What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

It is a very nice stone!

Got pics? Baker, is that the deep rock guy?
He used to sell on the various forums and ebay, but has his own shop online now. Pricey for what most of it is.
The baker has a deep rock and a few other vintage coticules, but most of what he sells comes from an old wall someone sold him and he proceeded in to hones. He calls most of them hybrid or a few other layers which they are not. Particularly his overtly green which he calls verte. From learning where this wall came from his description and others descriptions of how hard these stones are along with the colors. I do not think they are true coticules in the way we think. These are more solid hard all the way through like a hybrid, but no typical coticule side to use. These I believe are called pseudocoticule. Useful for final finish, but you won't be slurring one to work up the edge from the get go. My limited understand of these is they don't possess the garnets in numbers like a typical coticule and are of a higher quartz concentration characterized by a quartz + spessartine + hematite assemblage.

Sounds like he should stick to making cookies.

There's one guy on French eBay that sold "strawberry something-something coticule".
Looked weird to me. Perhaps it's the same hustler.

Sounds like he should stick to making cookies.

There's one guy on French eBay that sold "strawberry something-something coticule".
Looked weird to me. Perhaps it's the same hustler.

It wouldn't surprise me. He always had a lot of really interesting looking stones that looked kind of like coticules... usually les latneuses... but not quite right... And then maybe one in 20 stones he listed would be an actual vintage coticule.

He liked to glue everything to black slate that was pretty amateurishly cut and glued to the stones, I'm assuming to try to make them look more like Ardennes stones.

I never bought anything from him because it was always so suspicious but a couple people did and said they got good stones and then a couple others did and said the stones were useless.

If I ever come across anything from him that looks really interesting I might try it but I'd want to do it through eBay to make sure I had the buyer guarantee. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a big part of why he moved away from eBay, from the number of respondents I saw who bought from him, more people were returning the stones than keeping them, so he was being left on the hook for a ton of international shipping. Just making it so you don't get shipping back on a return would be hugely increasing his margin I expect.

FINALLY delivered by USPS today.
PXL_20201217_213418727.jpgPXL_20201217_213459833.jpgPXL_20201217_213600603.jpg

Guess I know what's in store this weekend... Lapping.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice one. They are a pain to lap. SIC is your friend. The hybrid side should give you a really nice shave that's markedly different than your standard coti edge. Let us know what you think about it when you get some shaves in with it.

I lapped mine with wet and dry sandpaper but I used it dry. It was fast. Just blow the dust often. After P400 I went with water.

I don’t know I think that the hybrid side is getting harder with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I lapped mine with wet and dry sandpaper but I used it dry. It was fast. Just blow the dust often. After P400 I went with water.

I don’t know I think that the hybrid side is getting harder with water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve done the same thing with mine, as well as a number of trans arks and turkeys.

Started with wet and dry (used dry) and ended up just using a 120 grit diamond plate dry, and held a medium sized paintbrush at the end of the stone, it swept the dust away as I lapped it 😂
For some reason they seem to be harder to lap when wet ?

40-42 x 209 and 10mm thick in the middle. I don’t see this type of pattern so much on coticules, and I’m under the impression that it’s quite old but not sure how old. It’s likely from a paddle I’d say since it’s unbacked and has those slopes sides that I usually see in old paddle cotis. The backside has the remains of a gorgeous blush red layer and the top side is a coffee with cream color with essentially karasu. More of these dark splotchy layers are seen on the side - very interesting to look at.

It’s quite hard and seems sort of fast, and from the way my razor tree tops hair straight off this stone it seems very fine.

I’m not much of a paddle guy, so I was thinking about buying a RDS or BBW for it. Any thoughts? Anyone have one they aren’t using?

44A7DB97-36A0-46B9-8966-A8965D513D54.jpeg
507EF02A-2E9B-4EC0-A7E0-FFEB0C00AE6C.jpeg
9A89065C-740B-43A9-9DAB-AE3887EDB99C.jpeg
F2ED5044-3F62-4BD8-B4E2-23543F023D35.jpeg
015B4F8C-1B17-4887-BBFF-6549E7D48B11.jpeg

40-42 x 209 and 10mm thick in the middle. I don’t see this type of pattern so much on coticules, and I’m under the impression that it’s quite old but not sure how old. It’s likely from a paddle I’d say since it’s unbacked and has those slopes sides that I usually see in old paddle cotis. The backside has the remains of a gorgeous blush red layer and the top side is a coffee with cream color with essentially karasu. More of these dark splotchy layers are seen on the side - very interesting to look at.

It’s quite hard and seems sort of fast, and from the way my razor tree tops hair straight off this stone it seems very fine.

I’m not much of a paddle guy, so I was thinking about buying a RDS or BBW for it. Any thoughts? Anyone have one they aren’t using?

View attachment 1205127View attachment 1205128View attachment 1205129View attachment 1205130View attachment 1205131

so many people beating me to these great coticules :( if you used that with oil you could be cool and get an ark for the backing, but I would probably just get slate or make some holder for it

so many people beating me to these great coticules :( if you used that with oil you could be cool and get an ark for the backing, but I would probably just get slate or make some holder for it

There aren’t as many great vintage coticule deals anymore... unless the seller doesn’t know what they have.

I just think this coti is so cool I might splurge on a rouge du salm. No oil for me.

eBay is probably the best... there's a lot less than there used to be, but prices haven't spiked YET. Buying new is more expensive typically (just don't get caught up fighting over a labeled or cool-looking stone and eBay is ~20-50% cheaper). And MOST coticules lap really, really easy.

Took a risk on this stone. Only had one picture of the yellow side (See below), seller played dumb when I asked about it. It looked like it was worn down and broken or maybe just cracked and dirty. $40 for either a big BBW with some Coti scraps on it or maybe, just maybe, a 8x2" coti that just needs lapped.

The worn down and broken instinct was right. What a shame though, just look at how gorgeous it is. Can you imagine being the lucky guy a century ago who got to own this beauty in its full 8x2" Glory?

Still, despite being thin there's an ~4.5"x2" stone there

IMG_20210125_150615877.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 33
Top Bottom