What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

Picked up this incredible slurry stone!!! Coticules are more of an addiction, you get a great shave off one. Then like they said it’s down the rabbit hole. If your gonna go with coticules make sure you’ve got a thick wallet lol!!!

37D71B2E-755E-4FF4-BDB2-29E8D0A89A1D.jpeg
72D874DD-0F98-48CB-82A1-972BF2967691.jpeg

You don’t know how many times I started too buy that coticule. Incredible natural stone, I hope you enjoy it.

I'm a fairly new straight user and I've had my razors honed to start, out so my plan is to use a coticule to keep the edge fresh as needed. I've been reading a lot and am trying to absorb some of the knowledge and honing lore from this group and it's been incredibly helpful.

I'm a fairly new straight user and I've had my razors honed to start, out so my plan is to use a coticule to keep the edge fresh as needed. I've been reading a lot and am trying to absorb some of the knowledge and honing lore from this group and it's been incredibly helpful.
I would like to get one Coticule in this forum .. but almost people like to keep it.

The glued one is a grosse Blanche and the two combos are petite Blanche. They are not vintage finds but I’ve had them for about 10 years now.

So I sold my 10x2 "For µtome knives only" coticule. Before I even shipped it, I was missing it. It's the kind of stone you can never replace. To help soften the blow, a few days later I stumbled across this stone a few minutes after it was listed with a very reasonable BIN, and managed to snag it. A Boxed and stamped 10x2.5" Natural combo. I investigated the stamp and found that it was ALSO intended for laboratory use. It's not the ultra-fine top grade stone the one I sold was... but it's still kind of funny how a 10" microtome coticule worked its way back into my hands almost immediately. Doesn't really match any of the modern veins (though it doesn't appear more than 60-70 yrs old from the box). Looks identical to like a couple of my smaller, very hard vintage coticules, but it's a great deal faster on water than they are.

Early testing seems to suggest it's about ideal as a dilucot stone. Slurries easily, but doesn't autoslurry. Nice and hard but still with great, consistent feedback, and lightning fast on slurry and water. First shave was a bog standard coticule shave. Extremely comfortable and decently close... but not up to par with my exceptional coticules. Can't win them all, I guess. Still, if I polish it up a bit, I'll see what the best it can do is and maybe it'll still surprise me. Can't complain about it for the price, at least.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.JPG
    IMG_0503.JPG
    730.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0504.JPG
    IMG_0504.JPG
    909.4 KB · Views: 43
photostudio_1555656283105.jpg

Some recent additions.

On the left : a "Special" grade coticule from Ardennes (through a retailer). Next in, another "Special" Ardennes grade stone, this time from TSS and convexed by Jarrod.

These stones are very refined. Capable of being pushed quite high in terms of grit rating equivalence. Maybe a little too refined. Jarrod is right to convex them - the resulting speed increase makes that stone more useful.

Third, is a very very very hard coticule - the hardest I have come across. Behaves like a La Verte and looks a bit like one when wet but much much noisier. Whilst the noise is disconcerting the stone is very easy to use and puts a killer edge on a blade. Very capable with water - you can come off the slurry early and it carries on cutting well which means you don't have to be so precise with your dilution.

The last on the right is a lovely stone. Gives way more feedback than any other coticule I've used and the feedback is more like another stone - reminds me of a Tam O Shanter in feel. I really enjoy using it.

Top Bottom