What's new

Cost of a shot of Maker's Mark at a restaurant survey

I was out with a couple of co-workers last Friday night and ordered Maker's Mark neat. I then had to explain what "neat" meant, no ice or mixer to the waitress. When I received the bill at the end of my meal I found I was charged 7.99 for the drink.
I do not drink at bars or restaurants as a habit and when I do it is normally beer.
I was wondering if this cost was average across the country or what side of the curve I was at for a call liquor at this price level.

$8.00 is pretty average at a decent bar/lounge or restaurant in Chicago.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I drink at home. More money left over for the mortgage, groceries, and kids in college.

The mortgage and the college bill are why I drink in the first place.

Yeah $8.00 is pretty average for a shot of middle-shelf bourbon Makers Mark. You'll see that price at any decent bar/lounge or restaurant here in Chicago.

So, assuming a 50ml pour, there are 15 pours in a bottle (750/50=15). If you drink at home, at $8/pour, you pay for the bottle in 3 drinks and get 12 free drinks. In addition, you don't have to worry about transportation or getting mugged. Sounds like a bargain.

So, assuming a 50ml pour, there are 15 pours in a bottle (750/50=15). If you drink at home, at $8/pour, you pay for the bottle in 3 drinks and get 12 free drinks. In addition, you don't have to worry about transportation or getting mugged. Sounds like a bargain.

This math works with pretty much ALL booze. I can usually buy the entire 6-pack for what I pay for 1-2 bottles of beer, buy the bottle of wine for the cost of 2 glasses (wine is probably the most reasonable of the three). Do the math on a keg of beer! Really makes owning a bar seem like a no-fail proposition unless there are some REALLY stiff taxes they pay but retailers don't (and I'm sure there are).

This math works with pretty much ALL booze. I can usually buy the entire 6-pack for what I pay for 1-2 bottles of beer, buy the bottle of wine for the cost of 2 glasses (wine is probably the most reasonable of the three). Do the math on a keg of beer! Really makes owning a bar seem like a no-fail proposition unless there are some REALLY stiff taxes they pay but retailers don't (and I'm sure there are).

I agree.

I'm always surprised when I order whiskey neat that bartenders and wait staff don't know what that means. If I just say the name of the spirit I never know whether they think I want ice, a chilled glass, a shot glass, or some other nonsense. I just want a pour in a lowball at room temperature.

I think "straight" is probably a more familiar american term for it. I get blank looks when I say a "dram" as well.

Then again, I have to explain a "half and half" at bars, even IRISH bars here in the south, to ensure I don't get some sort of iced tea abomination so my standards may be low :p

I've been charged $5.99-$9.99 in the greater Pittsburgh area, depending on the 'elegance' of the restaurant. That averages out to $7.99, inline with what people have posted from other parts of the country.

I'm always surprised when I order whiskey neat that bartenders and wait staff don't know what that means. If I just say the name of the spirit I never know whether they think I want ice, a chilled glass, a shot glass, or some other nonsense. I just want a pour in a lowball at room temperature.

I don't get surprised; I get irritated. Especially if they bring a shot glass.

Just make sure you don't order it in a hotel bar, if you think $8 is high. My wife and I went for a night cap and she ordered a drink that looked like a piece of commissioned art and I had a neat bourbon for myself. Hers was $14 and mine came to $17. I've never been too sure if it was a mistake, a one off, or if it was the norm, but I haven't ordered one in a hotel since lol

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I would recommend that you not order cocktails in NYC if you don't want to get a heart attack.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
At our local 'watering-hole / pub' (Cecil's), a shot of Makers is $5.50! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"A restaurant is a fantasy...a kind of living fantasy [in which the food, booze & ambiance] are the most important members of the cast”. Warner LeRoy

Top Bottom