What's new

Coticules and secondary bevels

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've only ever used a standard slurry dilution with coticules and get great edges. Never used tape or oil. I only use oil to hone on trannies and blacks.

I've only ever used a standard slurry dilution with coticules and get great edges. Never used tape or oil. I only use oil to hone on trannies and blacks.
Yeah water w/ a few drops of Smith's can be kind of nice but not mandatory though. But I'll say this one more time on the tape issue: while I'm actively trying to find a way to step away from the use of unicot/tape I personally wouldn't discourage those that have good luck with this technique to abandon it. It probably works well with some stones, especially softer coticules or if you find yourself having to hone under time constraints. I try and hold a philosophy of leaving many options on the table.

Last edited:
BTW guys I finally found out that my coticule is a La Grise! It was unmarked upon arrival and I'm totally unfamiliar with the names coticule veins by sight. I'm very glad to find out what it is.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
After I read my post, I did have to go back and add to hone and remove black tranny lest it be misconstrued.

Last edited:
I was wondering as to how many of you tend to add a layer of tape prior to finishing on your coticule to create a secondary bevel. I've had less than stellar results if I don't do this when honing with cotis. Any thoughts?

Timely question. I just taped and honed a couple of razors this past weekend. I don't remember using tape in the past.

I've got a natural combination stone, and I've wanted to make use of the garnets in the BBW. I'm not real fond of slurrying the bejeebers out of the coticule side - my opinion is that I want that surface reserved for finish work.

I downloaded and read a PDF that described the use of the BBW for razors, and then took the parts I liked and applied it to the honing work. Basically, I ran two consistencies of BBW slurries on the untaped razors, then taped the razors and finished with only water on the coticule. I ran them over linen and leather, and each razor was used to shave 1/2 of my face and neck.

I liked the results. The newer razor shaved okay, but I think it is inherently a lesser-quality product. I normally only use it to clean up the back of my neck and hairline. The older of the razors has never shaved better! It was a pleasure to use.

BTW guys I finally found out that my coticule is a La Grise! It was unmarked upon arrival and I'm totally unfamiliar with the names coticule veins by sight. I'm very glad to find out what it is.

I've spent some time trying to to put a name to my combo stone. Nearest I can determine is that it is a La Dressante au bleu. The confusing part is that on the sides there is some coticule veining into the BBW, and a few wispy strings of BBW into the coticule; this is apparently a characteristic of La Veinette. So, I don't know what I've got.

Either way, I'm fond of the stone, and learning its characteristics so that I can put it to good use. :biggrin1:

I've spent some time trying to to put a name to my combo stone. Nearest I can determine is that it is a La Dressante au bleu. The confusing part is that on the sides there is some coticule veining into the BBW, and a few wispy strings of BBW into the coticule; this is apparently a characteristic of La Veinette. So, I don't know what I've got.

Either way, I'm fond of the stone, and learning its characteristics so that I can put it to good use. :biggrin1:
While I don't have any meaningful expertise with coticule identification i am aware that there are some that have been collected that must have been quaried between layers and are kind of transitional specimens. I imagine that many of these are highly sought after. Thanks for the description.

Just did a bevel reset followed by some basic slurry work this morning without tape. I incorporated some spine leading strokes in there as well. I finished with dish soap and running water canting the hone upwards to help float the board a bit. I stropped it on linen and leather and it seemed to be cutting arm hair at the half way point without much trouble. Couldt realy make a HHT guess though. I'll give it a test shave after work.

I meant to say I canted the hone under running water to help float the blade a bit. Again the stone I have is a La Grise.

Just prior to shaving I did a few more passes strictly on Smith's oil and then back to the strops. Now so the test shave went well. I felt like I had to work a bit harder than I would have liked here and there but it was still a ultra smooth shaving edge. After the shave I went another round on the coti to set myself up for the next shave but I moved to mineral oil which is heavier than Smith's. This is the point in which the Le Grise became an very different hone! Its like this thing was meant to be used with mineral oil during finishing work. I'm looking forward to the next shave to see what kind of result the post shave honing might deliver...

Top Bottom