What's new

Cosmetic Blemishes on my Wapi increasing

Hey there,

I purchased first straight from Fendrihan which is a Wapi. They informed on the website that it may have some cosmetic blemishes due to it is old new stock. I read around to check reviews and from what i read they are good razors and work well. It cost me 80 for the wapi, thought pretty good deal because it got new scales and it was pre-honed to be shave ready.

Now here is the problem, when i got it there were minor blemishes, but all in all it was mirror finish all over the razor. After using it for a like month or so, there seem to be more blemished coming. I make sure one i am done to dry the razor and both inside and outside the scales. After i strop i use a micro cloth, the ones used on glasses, to clean and put it away in my case until tomorrow. Now some of the blemishes seem to be a little orangey looking. I am like "WHAT, RUST?", How can this be happening if make sure to keep it clean and dry? I read if you use it everyday there is reason to put razor oil on it.

So, I am wondering if other people have had this problem with straights before.
Any advice would help.

Does sound like rust forming, where do you store it, in your bathroom? Is where you live particularlyhumid?

Are you making sure the inside of the scales are free of water/moisture? It's easy to miss small water droplets inside, once you close the razor the blade is now exposed to that water. If that isn't the case, if its being stored in your bathroom, moisture from showers, baths etc will also cause water marks or rust. Try keeping it out of the bathroom when not in use, I use my closet to store my razors.

For the other part, cleaning the blemishes, you can use Mothers metal wheel polish to remove some of the water stains, as far as I remember the Fendrihan Wapis have no goldwash or anything that could be affected by the polish.

Last edited:
I make sure everything is dry. I dry off the blade, i use my cloth on the blade and pass it through the inside of the scales, then i strop it a few times. I place it in a pouch, put it in a drawer for the next day. Yes i do leave it in washroom where my family showers, but right now it is winter. The humidity is non-existent and after a shower the steam is gone very quickly.

I will maybe try to keep it out of the washroom and see what happens.

Thanks for the info

I use 2 pieces of toilet tissue on the blade and inside the scales. I am not sure about those microcloths and their absorption. I also use a treated cotton sleeve purchased at Superior Shave and have had no problems, even in humid south Louisiana.

I will maybe try to keep it out of the washroom and see what happens.

That is probably your best bet man. Even if there is not water physically on the blade, like water drops, moist air can cause this. That is why some people go so far as to store their razors with a tiny dehumidifier in the drawer with it.

So, I think it is a good idea to store it out of the bathroom, and away from the shower.

I have two Wapis and they are known for getting water spots but I doubt it's rust at this point. Have you used any cleaning/polishing abrasive yet? MAAS works great and cleans it up well.

Hi I know I'm a Newby, but I couldn't resist making this my first Post....

When I first noticed a tarnish spot on my brand new Dovo. I got Paranoid. I started oiling it with camelia Oil from SRD, every morning after drying it and keeping it in a 6"x 8" box big enough to hold a couple of Silica Gel Packs made for Stack-On gun safes....

The Box Is kept out of the Bathroom......

Hi I know I'm a Newby, but I couldn't resist making this my first Post....

When I first noticed a tarnish spot on my brand new Dovo. I got Paranoid. I started oiling it with camelia Oil from SRD, every morning after drying it and keeping it in a 6"x 8" box big enough to hold a couple of Silica Gel Packs made for Stack-On gun safes....

The Box Is kept out of the Bathroom......

Welcome aboard!:001_smile

If it's a small bathroom I would definitely avoid putting any razors in there. I keep one of my cases of razors in my bathroom but it opens to the master bedroom.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Microfiber cloths aren't the most absorbent either. It's possible it's leaving behind some moisture maybe.

Top Bottom