What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Yeah the seller had it listed for 125 starting originally, so I just put a watch on it didn’t catch when he added the buy it now. Nice score
Same here. I was surprised when Keith told me he got it BIN. It’s not every day I get hone envy but damn that one is nice.

Ot but anyone know what pikeoil was specifically? It's weird the barber hone that came with it is groovy with an oil product and lather gets the skull and crossbones. It's weird and feels nothing like a swaty. Feels almost like whatever compound old school bowling balls were.

ba humbug I want a large coticule still, did get a coticule recently though. Thought I could use a skinny hone in the collection and thought a coticule would be good for that. Got really nice deal on this one. Took a bevel that was on the DMT (removing rust) to popping hairs pretty nicely, don't think it is a finishing coti though.

1OMLDI5.jpg
P2Rm2zw.jpg

Thats a great looking stone, a flawless giant. How are the sharpening characteristics?
IDK yet, I just lapped it very carefully the other day and let it sit while I have a think on the label. I really don't want to seal this one. It just seems like folly given how pristine it is, but that opens up other cans of worms. Lapping it anyway, it felt like those matte pike extra choice selected cotis only it seems to have a hint of a waxy quality those tend to not have. I suspect it will be fast because I was holding this thing around the perimeter to lap it without marring the label and not really using any pressure of note and it was knocking the hell out of the sic wet dry.

ba humbug I want a large coticule still, did get a coticule recently though. Thought I could use a skinny hone in the collection and thought a coticule would be good for that. Got really nice deal on this one. Took a bevel that was on the DMT (removing rust) to popping hairs pretty nicely, don't think it is a finishing coti though.

View attachment 1002378 View attachment 1002379
A lot of the early cotis I have owned had the long, thin form factor. They can be really enjoyable if the characteristics play well with the cut.

An interesting stone that I got for cheap (250x55). It was used much and there is not much left but it was a finest grade stone used for microtome knives. It is glued but has a natural BBW layer at the yellow side. Is was one of these stones with a darker yellow layer between the BBW and top. Now you can hone on this middle layer for the most part of the stone. The surface looks terrible and I hesitated to use even a knife with it after lapping and it was dried. When whet, it looks much better. But these are natural fissure cracks. I can not feel anything with a fingernail or a blade. It is super smooth, fine and fast. Still a nice stone for razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
BB7DEA8C-48B1-4E5A-AE0A-B6DE7A655A68.jpeg

I’m mostly jnat but beginning to explore cotis a bit more. The stone in the back is a glued combo, BBW on the back. It’s from a member her that’s mostly inactive now, bakerandbadger. It’s near kosher, very pure and it’s hard.

The smaller stone was sent to me by my friend and fellow hone enabler, David. It seems to be working (that enabling part, lol). It’s a natural combo and a hard razor coti. I’ve really enjoyed this stone though I’ve only had it a few days and haven’t really gotten it broken in and learned it very well. The edges are stunningly smooth and I hone for a friend here in town with sensitive skin, so we’re going to try and get a coti edge working for him. this is going to be a lot of fun. Thanks David!

View attachment 1002979

I’m mostly jnat but beginning to explore cotis a bit more. The stone in the back is a glued combo, BBW on the back. It’s from a member her that’s mostly inactive now, bakerandbadger. It’s near kosher, very pure and it’s hard.

The smaller stone was sent to me by my friend and fellow hone enabler, David. It seems to be working (that enabling part, lol). It’s a natural combo and a hard razor coti. I’ve really enjoyed this stone though I’ve only had it a few days and haven’t really gotten it broken in and learned it very well. The edges are stunningly smooth and I hone for a friend here in town with sensitive skin, so we’re going to try and get a coti edge working for him. this is going to be a lot of fun. Thanks David!

I think I bid on that short chunky guy on the auctions a while back, but I massively underestimated the value of those manganese streaked stones.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I think I bid on that short chunky guy on the auctions a while back, but I massively underestimated the value of those manganese streaked stones.

These lines aren’t manganese, they’re brown. You can’t feel them and they have the same reflectance as the rest of the stone. There’s some mention way back in the thread about maybe being iron lines. Lol, a pasted coti.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
E13AD1CC-2E1F-4CB6-883A-546F671C32EB.jpeg
The one that Steve just posted has been in my hoard for several years now. I think you may be talking about this one?

View attachment 1002998
The one that Steve just posted has been in my hoard for several years now. I think you may be talking about this one?

That’s the one! How’s she work? I ended up with a hybrid from the French guy that’s worked out really well, but I was pondering that one still the other day. I think I still don’t have one of the truly top shelf standard layer Coticules like Seb keeps posting, but I have my little 30x150 that I’d bet was one of the nicer stamped razor stones.

View attachment 1002979

That is a very pretty coticule, hope it serves you well!

Top Bottom