What's new

Coticule ID Speculation

I know it's hard to identify the vintage rocks, but you folks sure seem to have a knack!

I got a bout in the mail today and have done a lot of research. If I had to guess I would say La Dressante, but I can't find another quite like it. At certain angles it shows kind of an unusual iridescence. Has some faint red spots and self-slurries very little.

Any ideas?

20221215_191223.jpg

20221215_191310.jpg

20221215_191334.jpg

20221215_191434.jpg

Also would guess la gris. Not many layers that I know of have that tiger striping except la gris. But it could be anything, I'm not good a identifying layers. I have a newer la gris from AC. It's great. Mine is not as fine as I'd use on a razor but I could probably make it work. It's one of my favorite coticule for heavy lifting. Mine is very fast, but it auto slurries a little. I'm actually giving it to my son this Christmas so he can keep his tools and knives sharp. He's 9. I have him a coticule slurry stone and told him he could use it to build slurry on his hard ark but I don't think he realizes he's getting a 200mm coticule for Christmas. He's a really bright kid though. It should be interesting on Christmas morning.

Gentlemen,

As always, thank you for the knowledgeable replies. Armed with that info, I went with a progression of:
Soft Ark for bevel set,
Unknown faster Coti dilucot to thin slurry,
La Grise starting on very thin slurry to running water.

No shave yet, but it's not terrible!

20221215_234045.jpg

Gentlemen,

As always, thank you for the knowledgeable replies. Armed with that info, I went with a progression of:
Soft Ark for bevel set,
Unknown faster Coti dilucot to thin slurry,
La Grise starting on very thin slurry to running water.

No shave yet, but it's not terrible!

View attachment 1572864
Hope it's good! Ilove those calico soft arks. All the ones I've got that have a pink blush are really hard and with a light touch id imagine and coticule will give up a shave, at least the ones I've used. I've recently gotten a new found appreciation for good coticule and bbws. It's about all I've used lately for everything. They're great for any blade you own.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I've seen several tiger striped Dressante stones, but they have a different look that yours. IIRC there's several striped LD's in the vault.

Top Bottom