What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Thanks Rick,

The best part is not the stone, but watching him shave. He’s one of the very few people that I will watch shaving, lol. You can learn something from him about shaving. Tip of the hat @gary haywood

I do note that he said twice that he prefers JNat edges, but his coti edge was JNat quality.

I’ve been dabbling in cotis and now have two that can compete with top tier JNats.

Maybe I need to buy some more cotis ….

Thanks Rick,

The best part is not the stone, but watching him shave. He’s one of the very few people that I will watch shaving, lol. You can learn something from him about shaving. Tip of the hat @gary haywood

I do note that he said twice that he prefers JNat edges, but his coti edge was JNat quality.

I’ve been dabbling in cotis and now have two that can compete with top tier JNats.

Maybe I need to buy some more cotis ….
No Steve leave some stones for the rest of us. 🤣

Top notch coti's are rare... but not THAT rare. In my opinion you hit on them WAY more often than you hit on top tier jnats buying ebay Jnats. And I buy both plenty.

(And even "misses" on vintage coti's are almost always still good razor finishers. Of 100+ vintage coti's I've gotten maybe 25 great ones (inflated because there's a few characteristics I use to target them), 5 inferior ones and the rest were competent razor finishers - the kind you'd shave with and go "yep, that's a coti" - )

That said, nothing beats a sneaky Thuri/PDSO score. There are no "Bad" Thuris or PDSO's (not counting that ONE David found with inclusions). But keeping my eyes open for cotis and Jnats too keeps it from getting dull. (though I've let 3 LG/YG thuris slip by for under $50 in the past month because I was distracted by other things and forgot to bid... one's already getting flipped for $125 starting bid. :c13: )

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Believe it or not I’ve had 4 thuris now with those gold inclusions. One was a labeled Fox and the inclusions were deep in the stone but visible from the side. My go to thuri is full of them but they aren’t close to the surface.

I’ve had 2 relabeled Fox’s and one was littered with them from the halfway mark to the bottom but never hit one with a razor.They are little balls of some kind of metal.

Hmmm.. I remember reading that Arkansas that are glued in boxes are so (and were cheaper) because the bottoms had flaws that the box prevented being used/reached. I wonder if maybe that's the secret of those gorgeous soft fuch's Stones... that they were amazing top halves but the bottoms had defects like this that made them unsuitable for eschers? I've had 4 or 5 fuch's stones, but never pried one out of the box that I can remember.

Here's an old stone, fairly recently acquired, that I seem to have neglected to photograph and post.
An "Old Rock" in a 4x2 Barber's size. The box and label carry the logo from the Jacques operated mine. There is a lot of confusion and conjecture on what these labels mean. The label carries the signature of S.R. Droescher, not the Jacques name, but it is definitely "Old Rock."
A natural combo, this stone is very fine, very hard and very fast, turning a misty slurry the color of steel with very few strokes. I generally finish with misty slurry on a coticule to obtain a smooth, fluffy shave. The slurry on this one may perhaps need to be a bit heavier.
In any case, I'm very happy to have this stone, and it has alrerady proven to me that it deserves a place in the top tier.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Very nice old rock. I have wondered who all produced the small barber size coti's like this. I have one of the same size that's a very nice stone, no label though

Very nice old rock. I have wondered who all produced the small barber size coti's like this. I have one of the same size that's a very nice stone, no label though
I also have two E. Morris "Old Rock" coticules in the same size. The boxes are marked" Extra Extra."

Reactions: Wid
Here's an old stone, fairly recently acquired, that I seem to have neglected to photograph and post.
An "Old Rock" in a 4x2 Barber's size. The box and label carry the logo from the Jacques operated mine. There is a lot of confusion and conjecture on what these labels mean. The label carries the signature of S.R. Droescher, not the Jacques name, but it is definitely "Old Rock."
A natural combo, this stone is very fine, very hard and very fast, turning a misty slurry the color of steel with very few strokes. I generally finish with misty slurry on a coticule to obtain a smooth, fluffy shave. The slurry on this one may perhaps need to be a bit heavier.
In any case, I'm very happy to have this stone, and it has alrerady proven to me that it deserves a place in the top tier.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
She’s a beauty Bill!

Top Bottom