What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Just a neat little tidbit. Instructions for a synthetic barbers hone I've got, instructing the owner to use "A Belgian hone with a rubber and water" to bevel a razor. It also suggests rebeveling every two or three weeks (assuming with a professional barber's level of usage).

Attachments

• $20141221_001323.jpg
    $20141221_001323.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 241
Cheers fellas.
The hybrid isn't unusually hard - it was well dished when I got it but didn't take too long to flatten.
The other one is softish and has lovely smooth feedback on slurry.

Oh and I did consider gluing the hybrid to a thuri but I don't have one that would fit. The closest has a perfect label and is longer and wider. If someone wants to donate me one the size is approx 175mm by 45mm.... :)

Last edited:
have a filthy 7x1 1/2 coming i won today !! as in a previous post stated " its fun lapping the stain off and seeing what you have "

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Yes it is. Never know what's going to be under the junk. Last vintage I lapped had a huge stamp on the face of it. That was a surprise

Cheers fellas.
The hybrid isn't unusually hard - it was well dished when I got it but didn't take too long to flatten.
The other one is softish and has lovely smooth feedback on slurry.

Oh and I did consider gluing the hybrid to a thuri but I don't have one that would fit. The closest has a perfect label and is longer and wider. If someone wants to donate me one the size is approx 175mm by 45mm.... :)

I have one that should fit. So if you send me your stone it will get a good home ��

I have 2 Coticules that I found in a garage. I've sharpened a couple of kitchen knives to test them out. They both work great, however I don't know the type. Any ideas?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 176
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 176
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 177
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
$photo-4.jpg

No backing,there is a blue streak on the side.7x2 tapering to 1-3/8 and an inch thick to 3/4.Came with a box that has a cover and it sits in there level,chiseled out and some kind of plaster.

this one showed up today .. 7x1 6/8 natural combo
needed a good lapping , havnt put a razor to it yet but i must say it is the lightest colored stone i have ..

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have one of those stones Gooser, with that band of brittle-looking hybrid in the middle. Really cool stone. The coti feels a lot like a Veinette. The hybrid actually surfaces on a couple corners of mine, but the patches are too small to really tell anything about it.

Caccia, that stone is really nice.

I have one of those stones Gooser, with that band of brittle-looking hybrid in the middle. Really cool stone. The coti feels a lot like a Veinette. The hybrid actually surfaces on a couple corners of mine, but the patches are too small to really tell anything about it.

Caccia, that stone is really nice.
from the pics b4 i bought it the darker streaks from the side view made me think ( hope) it actually was a Veinette till i got it all cleaned up , but i will see how it works out later on when everyone is in bed ..lol

Last edited:
Gooser I was watching that one too. Looks as nice as I thought it would. I manager to refrain from bidding--just kept reminding myself of the cotis I already have that I need to figure out first.

I finally got my first coti for xmas, already has a couple and looks like it will have some more manganese spots coming out before too long!

$IMG_20141227_024346.jpg$IMG_20141227_024413.jpg$IMG_20141227_024441.jpg

$image.jpg$image.jpgI've posted a picture of this stone before, but I now have a new camera, and a better idea of what vein this may have come from.

After reading Henk Bos on Belgian hones (part 4 p. 11) I believe this to be a La Grosse Jeune.

5. La Grosse Jaune
"(Probably named by Dumont La Gros Gres.)
The Coticule has a yellowish gray color discoloring ocher yellow when wet. It looks a bit grainy while it feels smooth. The surface is finer than that of La Grise (see there) and looks more like wood pores than wood fibres. With slurry this is one of the slower layers. With water the stones are slow with a "magnetic" suction similar to the 'hybrid' side of Les Latneuses.
The slurry has a consistency like a lubricant is added.
The La Grosse Jaune Coticules are among the easiest to obtain a perfect cut."

It definitely has the magnetic suction when honing under running water.
I was wondering if all coticules exhibit this, and is this the best way to finish?

This is a vintage hone I found well worn in an antique shop. I had previously thought it a La Grise.

Last edited:
I'm far from being an expert on identifying coticules, but the texture on the surface immediately reminded me of my grosse blanche, which was the last little piggy of its type to leave TSS in 2011. Color of yours seems a bit greyer though, and since yours was found in an antique shop, it probably was mined much earlier.

Last edited:
View attachment 534351View attachment 534352I've posted a picture of this stone before, but I now have a new camera, and a better idea of what vein this may have come from.

After reading Henk Bos on Belgian hones (part 4 p. 11) I believe this to be a La Grosse Jeune.

5. La Grosse Jaune
"(Probably named by Dumont La Gros Gres.)
The Coticule has a yellowish gray color discoloring ocher yellow when wet. It looks a bit grainy while it feels smooth. The surface is finer than that of La Grise (see there) and looks more like wood pores than wood fibres. With slurry this is one of the slower layers. With water the stones are slow with a "magnetic" suction similar to the 'hybrid' side of Les Latneuses.
The slurry has a consistency like a lubricant is added.
The La Grosse Jaune Coticules are among the easiest to obtain a perfect cut."

It definitely has the magnetic suction when honing under running water.
I was wondering if all coticules exhibit this, and is this the best way to finish?

This is a vintage hone I found well worn in an antique shop. I had previously thought it a La Grise.

i once had a very long yet thinish la grosse jaune. Go to coticule.be and mine was number 21 in the coticule vault. As you describe slowish with slurry and a faint draw with water, this is where yours will excel with water and a nice draw. Not so much magnetic, but a draw sensation.

my first and one of the very best first coticule edges was achieved with mine. It absolutely blew me away as I,d struggled with the same stone for a while.

i have a batch of newly mined la grise and they are very similar in feel and I actually thought ardanees had sent me la grosse jaune vein.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 112
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 112
FWIW, here are a couple of surface shots of my Grosse Blanche (which, ironically, may be a tad more yellow than "La Grosse Jaune"). Surface feels a little bit pebbly when honing.

$La-Grosse-Blanche-1-2.jpg

$La-Grosse-Blanche-Surface-2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom