What's new

Coticule Chip - How to fix?

Greetings! I seek consultation regarding a chip in my coticule stone. It's on the edge, and I've lapped the surface, but it feels like the blade edge catches the chip, and I'm concerned about chipping my blade.

So, shall I take my DMT plate to the side and lap away the chip altogether? Or, leave be and do my best to avoid the area?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and guidance here.
IMG_2565.jpeg
IMG_2566.jpeg
IMG_2567.jpeg

Just make a wide chamfer that’s just wide enough to cover the chip. As you lap the stone with use the chip will get smaller and smaller. No need to waste good stone lapping it out.
Chamfer was the term I should have used. Thanks! I think this is what I will do.

Greetings! I seek consultation regarding a chip in my coticule stone. It's on the edge, and I've lapped the surface, but it feels like the blade edge catches the chip, and I'm concerned about chipping my blade.

So, shall I take my DMT plate to the side and lap away the chip altogether? Or, leave be and do my best to avoid the area?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and guidance here.
View attachment 1648120View attachment 1648121View attachment 1648122
Just chamfer it until it's out of the way and you should be solid. I feel like I'm constantly having to lap these out and I do it in any way that saves the most stone.

When I have a chip like that, I chamfer the edge in as noted above, and then I seal the interior of the remaining chipped area with nail polish.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
When I have a chip like that, I chamfer the edge in as noted above, and then I seal the interior of the remaining chipped area with nail polish.
Great idea. Never thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom