone so i used water to be on the safe side. and it created as slurry and did hone very smooth. so could this be a coticule? it has some darker spots on the white side.
If you need more info or pictures just ask.
Btw i live in Belgium

Thx in advance
greetings Bert

IMG_20211019_211401.jpg
IMG_20211019_211446.jpg
IMG_20211019_211513.jpg
IMG_20211019_211522.jpg

Thanks greazy for a quick reply
the darker spot near the end of the stone in the first picture is from water, i just cleaned it.
i check it out how to lap :) i am a total newbe.
Greetings bert

Hello everyone,

six years ago my father died, he was a woodworker. under his workbench there was a bucket full of old tools. some from his grant father who was a cobbler, some he just got from acquaintances.As i started leather working classes 3 years ago, i was searching for tools in his workplace and did found this bucket with awls, knives,.... and this stone.
i didn't care about it as i already had a stone( a 5 dollar oil stone). a few weeks ago i needed a finer stone to sharpen a blade and used this one. i didn't looked like an oil stone so i used water to be on the safe side. and it created as slurry and did hone very smooth. so could this be a coticule? it has some darker spots on the white side.
Btw i live in Belgium

Thx in advance
greetings Bert

View attachment 1348615View attachment 1348616View attachment 1348618View attachment 1348619
Yep, and from the looks of it a very good one. Enjoy! I wish I had stones that had that familial attachment!

Sweet! It's pretty too isn't it, with those speckles :)

I've not seen many that look like that, maybe one of the experts here might be able to chime in with how common it is...

Thank you all for the kind words.
If anyone know more about the coticule i would like to hear.
Or if anyone know some expert let me know.

I did hone some blades and chisels last night and i noticed the slurry comes very slowly like 20+ passes and its light gray( not white like in some movies i have seen). the passes feel like floating above the stone a bit like strokes on a hardened glass plate.The result was excellent at least compared to previous honed(on a non coticule stone) blades and chisels.

I will cherish the stone and keep in touch about the progression.
Again thx
Bert

Thank you all for the kind words.
If anyone know more about the coticule i would like to hear.
Or if anyone know some expert let me know.

I did hone some blades and chisels last night and i noticed the slurry comes very slowly like 20+ passes and its light gray( not white like in some movies i have seen). the passes feel like floating above the stone a bit like strokes on a hardened glass plate.The result was excellent at least compared to previous honed(on a non coticule stone) blades and chisels.

I will cherish the stone and keep in touch about the progression.
Again thx
Bert
I bet it's got an insanely high garnet count, from the looks of it and the description, and I bet it's like glass. Those coticule are very hard to cone by even if you spend a fortune trying lots of old ones. Sounds like you're coticule was kicking up grey slurry instead of white because it was eating steel which means it's fast. I have lots of coticules but not many fast ones. Only 1 really. A really fast and fine one, that is very old and belonged to a family member is something very special. Learn how to use it well, use it as often as possible, take VERY good care of it, and pass it to your children/ grandchildren. Keep these traditions alive, enough have died.

Hello everyone,

Btw i live in Belgium

Thx in advance
greetings Bert

View attachment 1348615View attachment 1348616View attachment 1348618View attachment 1348619

Your stone bears some resemblance to Wid's stone. You might go through the pages in that thread if you wanted to identify it it more completely.

Top Bottom