What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Some of the old material is just so interesting.....

Isn’t it though! I wonder if now they are too choosy on perfect stones and send edgy material to the rubble pile. Stones from intermediate layers/areas are often really cool and unique.

Yeah I would say this is for sure the best looking coti I've owned, and possibly the best looking one I've seen. I touched a razor up on it for todays shave and it's nice, reminds me of some extra-keen LV's I've owned. Fast, ultra-comfy edge, but still top notch sharpness. Man, it's so disappointing. There's like NOTHING there, it's ~1-2mm thick or so. If I actually use it for anything but very gentle touchups, I'd wear through it in no time. Such a shame. I'd Love to a have a real nice big piece of this material.

Legion

Staff member
This arrived in the mail today. From the poor photos I assumed it was a coti, but now I have it in my hands it feels a little weird. It could be a coti that has been used with oil its whole life, or it could be one of those synthetic coticules? The back is slate.

I'll clean it and try it out, I guess.

DSC00538.JPG

Definitely not a natural coti imho. Looks a little like a reform Ark aka Arkaram to my eyes.

Possibly a reform coti, but looks waaaaaaay too course for one (not counting the JGES which are super coarse... they are a black/blue synth back tho, not slate).

So ... I picked up this bout 10 LL a while ago. I lapped it on my Dia-Flat 95 (around 300 grit) and then 400 and 600 w/d. Looked good, and my arms were sure tired, but it just didn't seem to perform. Not nearly the sticktion I'm use to on a really fine stone like the hybrid side.

So today I'm on vacation and took a closer look. I saw lots and lots of swirling scratches. So it's back to the 600 w/d for another round (or rounds) until the scratches are gone.
PXL_20210203_204551123-01.jpeg
Before we rub steel on rocks we have to sand the rocks... Who knew?

timwcic

"Look what I found"
My Wednesday morning market is turning into quite a honey hole and I am on a role with 2x4 Coti’s. A nice, and surprising hard natural with a slight wave came home today. Has a interesting layer in the cream giving it a swirled surface. Also had a third cream band in the BBW. A lot of personality packaged in a small stone

F6160B06-4F1F-474B-9A95-85E78485A497.jpeg
35B2FF90-5E09-4CED-823E-526CF371E407.jpeg
F0796B69-570A-494D-8391-DFF5DA621AC9.jpeg
FEAF4CD3-FE6B-4A56-A048-A1465A07DEFF.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This arrived in the mail today. From the poor photos I assumed it was a coti, but now I have it in my hands it feels a little weird. It could be a coti that has been used with oil its whole life, or it could be one of those synthetic coticules? The back is slate.

I'll clean it and try it out, I guess.

View attachment 1216330

Don’t write off a synthetic, they can be very good finishers. Take it for a test drive

So ... I picked up this bout 10 LL a while ago. I lapped it on my Dia-Flat 95 (around 300 grit) and then 400 and 600 w/d. Looked good, and my arms were sure tired, but it just didn't seem to perform. Not nearly the sticktion I'm use to on a really fine stone like the hybrid side.

So today I'm on vacation and took a closer look. I saw lots and lots of swirling scratches. So it's back to the 600 w/d for another round (or rounds) until the scratches are gone.
View attachment 1217714
Before we rub steel on rocks we have to sand the rocks... Who knew?

Baby bottom smooth stone for a baby bottom smooth shave

I bought this last night. Will follow up when it eventually shows. Not that I was itching to buy a new coti but tubby looking boxes like that always make me wonder how much stone is underneath.... Or treasure... Or treasure maps... (it's usually just wood and a massive glob of horribly insoluble white plaster...). It must a be nice one though, for someone to go that far with the box...
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (10).jpg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Neat stone. Hopefully it will be super thick.

Speaking of which, what’s the thickest coti you guys have ever seen?

My Wednesday morning market is turning into quite a honey hole and I am on a role with 2x4 Coti’s. A nice, and surprising hard natural with a slight wave came home today. Has a interesting layer in the cream giving it a swirled surface. Also had a third cream band in the BBW. A lot of personality packaged in a small stone

View attachment 1217742View attachment 1217743View attachment 1217744View attachment 1217745

Looks like a Petite Blanche ? Is it a fast stone ?
Beautiful little gem.

These are the two thickest I’ve had. The hybrid stone I gifted to a fellow forum member, it was something like 28mm thick. This one is a small chunk, and In this instance the thickness is justified as it is just “as is” when it was likely a mine offcut
45794EA9-4E88-4EBC-A4D2-00F0C0D1AFBB.png
FBAB4508-65E7-45E3-AF22-762BC8808761.png

The thickest I currently own is this at 25mm solid coti, it makes no sense to me that this would have been sold as a solid piece.
It seems to be a dressante with part of the upper layer present, it’s a rock hard stone and you’d never wear through 1/4” of it in a lifetime of razor honing. So I can’t fathom why it wouldn’t have been cut into at least 2 slices especially since its a big stone.
F5224150-BDC9-4B07-B7E0-5EB0CBF09BBA.jpeg
64FFF25B-BAED-497B-87C8-1CEB44E1593A.jpeg

As for stone in that video..... it would have made at least 5 good slices!? If that came from ardennes it must have cost a fortune 😂

Last edited:
Until recently I had a stone that was Yellow/Hybrid/Yellow/BBW... between the two yellow and the hybrid layer it was ~30mm thick I'd guess... then there was just a wisp of BBW on the edge. Thickest one I currently own is a solo Yellow layer and maybe 15-17mm thick?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I have two natural combos that are around 38mm thick, and a solid coticule Dressante bout that's 25mm thick on one side but it tapers down a bit on the other.

Top Bottom