What's new

Could I, would I, love a vintage?

Any of those three would be a good choice. I favor my Aristocrat, with the FB close behind. I prefer a shorter handle, so I put my Slim up for the B&B auction up a couple of years ago. It shaved well, but the others feel better in my hand. YMMV. Look around and go for it! I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Thank you, all, for your generosity--I've learned a lot in reading your responses (and a shout-out to G.W. for his barbical Dr. Seuss). I accepted WildWest74's gracious offer to send me his Old Type to try out, and am looking forward to it and to sharing the results on the Forums.

:thumbup:

I just used my Black beauty again, and man it is good. I can't compare it to other vintage adjustables since it's my only vintage adjustable, but my advice is to get one. You get a close shave on the highest setting and a smooth, nice shave on the lower.
I absolutely love it.
And I love my old Rotbarts razors too, very similar to gillette old type and rfb, but as a daily allround razor the Black beauty is awesome.

Thank you for telling me about the Black Beauty, and your advice. I'm not ready to make a decision, yet., but value your opinion and experience.

Peter; The allure of a vintage razor is a strong one indeed. Start small and inexpensively, but not necessarily a compromise in the quality of shave. I recommend a Pre-War, Fat Handle Tech as an initial vintage razor- you will not go wrong here. I have never tried anything more vintage than 1938, but the Gillette Old and New Razors undoubtedly have a huge following. Another inexpensive choice would be a 1954-1960 Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed, designed for moderate growth beards. These are wonderful shavers and well balanced. Once the bug has bitten- a Gillette 195 Adjustable would be another consideration, albeit more expensive. Again- an excellent tool and all are exceptionally well made. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette Prewar Gold Tech Razor.JPG
Z3, B2, E1 Flare Tips, E1 195 & Case, Fuller Men's Comb NOS Strum and Company Clarksville, VA .JPG

Of course you will like a vintage razor. Innumerable companies, large and small, have made razors for over 100 years. The choices are absolutely staggering. There are absolutely wonderful, fascinating razors out there in every price range. There is something for everyone in vintage razors.

Yes you could, and you should, find love with a vintage good.

In a box, or with a fox, a TTO could shave your locks.

What the heck, try a Tech. They work nicely around the neck.

Find a New, should open combs work for you. They work so well, your search may be through.

OK this is just genius

I received The Old Type Single Ring from WildWest74 in the mail today to try. I'll give it a spin on my next shave and report on my FIRST VINTAGE SHAVE!

I do…I do….I do! love a Vintage!

WildWest74, thank you again for loaning me your Gillette Single Ring Old Type!

To date I’ve only shaved with modern razors—34C, Mergress, 2013 Muhle 41R, Razorock Wunderbar Slant. The Muhle is my daily driver, so it is my most direct benchmark in judging the Old Type.

The Old Type is comparatively smaller: ¾ the length of the 41, much narrower handle, very thin and narrow head—the blade tabs extend past the sides.

The Old is made of brass, which is heavier than the 41’s Zamak, so much so that the larger razor felt hollow when I hefted it after the Old Type, even though the Old actually weighs less due to its size.

Blade: brand new Astra SP
Prep: a few minutes wetting my face with hot water, face lather with a sable brush and Proraso Red.

The comb of the Old is a real comb: long, straight teeth, blunt edges, real gaps between teeth. The feel of the comb on my face was pronounced and blended with blade feel. It left lather on my face in a perfect pattern after a pass, which is just what I think we want from a comb. Comparing, I realize the Muhle’s “open” comb is mainly cosmetic. I didn’t particularly enjoy the Old’s comb’s feel on my face, it’s not a smooth feel, but does no harm and the benefits are there—it leaves lather and is a seemingly foolproof guardrail against cuts—I could not cut myself no matter what direction I went on any part of my face.

Moreover, the little Old is nimble in every way: the narrow, thin head and agility of the razor means it has all the room it needs under my nose—can shave there in every direction: this normally treacherous “straight of Magellan” becomes an expansive, easy place with the Old: just another part of my face.

Did I sacrifice effectiveness with a safe razor? No, it was one of the best BBSs I’ve had, everywhere and especially in the hard to achieve areas under my chin and nose and on my neck.

The Old is as good and in some ways a better shaver than my moderns. I do have to determine if I continue to care about the comb feel. I’m going to try a Feather next.

Last edited:
Top Bottom