What's new

Coticule box upgrade

Recently I received a new Coticule from a member on the forum. I will say that this particular stone gave me a new appreciation for what an amazing Coticule is capable of. That said, the box that Ardennes provides is great, but as they do produce them on a mass scale they are definitely lacking so I decided it to give it an upgrade. Filigree hinges, clasp, padded lining, a good sanding and finishing with tung and teak oil. I think I need to make a few more boxes for my other stones.

4C5CB9F9-DE93-4ED5-B896-083ECC0FBB0C.jpeg
CC582D0B-C3B8-4AA0-9B9B-229088689BD1.jpeg

I have read that tread a few times. Unfortunately I just don’t have the time to do it at the moment. I really should make one for my Escher though.

That looks great, very functional too! I should do the same with my Dan's Translucent and Surgical Black Arks. I'm always afraid they are gonna just fly out of the box some day.
Matt

Its an absolutely amazing stone! Completely changed how I viewed Coticules and taught me that an 8x3 stone, while nice, is completely unnecessary. I have actually begun to prefer smaller, narrower stones.

What did you use for the padded lining. I thought about this on a much larger box for multiple stone storage, but couldn't find a good lining for it.

Its an absolutely amazing stone! Completely changed how I viewed Coticules and taught me that an 8x3 stone, while nice, is completely unnecessary. I have actually begun to prefer smaller, narrower stones.[/QUOTE. I have always preferd and used 150 x40 mm or 175 x 40 mm it’s plenty for a razor . What method have you used with your coticule?

What did you use for the padded lining. I thought about this on a much larger box for multiple stone storage, but couldn't find a good lining for it.
I used a wafer thin piece of wood (got it at a hobby shop) for the base to easily form and attach the fabric and the foam to. The padding is thin closed cell craft foam.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
@gary haywood I have used the standard dilucot using x-strokes and elipticot but what really chanced things was watching and replicating you technique in the attached videos. By the way, that Les Lat is a beauty, hopefully one day I will have one in my collection.

Top Bottom