What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

It’s not 18”x6” or anything, but for the market segment I live in (most people call it reality) this is the nicest stone I’ve ever bought by quite a margin.
View attachment 1017959
View attachment 1017960
View attachment 1017961
View attachment 1017962
I immediately lapped it down to an ECTED stone...
View attachment 1017963

Here’s with the other favorites from my stash:
View attachment 1017964
View attachment 1017965

I think I got one from the same seller :).
IMG_3730.JPG

Cool La Dressantes. They can be super razor hones for sure.
I tried to get this stone flat today, with SiC powder and a glass plate. Here together with my Ardennes Coticule LV that I like very much. As said, ultra hard, harder than modern Arks. After four rounds with fresh SiC powder, it is still not completely flat but I will leave it how it is now. There is not much left at one end. Very smooth, moderate speed on slurry, very slow with water, ultra fine. It takes a few minutes longer than usual to finish a razor. I am not sure, but this one could be hand cut. The sides are not really rectangular and there are a kind of saw marks that go along. It is not new, there are some slight traces from clamping at the BBW. It has an interesting double line in the BBW.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Simply impressive. Do you leave it as it is?
I only used a little soap to clean the top but left it alone pretty much except for the side to get an idea of how it looked. Wanted to maintain the finish it came with to see what it would do. I have not really gave it a good test and have had it almost 3 years,maybe more?

I only used a little soap to clean the top but left it alone pretty much except for the side to get an idea of how it looked. Wanted to maintain the finish it came with to see what it would do. I have not really gave it a good test and have had it almost 3 years,maybe more?

You guys always tempt me to move my IRA into stones.

Same seller. If yours is as fast and fine as mine it’s a serious winner. I was kicking myself for not grabbing that wider stone, but now I’ve gotten over it and I’m wondering what else he has coming up!
Have not tested yet, just a quick run with plain water, not even lapped. It polished the edge.
The seller posted a picture of all the stones he bought on the other forum, he got 6 Dressante, 2 Veinnetes, and 2 Grosse Jaune.

hah amateurs using big rocks ((Just jealous is all, although if that seller post a 8x3 dressante or viennete I might crack))
Guess I will post le brick again 5"x2"x1"
JnV749G.jpg

Attachments

• XzxNYKt.jpg
    XzxNYKt.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 11111111111.jpg
    11111111111.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
A small humble bout from TSS.

Using it today to sharpen a pair of very large cleavers.

And later tonight using the cleavers to carve up a fifty pound suckling pig that is roasting all day long.

Photos below

IMG_0394.jpg
IMG_0393.jpg

I’ve got a slightly smaller one that looks a lot like that. I’m pretty confident it’s a la Grosse Blanche. It went from an almost yellow color to a dark leather brown sitting on my shelf over the years

Top Bottom