What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

I’ve had a similar stone with a label but no stamp. It was the same size, made for a really nice edge.

Have a 5x1.25 with the label but no stamp. I’ve used it as the label has been lacquered. Don’t use it much but it also makes for a nice edge.

Congrats, nice find.

I personally do not like, enjoy, or respect non-labeled stones.

B7F50C58-F067-4CF4-BEF9-45FB1DD39056.jpeg
590C70E4-AC26-4DA8-ADAD-E6B624379F99.jpeg
B278A3A4-1162-4545-A255-873C164C0E3A.jpeg
8C0E1C17-67A3-4115-97E8-F5046AB49E03.jpeg
F2A6AFB5-0D83-4EB6-834B-4D6944ABF788.jpeg
62B90395-C14E-4F77-A23C-8871320D7938.jpeg

E1D32F31-933F-4675-BD89-7F2CC516155A.jpeg
AEC36D03-A2A4-474C-8FC8-8601690104B1.jpeg
15BDC786-75A6-40C6-91E8-60EFCA303A29.jpeg

None of these coticules have stickers or stamps, and I don’t like any of them. Calling @Steve56 !

Last edited:
Did the name of the website contain the name "jocelyn"? If so, stay as far away as possible.
No, not a website/shop but rather a Facebook group exchange. ****bag scammers are into just about every niche subject/hobby nowadays.

Another big one (if you ever sell something to someone via PayPal Goods and Services) is this. A buyer will pay in goods and services and ask you to ship it to a specific address (usually they say “I just moved here and PayPal hasn’t updated my address” or “it’s a gift for my brother so I need it sent directly to his address”.

Never, NEVER send anything anywhere other than the address PayPal supplies you with. If you do, even if you can prove it was delivered via tracking information, PayPal will refund the buyer and take the money back from you. All the buyer needs to do is say “I didn’t get it”, and once PayPal sees it was sent to a different address from what they have registered for the buyer, it’s automatically refunded.

If there are any scammers out in the world who shave with straight razors, may their shaves always be bloody, scathing, and miserable. Lol.

No, not a website/shop but rather a Facebook group exchange. ****bag scammers are into just about every niche subject/hobby nowadays.

Another big one (if you ever sell something to someone via PayPal Goods and Services) is this. A buyer will pay in goods and services and ask you to ship it to a specific address (usually they say “I just moved here and PayPal hasn’t updated my address” or “it’s a gift for my brother so I need it sent directly to his address”.

Never, NEVER send anything anywhere other than the address PayPal supplies you with. If you do, even if you can prove it was delivered via tracking information, PayPal will refund the buyer and take the money back from you. All the buyer needs to do is say “I didn’t get it”, and once PayPal sees it was sent to a different address from what they have registered for the buyer, it’s automatically refunded.

If there are any scammers out in the world who shave with straight razors, may their shaves always be bloody, scathing, and miserable. Lol.
Magnificent.

Is Salm Rock overrated? Yes, I can say it is. But this does not mean that the stone is not fine. We haven't seen enough of them to see if they have bad examples. In the past conversations we had with the owners of the Ardennes, they themselves admitted that those stones were better than the stones they had mined. If you search for Rob's messages in SRP you will see it. Or you can e-mail him.

I have around 30 coticules in my collection. Maybe a little more. Not only as a brand, but in general, I think the coticules are overrated. I know exactly what I'm using. I know what they are but exaggerated interpretations of some people lead to their misunderstanding.We don't call it the rabbit hole for nothing but i like them.

You can find a lot of nonsense on the forums. It's not just Salm Rock. For example, there was a community who said that Ardennes stones are stones that can work around 15k synthetic stones( even Bart had 20k descriptions in his old messages in SRP) or there are those who say that modern Pierre La Lune stones are well-matched to 15-20k synthetic stones. Imperia La Roccia stones etc. The subject should not be tied to the past. Today, we are not at a very different point. The same people are always targeted in these matters, but there are also different people to be targeted.

I live in Turkiye. My English is not perfect but there is a saying here. " you eat banana but you taste strawberry" :)

These people are the source of the problem.

I understand the strawberry reference.

And now, to keep this post on topic,
I just got a green coticule and used it to finish an MK 32.
I shave with it in the morning fresh off the stone.
I'm optimistic.
The other coticule is for color comparison.

DSCN1514c.jpg

DSCN1516c.jpg

Did the name of the website contain the name "jocelyn"? If so, stay as far away as possible.
Oh damn, now you have me curious! What websitez??? Probably best if you message me……

I'm optimistic.

View attachment 1664780

I'm optimistic.

View attachment 1664780

View attachment 1664781

I'm optimistic.

View attachment 1664780

View attachment 1664781
I hate to say it but the top stone looks like a synthetic barbers hone not a coticule. I think the dark side is a coating or paint to give it a bit different honing properties than the light colored side.

Oh damn, now you have me curious! What websitez??? Probably best if you message me……

I hate to say it but the top stone looks like a synthetic barbers hone not a coticule. I think the dark side is a coating or paint to give it a bit different honing properties than the light colored side.

It might be a barber hone.
But I don't think that's paint.
I lapped it quite a bit on both sides.
The two sides might be two different materials joined together.

It might be a barber hone.
But I don't think that's paint.
I lapped it quite a bit on both sides.
The two sides might be two different materials joined together.
It could be two different materials its hard to tell from the pics. I have seen them both ways. Regardless I hope it delivers a comfortable shave.

Update on that: i cancelled the transaction because of some red flags. Fairly certain it was a scammer. So no coticule today… poor me
UPDATE to the update. After having further discussion with the seller, I discovered that he actually wasn’t running a scam, and that the language barrier (poor translations) are what raised red flags. So the Old Rock has officially been purchased via PayPal Goods and Services and will be here by the end of the week (Friday most likely).

I’m sure it will be a great stone. Based on those pictures I was thinking it’s La Veinette or La Grosse Blanche. Thinking LV because of the white line, but also LGB because of the surface pattern (needles?) and the discoloration/darkening. I am still learning the art of identifying coticules, so please correct me if I am mistaken.

Also, here is one I picked up some time ago. A sweet little 2x4” La Petite Blanche. Gorgeous little stone. In addition to the pics, I was messing around with a new camera setup I put together for 360 degree photos/videos. Take a look:
902066DC-E5A4-40F0-8DF0-0D1BE6BADACF.jpeg
A2720A05-4FBE-4470-AFC8-0D77819D04B9.jpeg
EBE303B3-D99E-41D0-99FA-034A0067DEE6.jpeg
16102A00-AD43-410C-B142-135A3D59B5C9.jpeg

UPDATE to the update. After having further discussion with the seller, I discovered that he actually wasn’t running a scam, and that the language barrier (poor translations) are what raised red flags. So the Old Rock has officially been purchased via PayPal Goods and Services and will be here by the end of the week (Friday most likely).

I’m sure it will be a great stone. Based on those pictures I was thinking it’s La Veinette or La Grosse Blanche. Thinking LV because of the white line, but also LGB because of the surface pattern (needles?) and the discoloration/darkening. I am still learning the art of identifying coticules, so please correct me if I am mistaken.

Also, here is one I picked up some time ago. A sweet little 2x4” La Petite Blanche. Gorgeous little stone. In addition to the pics, I was messing around with a new camera setup I put together for 360 degree photos/videos. Take a look: View attachment 1665278View attachment 1665279View attachment 1665280View attachment 1665281
All my la petite blanch(labeled samples) have that line, but none of my la veinette(also labeled samples) have it. Here's a lpb that looks similar, but it's a slurry stone. I found a second picture, the first is the one I was talking about but both show a good example. These were stamped from ac.
20230416_152509.jpg20230429_232007.jpg

Top Bottom