What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A vintage glued stone, 7 x 1.5 inches from the flea market. It comes in its own house

97232B02-75A1-491C-B320-9CB0F063B5AB.jpeg
5A9EC336-E9F4-461E-9B9B-B3BBCF9B80BB.jpeg

How are you liking that heljestrand compared to your grelots?
I quite enjoy it actually. I had a mk31 which I found to be too short, the mk10 is about the same length and grind but smaller width. I’m still dialling in the edge but it’s very promising so far. They seem very similar, even down to the hard to hone metal.

I got this one today. My biggest natural combo. (255x60x24, over 1kg)
It has much more yellow coticule than hybrid, but it is a very hard stone. After a 400 diamond plate, it is a very fast cutting stone. Now, after a 1200 Atoma, it is a very fine finisher, but slow. I honed a single bevel Japanese knife, it leaves a good mirror polish, just a little tiny scratches are left. Now it shaves arm hair easily. Much better after the 1200 Atoma. The BBW is softer but it also seems to be a very fine specimen. I think it is a good razor finisher, I will hone a razor to get sure. Maybe it needs a bit more burnishing, but it is very smooth now and you have a nice creamy sharpening feeling.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks, yes the size is good for long x-strokes. I just honed a razor, it passes a good HHT before stropping. The color of the photos are not realistic. It is not a purple BBW like my LPB, it is a very dark one, almost black. It was only taken with a smartphone cam, even the black wooden base looks purple, LOL.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thanks, yes the size is good for long x-strokes. I just honed a razor, it passes a good HHT before stropping. The color of the photos are not realistic. It is not a purple BBW like my LPB, it is a very dark one, almost black. It was only taken with a smartphone cam, even the black wooden base looks purple, LOL.

That is a nice hunk of rock!!!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Gave one of my favorite stones a home today. I don’t usually buy dual grit synthetic at the flea market, but a synthetic today came in a great vintage box. Double checked the measurements, 7x2, so I took it home with my fingers crossed hoping to make a marriage. Popped out the dual and the Coti dropped in perfectly. It could not have been easier with perfect results

A84B180D-6D00-40C0-BC72-94814538EC79.jpeg
9971EDAC-86E2-4B70-9D60-106971651DCA.jpeg
B26CB2E9-9EA5-431D-90A3-D104101AF53B.jpeg

Those single bevel knives are really easy to sharpen and sharp as a scalpel. They are also great for breaking in a stone. The stone gets finer, I like it.
proxy.php

Got a question for the coti lovers here. Has anyone experimented with the slate that some cotis are glued to? Wondering if you can use it with a powder or slurry once it’s lapped flat.

It's too soft to use like a granite plate. It does hone... most slate does. Not well enough to justify using unless you have nothing else, though.

Top Bottom