What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

WOW! was it in that box already? That's beautiful. It appears someone really prized that stone! No toxic inclusions?
Yes already in the box, but I don't have it yet just bought today. It now has to deal with global shipping from across the pond. I am guess it will be awhile before I have it in hand.

Yes already in the box, but I don't have it yet just bought today. It now has to deal with global shipping from across the pond. I am guess it will be awhile before I have it in hand.
Yeah I know that feeling. Those old stones are always the best, regardless of type. They are always so different than what being sold today, I'm sure the good stuff is still down there, just pricey. Honestly I've found used stones, though a gamble, a far better investment than new stuff. Even with India stones and what not.

Just bought this one, a 5x2.75x7/8” . It’s in the mail

874A1E63-4E33-45F5-8366-38094CF8F0BF.jpeg
6E5E4B8C-EB51-43F5-9C26-8D0BD7D9858A.jpeg

Got the stone today. It’s a nice stone for sure. Did a touch up on a razor, HHT was very good.

Lots of purple in this one. View attachment 1341146
Are the larger red spots garnets? I've got an old one that has a layer between the bbw and coticule that had very big(salt gained) with a visibly rounded face. I don't have a microscope and im nearsighted but I was holding that stone and im pretty sure that what they look like. What else would be big red chunks? Do you know what makes the blue-opalescent looking spots on stone bbws? I've got one that has pea sized spots on the bbw and they are beautiful, and I am clueless.

20210812_215224.jpg

Are the larger red spots garnets? I've got an old one that has a layer between the bbw and coticule that had very big(salt gained) with a visibly rounded face. I don't have a microscope and im nearsighted but I was holding that stone and im pretty sure that what they look like. What else would be big red chunks? Do you know what makes the blue-opalescent looking spots on stone bbws? I've got one that has pea sized spots on the bbw and they are beautiful, and I am clueless.

View attachment 1341233

I really don't know what the coloration is. Seems the ones with red or pink seem to be faster than just plain yellow. You'd probably have to have a bigger sample size than what I have to be certain about that.

I just got very lucky with this thick baby coticule, 10cm x 5cm x 2.4cm, and found a stamp {Super Extra} . Couldn't belive my eyes when I saw it, first time finding a hidden stamped hone!
Some googling makes it out as a Deep Rock and maybe LPB? Has a distinctive blue vien running along the middle of the yellow. I haven't put a razor on it yet but the pale surface feels amazing, very smooth with that perfect amount of drag. I cant wait to try it out.
20211007_143753.jpg

20211007_143823.jpg

20211007_143808.jpg

20211007_143729.jpg

I just got very lucky with this thick baby coticule, 10cm x 5cm x 2.4cm, and found a stamp {Super Extra} . Couldn't belive my eyes when I saw it, first time finding a hidden stamped hone!
Some googling makes it out as a Deep Rock and maybe LPB? Has a distinctive blue vien running along the middle of the yellow. I haven't put a razor on it yet but the pale surface feels amazing, very smooth with that perfect amount of drag. I cant wait to try it out.
View attachment 1341677
View attachment 1341682
View attachment 1341683
View attachment 1341684

Beautiful stone. I have one the same size and similar in color.

View attachment 1341677
View attachment 1341682
View attachment 1341683
View attachment 1341684
Tested out 2 razors, similar to my torrey old rock it is ridiculously abrasive under a razor! Almost like fine sand paper, so different than my new coticules that are silky-slimey. With slurry and pressure I took a completely dull Spike razor and set good arm shaving bevel in about 10 minutes, 10 more minutes with light slurry and medium pressure, then 10 gentle mins with no slurry and bevel nice and bright with HHT pass. I cant believe how fast and effective this rock is from maybe 1.5k to maybe 8k range. Now the shave felt like an 8k shave to me, OK but not as good as im used to now. Also took my fresh perfect shaving 10k synthetic razor and did 20 passes, step down.

Really impressed by the speed, an old 4" rock that can do the work of 3 modern 8" synthetics that cost me ~$170 in same time! Now for finishing i probably need something less abrasive. Maybe ill try followup of my smoother coticules.

Reactions: Wid
Tested out 2 razors, similar to my torrey old rock it is ridiculously abrasive under a razor! Almost like fine sand paper, so different than my new coticules that are silky-slimey. With slurry and pressure I took a completely dull Spike razor and set good arm shaving bevel in about 10 minutes, 10 more minutes with light slurry and medium pressure, then 10 gentle mins with no slurry and bevel nice and bright with HHT pass. I cant believe how fast and effective this rock is from maybe 1.5k to maybe 8k range. Now the shave felt like an 8k shave to me, OK but not as good as im used to now. Also took my fresh perfect shaving 10k synthetic razor and did 20 passes, step down.

Really impressed by the speed, an old 4" rock that can do the work of 3 modern 8" synthetics that cost me ~$170 in same time! Now for finishing i probably need something less abrasive. Maybe ill try followup of my smoother coticules.

Even sounds like how mine acts. They can put a nice edge. I do 25 strokes and rinse both rock and razor. I suppose some laps under running water would work too.

Even sounds like how mine acts. They can put a nice edge. I do 25 strokes and rinse both rock and razor. I suppose some laps under running water would work too.

I didnt try running water but will give it a shot. To my horror I once dropped an arkansas stone while trying running water.... I was worried the stone broke but the stone chipped the sink!

Top Bottom