What's new

Coticule love... show off your rock

That's an interesting stone. It's wavy where the faces meet, like a natural combo, but the backing looks like slate - I'm confused.

I know that thin manganese trace lines don't interfere with honing but are those larger patches the same consistency as the coti material? It seems like you should be able to feel the edge pass over such a radical change in the composition of the base material.

IIRC, you were the one who told me manganese traces generally indicate as faster, finer grain coticule. How does that affect a stone like this, or does it?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
It's wavy where the faces meet, like a natural combo, but the backing looks like slate - I'm confused.
It’s a natural combo. The part that looks like slate is just a big patch of manganese.

I know that thin manganese trace lines don't interfere with honing but are those larger patches the same consistency as the coti material?
I haven’t honed on this one yet, but generally speaking
the manganese spots are the same consistency as the stone and you don’t feel them at all while honing.
IIRC, you were the one who told me manganese traces generally indicate as faster, finer grain coticule. How does that affect a stone like this, or does it?
I only have a few that are spotted up like this, and they are all a touch below what I’d call super hard and super fast. I’ll have to get back to you after I’ve had some time to play around with this stone. @caccia has a few spotted cotis, maybe he can weigh in.

Here is a pic of a couple spotted coti's I have and they are not hard to get a slurry going and are fast and fine stones,more than capable for finishing (yet take metal off pretty quick).
IMG_0795.jpg

There it is. I never get tired of looking at that stone

It (the smaller one) was my first coticule ever.I did not know what it was and I bought it in its original box (long gone) about 25 years ago for $5.00 with a couple other stones.I tried it on knives back when and decided it was too soft for that,putting a little gouge in it.It was is a drawer for 20 years before deciding I would try straight shaving.I remember on the box was written it was the best razor hone,and it could have been an Old Hickory?You don't see many with a nice looking spotted pattern it seems.

David

It (the smaller one) was my first coticule ever.I did not know what it was and I bought it in its original box (long gone) about 25 years ago for $5.00 with a couple other stones.I tried it on knives back when and decided it was too soft for that,putting a little gouge in it.It was is a drawer for 20 years before deciding I would try straight shaving.I remember on the box was written it was the best razor hone,and it could have been an Old Hickory?You don't see many with a nice looking spotted pattern it seems.
It’s got the same look as the old hickorys. Is it a natural combo?

Here is a pic of a couple spotted coti's I have and they are not hard to get a slurry going and are fast and fine stones,more than capable for finishing (yet take metal off pretty quick).View attachment 890671
Beautiful stones, thank you for posting them.

I am looking forward to hearing about its performance. I don't know why, but a touch of pink has been a good sign for me.

My first coti has a bit of a pinkish blush to it as well, it's a pretty fast stone and was a great intro to cotis for me. I've been curious if the pinkish color could be an indicator of a good stone as I look for others. Jarrod's latest batch has a number of stones that are down right "Rosacea" looking, some even look like they've been peppered with red patches. I'm curious how they'd perform in comparison to a pinkish stone. His prices seem a little higher on this batch too and I'm wondering if this reflects higher prices across the board from Ardennes or if they're finer in quality than his last batch.

If you notice he charges higher for the ones with the pink/reddish spots even among the same group. I think he is just charging for the looks since I don't see where he indicates better quality or speed with those stones. He will also charge more for a stone with no marks at all on top or a natural combo. Now there could still be a bump in quality on those stones, but when most of us talk about manganese or red/pink indicating a faster or better quality we are usually speaking of vintage so new stones from new mine may not work the same.

If you notice he charges higher for the ones with the pink/reddish spots even among the same group. I think he is just charging for the looks since I don't see where he indicates better quality or speed with those stones. He will also charge more for a stone with no marks at all on top or a natural combo. Now there could still be a bump in quality on those stones, but when most of us talk about manganese or red/pink indicating a faster or better quality we are usually speaking of vintage so new stones from new mine may not work the same.

I have noticed the combo stones are priced higher and it makes sense, the backing is usable as well - though not usually as fine as the yellow coti. Some of the rest does appear to be going the route of JNats, where "pretty" stones cost more.

Given the geological timeline involved in forming these stones it makes sense, at least to some degree, that traits inherent to vintage cotis should hold true with similar contemporary stones as well.

A few weeks ago I emailed Ardennes to ask about the possibility of getting a few stones. I asked about a Les Lat in the general range of 50~70x150mm and if any stones were currently being produced showing manganese trace lines. Just a general, "Is it possible to buy?" "How much would it cost?" type of email... I never received an answer, or even an acknowledgement that they got my email. So much for buying direct :nonod:.

I have noticed the combo stones are priced higher and it makes sense, the backing is usable as well - though not usually as fine as the yellow coti. Some of the rest does appear to be going the route of JNats, where "pretty" stones cost more.

Given the geological timeline involved in forming these stones it makes sense, at least to some degree, that traits inherent to vintage cotis should hold true with similar contemporary stones as well.

A few weeks ago I emailed Ardennes to ask about the possibility of getting a few stones. I asked about a Les Lat in the general range of 50~70x150mm and if any stones were currently being produced showing manganese trace lines. Just a general, "Is it possible to buy?" "How much would it cost?" type of email... I never received an answer, or even an acknowledgement that they got my email. So much for buying direct :nonod:.

I would give them time and maybe try again. I think only his daughter answers the emails and they are busy. The time of year can make a difference too. I dealt with them a few times and it took time, but was worth it in the end for me.

My first coti has a bit of a pinkish blush to it as well, it's a pretty fast stone and was a great intro to cotis for me. I've been curious if the pinkish color could be an indicator of a good stone as I look for others. Jarrod's latest batch has a number of stones that are down right "Rosacea" looking, some even look like they've been peppered with red patches. I'm curious how they'd perform in comparison to a pinkish stone. His prices seem a little higher on this batch too and I'm wondering if this reflects higher prices across the board from Ardennes or if they're finer in quality than his last batch.[/QUOTE]

I have a pink Dressante that is a wonderful hone to use and the really faint pink has been a good sign for me as well, but the much darker red stripes haven't been as good to me. That isn't saying that they are bad by any stretch. I just haven't had the incredible fineness that has accompanied the slight pink hue.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
This coticule followed me home from the market today. A natural 2" x 8" stone that is extra fat at 1 1/8" thick. Gave it a quick toss on a 100 grit diamond disk that I have been using of late to see what is under the funk. These disks on a granite slab make short work of all stones, including novaculite. Will finish it off with some higher grit and give it a good home. First picture is condition as found

82ADACB2-C80B-43AC-9850-D6B79F2E77DA-1074-0000009D462B200A.jpeg
41692D97-C3B9-4BFF-AA58-6B0979AA6211-1074-0000009DBAD61DF2.jpeg
16EA02D8-DA8A-4A71-9B15-EAEA8F150427-1074-0000009DE46004E1.jpeg
2FF84037-F16E-49F3-AB00-4A8BDF286D9C-1074-0000009D836A4271.jpeg
6892515C-3A6A-4A79-9248-0157B1E35CFE-1074-0000009E2E0E6CAD.jpeg

David

Nice stone Tim. I love those extra thick cotis, they make bench honing easier to me, especially with knives.

Top Bottom