What's new

Costco's 'Kirkland' brand

Sitting here at work with my Kirkland brand dress shirt. I have received a lot of compliments today on it.

Oh, and for those who are wondering, I believe Diamond makes the grain free Costco dogfood. Have had my lab mix on it for three years and she loves it.

Other items at Costco made by named brands...

Running shoes made by Fila

Shampoo/conditioner made by Philosophy. Philosophy brand shampoo is about $75 a liter, Costco brand is about $10.

Women's tights made by Lu Lu Lemon

As mentioned Vodka by Grey Goose

And others I can't remember right now.

Kirkland wines are good. And I won't buy anything but Kirkland's undershirts, as the quality is top notch for the price.

Don't even get me started on their pies... haha.

I've eyed their dress shirts for ages, but have never tried one for some reason. Ever since I've been on B&B, though, I've repeatedly read good reports. I'll have to give them a shot.

Reading back through this thread, I agree with the love for the Kirkland Olive oil, and I'd add the Coconut oil is great. As a matter of fact, I prefer Kirkland brand on both of those over almost any I've ever tried.

Here is a Kiplinger article dealing with the best things to buy at Costco. My nephew at one time was a manager at Costco and one of the departments he was in charge of was jewelry. He said that diamonds and gold jewelry at Costco are of excellent quality and their markup was half as much as jewelry stores.

The olive oil is indeed excellent, especially the Tuscan and the Organic. I also like their big bottles of fish oil, and they have excellent prices on protein powder.

Their trash bags and paper towels and toilet paper are also really good.

Most active thread in The Hab today....vodka and dog biscuits! LOL!

I haven't tried Kirkland brand clothing, although it is time for a restock of undershirts. I shall give these a try. As an aside, Costco has surprised me with some of the outside brands they warehouse from time to time. 8 years ago I was on the hunt for a rugged winter work jacket and was having a hard time justifying a purchase on anything. One trip to Costco and there it was; an Arctic Carhartt jacket for 70% less than retail. The jacket is still going strong today.

Vitamins and Supplements are a good price, too. I take the Multivitamin, which costs about half the price of Centrum.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I love Costco and they do have some pretty solid deals on clothes. As already mentioned, the undershirts are awesome, as are the colored all-cotton t-shirts. The dress shirts aren't quite as good as they used to be, but are a great value if you can get on with the sleeve length. The chinos and wool dress slacks are pretty decent too. A good tip is to check the website for sizes (mostly big and tall) that they don't carry in the b&m store. Shipping is free and returns are the same as buying at the store, so it's as riskfree as online shopping gets.

I got a Costco membership a few years back when I needed to get a set of tires for my car. Not only did they have the best price, but they were the only local place that used Nitrogen to pump up the tires, which provided a much better ride and also held pressure much better than regular air.
Add to that lifetime rotation and repairs, it adds up to a pretty good deal.

I loved to shop the aisles there, but I didn't buy much. Although they had great selection and good prices, almost everything I could use needed to be bought in bulk.

I liked their prices on grocery items, but living alone, I didn't want to buy 2 loaves of bread at one time. I didn't want 12 pounds of ground beef, or enough cereal to feed a small army.

I did get some full-spectrum twisty bulbs there. $7 for a six-pack of 75watters. And I bought some SD Memory cards for my computer and camera.

I like that they carry some fairly high end consumer electronics at good prices, and I would probably buy my next one from them if I'm ever rich enough to afford the monster PC I've been drooling over.

I let my membership lapse after one year, but I still walk through the store to windowshop when I'm in the area.

And when I need tires again, I will gladly go back and pay the membership again to take advantage of their good prices and excellent service.

The amount of things we get from costco that make our membership worth it alone is ridiculous:
  • eggs - We go through a lot of eggs.
  • Allergy Meds
  • Contacts - Though the gap is closing from elsewhere
  • Glasses - Once every few years
Everything else is just gravy.

The amount of things we get from costco that make our membership worth it alone is ridiculous:
  • Allergy Meds
Everything else is just gravy.

+1 on this alone. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. If you buy the Kirkland brand version of the allergy meds like Allegra or Zyrtek (I'm probably not spelling those correctly...), the savings there is more than enough to cover the cost of membership. It's amazing. I take them during the spring/summer and for 360 pills (I think that's what is in a bottle of the Kirkland pills) it was $11 when I bought it last. Versus ~$30 a month for the other stuff.

My eye doc prescribes me over the counter drops for dry eyes. I was paying $13 a bottle at my pharmacy and they lasted me (maybe) 2 months. I started buying the bulk packs at Costco for $19 and they've lasted me over half a year and still going. Throw some toilet paper and household cleaning supplies in there; Membership warranted. It's going there that I can't stand lol.

+1 on this alone. I forgot about that until you mentioned it. If you buy the Kirkland brand version of the allergy meds like Allegra or Zyrtek (I'm probably not spelling those correctly...), the savings there is more than enough to cover the cost of membership. It's amazing. I take them during the spring/summer and for 360 pills (I think that's what is in a bottle of the Kirkland pills) it was $11 when I bought it last. Versus ~$30 a month for the other stuff.

Yep, I'm definitely talking about the Kirkland versions. I had always gotten them from there, and when my wife picked up some Allegra from Target when we were dating, I couldn't believe the difference!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The remarkable thing about Costco is the money saving over time. My expenses initially shot up, because I was paying more gross dollars. After the initial jump, outlay per month has gone way down, because I am paying fewer marginal dollars per good, and my stock of goods is lasting much longer.

Top Bottom