What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Picked up a nice little slurry stone. It had a chip on one of the corners so I took care off that. It measures 3.5” X 1.5” View attachment 947562

View attachment 947561

Picked this one up a bit ago.

View attachment 949743

Some very good looking rocks

proxy.php

I have had the coticule on the left for some time. When I bought it the seller said it doesn't work with slurry but with water it's an amazing finisher. Well I have tried the stone with slurry and water and not got anywhere. With lather it will refresh an edge nicely, but nothing special. With oil it finishes an edge beautifully.

The smaller stone arrived today and on a whim I thought I might use it as a slurry stone with the larger coticule... A-maz-ing: set a bevel on a vintage Sheffield in minutes diluting to a finished edge with watery slurry. I switched to oil on the bigger coticule and the razor treetopped very nicely. I won't try test shaving until March because I am self imposing using another coticule for the duration of February. Very excited to try an edge from it after that.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Here’s a whopper of a stone I bought from a friend recently. It will finish a razor, but works much better as a bevel setter/midrange stone and sets up an edge perfectly for a finer coticule to finish.
AD937BD4-4E3B-4CF7-92C0-37239C1D9D07.jpeg
E466CACB-6B39-4C06-8AB2-334107B56292.jpeg

timwcic

"Look what I found"
proxy.php

I have had the coticule on the left for some time. When I bought it the seller said it doesn't work with slurry but with water it's an amazing finisher. Well I have tried the stone with slurry and water and not got anywhere. With lather it will refresh an edge nicely, but nothing special. With oil it finishes an edge beautifully.

The smaller stone arrived today and on a whim I thought I might use it as a slurry stone with the larger coticule... A-maz-ing: set a bevel on a vintage Sheffield in minutes diluting to a finished edge with watery slurry. I switched to oil on the bigger coticule and the razor treetopped very nicely. I won't try test shaving until March because I am self imposing using another coticule for the duration of February. Very excited to try an edge from it after that.

Here’s a whopper of a stone I bought from a friend recently. It will finish a razor, but works much better as a bevel setter/midrange stone and sets up an edge perfectly for a finer coticule to finish. View attachment 951781View attachment 951782

Nice rocks

Even after lapping the veins are pronounced which makes it unsuitable for straight razors but as a knife hone I haven't come across anything like it. It ripped through each of my kitchen knives in minutes. They have never been so sharp.
proxy.php

Top Bottom