What's new

Coticule supplier?

I have just begun to read about natural stones, so no experience of any kind, but I am intrigued.

Does anyone know anything about reputable suppliers of coticules in Belgium or France. I ask because my daughter is living in France near the Belgium border, and I am wondering if this could provide any opportunities/advantages.

I have just begun to read about natural stones, so no experience of any kind, but I am intrigued.

Does anyone know anything about reputable suppliers of coticules in Belgium or France. I ask because my daughter is living in France near the Belgium border, and I am wondering if this could provide any opportunities/advantages.
There is still one active quarry in Belgium producing coticule whetstones. Their products are available from the quarry or from their vendors near and far, but if there is a chance to visit the quarry it might be fun.

ARDENNES COTICULE
Petit Sart 38c
B-4990 Lierneux

i think both the blue and the yellow are worth it. You can buy them directly from Ardennes coticule. Where are you located? What opportunities did you have in mind? Like she could buy and send it to you?

I am in the US. Based on what I see on the Internet for US-based vendors, these things are not terribly plentiful. I just thought there might be more availability and better prices in Belgium, and then my daughter could bring it to me when she visits. Obviously, with COVID this is a bit of a wildcard. I guess she could also have it shipped to me.

I visited the Myrsol lab in Barcelona by myself when she was living in Barcelona last October. Using sign language worked pretty well to buy a bottle of AS and some soap. I have no idea what I would experience buying a stone from a person in Belgium by myself. I only speak English :-(. I guess I could try. Based on what I have read, it sounds like buying a stone is an adventure.

Sharpening Supplies has them also. I just bought a coti through them a week or so ago. I could have got it a little cheaper else where but having done business with them in the past and knowing their return policy it's where I went. The ones they have are slate backed if it makes a difference to you.

Yes, I saw the ones at Sharpening Supplies. The 6" x 2" size looks nice and the price seems competitive. Can you say anything about the performance of the stone you bought?

Frank, it's just my fifth coticule and my first modern one. Maybe someday I will get a really great one or a really bad one but all of mine take me to about the same place. This latest one is on the harder side which I prefer but I don't know if most of them are like that.

Making her buy a stone and send it over makes sense to me. The main advantage would be if that ends up being cheaper. It is not as much an adventure as you might think. In the end there is only one source -> Ardennes Coticule. And as I learned in this very thread, the new ones seem the be pretty good in comparison to all those fancy layers you often hear about. So you can buy a new one without worries. And buying from an active quary is just cooler:D. Also don't rule out the blue one. Much cheaper and harder and all you will ever need between bevel and finish. I even finish on them, but a yellow one is probably even better.
Don't worry to much about learning curves or getting to know the stones and all that. I find them super easy to use. Don't be afraid to inculde spine leading strokes, really makes it smoother and of course stropping is the real finisher. They don't excel in keennes (especially of the stone but who cares?), but have almost no rivals when it comes to the health of your skin. You can shave with more pressure and more vertical edge than with a mega keen edge to still get a pretty smooth shave, but zero skin irritation.
Belgians in the French speaking part will probably speak some English, certainly better than in France, Portugal, Spain or Italy.

In the end there is only one source -> Ardennes Coticule.

You are absolutely right! I went to the AC website last night and all of the different grades, shapes and sizes are available online. Plus they have lots of information about the quarry, the products and videos. I was really surprised. I should have just searched the Internet.

Has anyone used the Belgium yellow select stones from the perfect edge - Howard?

I have used one and am getting pretty good results although I have nowhere near the time and skill many folks posting in this thread do.

Top Bottom