What's new

Coticule

Hi guys I’ve been SR shaving for about 8 mos. have kept my razors sharp with film. I do get a very sharp edge but was wondering about going to a coticule. Will it make much of a difference? Looking for opinions on if members feel its worth the cost to make the jump.

There are no easy generalizations. Whether it's better depends on what you are after. I haven't used film but I've been using coticules a a lot.
The coticule's claim to fame is it makes razors sharp enough to shave, but unlikely to cut skin. And that they can be used as a "one stone solution" from bevel set to final finisher.
For me coticules are exceptional at doing the middle work of a sharpening progression. They are a little slow for bevel setting and while I can get coticules keen enough to shave with, I find it much easier to achieve the level of sharpness I prefer with different finishers.
There are several tricks people use to squeeze every bit of sharpness they can out of a coticule. You can reduce pressure, finish on plain water, glycerine, propylene glycol, mineral oil, lather, etc. For me, there is still a bit of tugging compared to what I get with my Arkansas stones or Japanese synthetics. Finishing on a CrOx or CBN loaded strop helps bring it up a notch for me.
I think coticules are highly cost effective for how useful they are. But there is a lot of variability in what's available. And there is a learning curve. Especially if you are new to honing on stones.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
It will make a difference in the in shave smoothness, the feel of the edge while shaving. It can make a difference in closeness of the shave, but you’ll just have to try. Many folks here are coti experts, if you ask nicely, someone may lay a coti edge on you.

Coticules are the antithesis of film. There is so much variance between stones you don't get the predictability you do when honing with film. Each stone is like a puzzle you need to unlock. The edge is also very different from a synthetic one.

How much do you like using films? If they are your thing you might find coticules too capricious and variable.

I get my closest shaves with a coticule. They aren't my favourite to hone with, nor are they my favourite to shave with either, but I end up using mine a lot because they are quick to use and convenient.

Hi guys I’ve been SR shaving for about 8 mos. have kept my razors sharp with film. I do get a very sharp edge but was wondering about going to a coticule. Will it make much of a difference? Looking for opinions on if members feel its worth the cost to make the jump.

Huge difference. Coticules are like little individual puzzles that once you solve, put on a very mellow, comfortable and forgiving edge. This makes them fun to use, atleast for me. If you're into hand honing, a 6 x 2 (150 x 50) is the perfect size (atleast for me).

If you want to try a coticule edge, I'd be more than happy to put one on using my la dressante and la grise natural combo. Maybe even finish on my large surgical black Arkansas if you prefer a bump in keenness.

Huge difference. Coticules are like little individual puzzles that once you solve, put on a very mellow, comfortable and forgiving edge. This makes them fun to use, atleast for me. If you're into hand honing, a 6 x 2 (150 x 50) is the perfect size (atleast for me).

If you want to try a coticule edge, I'd be more than happy to put one on using my la dressante and la grise natural combo. Maybe even finish on my large surgical black Arkansas if you prefer a bump in keenness.
Thank you for your offer but I purchased one to try it myself.

I got a yellow coticule a few months back and I really like the edge it produces. I breadknifed one of my razors this morning and I was able to take it back to shave ready in about 30 minutes using a heavy slurry, so you can definitely do midrange work on a yellow if your patient.
Lately I have been touching up with a little lather and about 5 minutes of work on the stone, maybe once a month. I do 5 passes on nylon webbing with black paste in between shaves to keep the edge nice and keen. It’s a great smooth edge for an everyday shaver.

There are no easy generalizations. Whether it's better depends on what you are after. I haven't used film but I've been using coticules a a lot.
The coticule's claim to fame is it makes razors sharp enough to shave, but unlikely to cut skin. And that they can be used as a "one stone solution" from bevel set to final finisher.
For me coticules are exceptional at doing the middle work of a sharpening progression. They are a little slow for bevel setting and while I can get coticules keen enough to shave with, I find it much easier to achieve the level of sharpness I prefer with different finishers.
There are several tricks people use to squeeze every bit of sharpness they can out of a coticule. You can reduce pressure, finish on plain water, glycerine, propylene glycol, mineral oil, lather, etc. For me, there is still a bit of tugging compared to what I get with my Arkansas stones or Japanese synthetics. Finishing on a CrOx or CBN loaded strop helps bring it up a notch for me.
I think coticules are highly cost effective for how useful they are. But there is a lot of variability in what's available. And there is a learning curve. Especially if you are new to honing on stones.

This is an incredibly accurate assessment. +1

A Coticule edge is very much a user generated result. The stone is what is it is and variations from one to another do exist. But the user is the key, and using Cotis successfully requires some effort and time usually.

Coti edges are typically thought to be very smooth. I usually work mine to a more aggressive/keen type of edge. Coticules are/can be fairly versatile but being natural stones they do not make edges like synthetics do. Personally, I prefer making and shaving with edges off of natural hones; IMO, if all there was were synth edges I'd just go use a DE with Astras. So, to me a nice size Coticule is worth the price of admission. But not everyone is looking for the same thing.
So the 'worth' part depends on what you're looking for and your expectations. I might suggest putting that line of thinking aside and just 'going for it' to see what you can do with the stone once is shows up. I bet you have a lot of fun with it.

Top Bottom