What's new

Could a knowledgeable person person please identify/comment on this Gillette Tech razor?

This was advertised as a ball end Tech, which I believe it is, but I’m uncertain. How does it compare in terms of mild/aggressive to other Techs? About when was it made? Is it worth having this replated? I realize replating sometimes diminishes the value. I might be able to pay a little more and just get one in better condition. What blades would you recommend for it? What materials were likely used to manufacture this? Is blade chatter much of an issue?

It's not the only Tech I own, but I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying the heft and feel of this razor. Sorry, I’m like a kid with a million questions.

Thanks, input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0856 (1).jpg
    IMG_0856 (1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
This was advertised as a ball end Tech, which I believe it is, but I’m uncertain. How does it compare in terms of mild/aggressive to other Techs? About when was it made? Is it worth having this replated? I realize replating sometimes diminishes the value. I might be able to pay a little more and just get one in better condition. What blades would you recommend for it? What materials were likely used to manufacture this? Is blade chatter much of an issue?

It's not the only Tech I own, but I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying the heft and feel of this razor. Sorry, I’m like a kid with a million questions.

Thanks, input is greatly appreciated.
Those early post-war Techs are good shavers. The only Tech I like better (of those I tried) is the pre-war Canadian model. Good blades, something on the sharper end of the spectrum, for instance Nacet, Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack), BIC Chrome Platinum, Personna Med Prep. Slightly less sharp blades such as Gillette Silver Blue, Rapira Platinum Lux, etc. may also work quite well. Materials are usually nickel plated brass. Blade support is very good, so no chatter to speak of.

You can find those in good shape for $10-15, so replating would not really be economical. I don't see anything really wrong with that one, though.

You could experiment with a third-party stainless steel handle. That would add some weight. Just don't pick something too heavy or the razor will become a bit unbalanced.

Last edited:
I just picked up a slightly different version of yours yesterday. I poked around on the web and found that just as lasta said, it’s circa ‘46-‘50.

I also have two of the previous version, (‘38-‘45,) and one later, ('54.) I can get an excellent shave with any of them. It's only worth having it re-plated if you want to. I had the top cap and bottom plate re-plated on one of mine because the nickel plating was coming off, leaving sharp edges on the top cap.

F45B4A89-3183-4187-8490-56DE8BE70238.jpeg

Last edited:
The ball end Techs are my favorite razors. As others have pointed out, yours is pre-date code but all of them seem to be the same. A good clean with a brush and dish detergent and you're good. I wouldn't replate it. I have a gold pre-date which is in stunningly good condition and a 1961. They shave exactly the same. It's interesting to me that they are Gillette's most common razor out there and, I think, are their best shavers outside of the adjustables (195, Slim).

fullsizeoutput_44c1.jpeg

Mine are 4th and 5th from the right.

The ball end Techs are my favorite razors. As others have pointed out, yours is pre-date code but all of them seem to be the same. A good clean with a brush and dish detergent and you're good. I wouldn't replate it. I have a gold pre-date which is in stunningly good condition and a 1961. They shave exactly the same. It's interesting to me that they are Gillette's most common razor out there and, I think, are their best shavers outside of the adjustables (195, Slim).

View attachment 1517355

Mine are 4th and 5th from the right.

Great line-up!! :a29:

About everything has been said so I will say this. If you really want it to look like new you can do a DIY Electroplating on it. Replate in Nickel in your own garage. You can find the info on youtube. Vinegar, a piece of nickel bought from eBay a jar, and a phone power supply. But you must get it clean clean clean.

The gold Tech above is the Contract Tech as you can see the difference in the handle.
The tech is a great razor. Mild but shaves well. I have many of them myself.

The middle drawer. This was before I added a few more as the drawer is full now.
Safety Razors.jpg

I don't think anyone's mentioned this:
The replating will cost more than the cost of the razor. I have a silver one and a gold one and they're both mint and I paid like $15-$20 for each. I personally wouldn't replate one unless you have some special reason for doing so.
I've stuck them both in a drawer. I don't like the shaves they give because they are too mild for my taste and not efficient at all on a 2 pass shave. YMMV!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
They are great razors. Gillette made millions and they are still one of the most copied razors around. I have quite a few of them and love them. Use it and enjoy the shaves, I get fantastic shaves with a Tech especially when paired with a sharp razor such as a Feather.

Top Bottom