What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

We have all seen the juicy goodness of the "Show us your Japanese naturals" thread, but after searching I couldn't find a dedicated coticule eye candy area... so I thought I would get the ball rolling. If there is already a thread for this, please feel free to merge.

This just arrived in my mailbox today... purchased from Jarrod at Superior Shave, who was extremely gracious and patient with my newbie questions and indecision. It is a 200x50 standard natural combo.

Very nice pick up Drybonz let me know how it works for you , might be looking into one of those soon.

That is nice. You should be proud! It'll beat that barber's hone you've got all to hell!:biggrin1:
Is it a Le Petite Blanche? (Bald-*** guess:001_smile I really suck at "guess that vein"!)
I've got three, of which I only have photos of one, a Le Dressante au Blue I got from Gary Haywood. The other two I have are a Le Verte, which has become my favourite finishing stone, and a Dressante (I believe... it's one of Jarrod's "pink" coticule bouts on slate) i actually got for knives and tools, though it works a charm on razors too.

huh! I don't even have the one photo I thought I did. I'll get on that.

edit: here's a quick snap-shot:
proxy.php

Last edited:
That is nice. You should be proud! It'll beat that barber's hone you've got all to hell!:biggrin1:
Is it a Le Petite Blanche? (Bald-*** guess:001_smile I really suck at "guess that vein"!)

Good guess though! Jarrod also believed it to be Le Petite Blanche.

Picked up from Ardennes-Coticule.com about 8 months ago via coticule.be:

View attachment 139264

layer: "La Dressante"
extracted: Coticule Quarry at Ol Preu.
size: irregularly shaped "bout" 14.5cm long, 5cm at widest side, 2cm at narrowest side.
speed with slurry: fast
speed with water:moderate

Of course, the pencil-written layer name is long gone (an initial lapping and months of use have seen to that)...

I've got three, of which I only have photos of one, a Le Dressante au Blue I got from Gary Haywood. The other two I have are a Le Verte, which has become my favourite finishing stone, and a Dressante (I believe... it's one of Jarrod's "pink" coticule bouts on slate) i actually got for knives and tools, though it works a charm on razors too.

huh! I don't even have the one photo I thought I did. I'll get on that.

edit: here's a quick snap-shot:
proxy.php

Did you cut those slurry stones like that yourself? I like that!

As a matter of fact, i did. I'm a litlle strange that way:blushing:
I find I end up using the little ones the most, they're great for raising slurry quickly because of the small surface area.
And I'll admit to having honed a razor or two on that little tiny Le Verte slurry stone. That was the motivation to buying the larger Le Verte. I seem to get the keenest results from the Le Verte.

As a matter of fact, i did. I'm a litlle strange that way:blushing:
I find I end up using the little ones the most, they're great for raising slurry quickly because of the small surface area.
And I'll admit to having honed a razor or two on that little tiny Le Verte slurry stone. That was the motivation to buying the larger Le Verte. I seem to get the keenest results from the Le Verte.

Yeah now you're gonna get some pms. Lol how did you cut them? I dig the hexagon!

You are going to get 40 pm's now from people asking you to cut their slurry stones into various Lucky Charms marshmallow shapes. :lol:

Yeah now you're gonna get some pms. Lol how did you cut them? I dig the hexagon!

hahaha:lol: Bring 'em on! Though I'm not sure if I could pull off the Lucky Charms shapes. At least, not the 4-leaf clovers.
I just used an el cheapo wet saw I have for work. The big stone was just too big, and I couldn't help but notice that it contained an almost perfect hexagon. That, and boredom....
I'd actually intended to cut up that #10 bout into a couple slip stones and try to leave a nice little travel hone, but once I got it in my hands, I found myself reluctant to do so. And that size is just great for knives.

Here are mine, a La Grosse Blanche bout, a regular La Dressante au Bleu and my slurry stone (which I think a La Veinette, but coticule.be isn't responding so I can't double check...)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom