What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Two of my coti's. The razor (W&B extra hollow) is there just to give a better sense of scale :)
The one on the left is a newly mined bout 9 with a very interesting pattern (blood vein like).

The one on the right is my 'coti beast'. It's a huge vintage natural combo 10" x 2 3/4". The back seems similar to La Lorraine, not sure about the coticule layer. If you guys have any ideas, please share.

1.jpg 2.jpg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
To show my love for this humble rock, I present a family portrait. All of them, except a boxed Pike razor hone (a BST) all were found in the wild. Some I have already shown and some not.

IMG_1938.JPG

Here is my coti collection. I will even rate them on Speed and how fine they are from my opinion/testing

left one (Speed: 9) (Finishing: 7) Middle one (Speed: 9-9.5) (Finishing: 9) Right one (Speed: 6) (Finishing: 9-9.5)

This is just scale of 1-10, with speed compared between these 3 coticules and finishing on how much I personally liked the shave. I usually just do water strokes only on my coticules after 5k stone (8k stone or other coticule before far right one it really slow from my small amount of testing)
fZRVqoa.jpg

quick eddit: have tested 2-3 other coticules that had decent speed but I did not like the finishing powers they had, and they were not fast enough for me to want to keep as a midstone

Last edited:

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
To show my love for this humble rock, I present a family portrait. All of them, except a boxed Pike razor hone (a BST) all were found in the wild. Some I have already shown and some not.

View attachment 865748
That’s a very impressive collection regardless of how they were acquired, but the fact that you found all but one in the wild is mind boggling to me.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here is my coti collection. I will even rate them on Speed and how fine they are from my opinion/testing

left one (Speed: 9) (Finishing: 7) Middle one (Speed: 9-9.5) (Finishing: 9) Right one (Speed: 6) (Finishing: 9-9.5)

This is just scale of 1-10, with speed compared between these 3 coticules and finishing on how much I personally liked the shave. I usually just do water strokes only on my coticules after 5k stone (8k stone or other coticule before far right one it really slow from my small amount of testing)
View attachment 865756

quick eddit: have tested 2-3 other coticules that had decent speed but I did not like the finishing powers they had, and they were not fast enough for me to want to keep as a midstone
Beautiful stones. I love the woodwork on that paddle

That’s a whopper, Tom! Is that a Verte?

Yeah David it is a natural combo Verte I got from the Mine measures in around 9" x 3.2" I think. The stone is a high level finisher almost feels like a JNAT and has that creamy soft like honing melted chocolate feel, yet it is a hard stone. If anyone feels like a coticule edge is not sharp enough they never tried an edge from a stone like a La Verte or a LL hybrid.

timwcic

"Look what I found"

That is a nice hunk-o-rock. And that Dalmatian rub stone is not bad either

Here is my coti collection. I will even rate them on Speed and how fine they are from my opinion/testingView attachment 865756

Impressive grouping and love that paddle

Ok I need to move. Nice finds.
Christian1212 very nice stones.
That’s a very impressive collection regardless of how they were acquired, but the fact that you found all but one in the wild is mind boggling to me.

It did not happen overnight. A lot of up before sunrise, a lot of miles driven to and a lot of miles walked at different markets over a lot of years. I have about six more a can not get to right now. One day I do a family portrait of wild Thuris and Arks.

Ok to be honest,I guess maybe I could say it.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It has happened over around 9mos. Thanks to fine places like this and your guys amazing collections!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom