What's new

Coronation Street Fans?

Any Coronation Street fans out there? Such a great show. I was addicted to it in a serious way for many years and then drifted away when the kids came along. Some of the old characters were so epic. e.g. Hilda, Bette, Jack, Mike Baldwin...so many. Started to watch it again recently and was amazed at how I picked up on story lines so quickly. Nice escape from the miseries of the world.

I had a pint in the Rovers Return last month.....well the mockup in Madame Tussauds in Blackpool:
proxy.php

I've seen a fair amount around maybe 1992-2005, not really by choice but there were some great characters.

My Mom used to watch it in the late 70’s and 80’s when the CBC ran it Sunday mornings (I guess they still do).
Of course Mom would never admit to watching it...but amazingly the tv just happened to be on the right channel at the right time every Sunday morning.
Mom’s favourite character had to have been Hilda, the lady who constantly had her hair in curlers and a kerchief. “Ohhh, why don’t they let that poor girl let her hair down”, Mom would plead.
Another favourite was the brassy, buxomy barmaid (is there any other kind?) who wore quite possibly the last known beehive in western civilization (pictured in that Madame Tussauds photo). And Mom always wondered why didn’t that mousey Deirdre just leave that wet-blanket Ken and hook up with the man-about-town Mike?
Of course if you asked Mom about any storylines that you might’ve missed, she’d sniff and say, “Ohhh, I don’t watch it...it’s just on in the background”, once again it just happened to be on the right channel at the right time every Sunday morning:001_rolle.

Mom’s favourite character had to have been Hilda, the lady who constantly had her hair in curlers and a kerchief. “Ohhh, why don’t they let that poor girl let her hair down”, Mom would plead.
The only episode that I saw Hilda without her curlers and kerchief was the special episode when the Queen came to visit the street. Queen Elizabeth was/is a big fan of Coronation Street. And of course Hilda being a right proper lady would never meet the Queen with curlers in her hair.

I remember hearing about that episode but never saw it as I had long moved out of Mom and Dad’s place and had moved on from Corrie Street.
I imagine Mom’s reaction to Hilda with her hair down was much like when she saw Jean Stapleton on the Mike Douglas Show speaking in her regular voice as opposed to her Edith Bunker character. Mom was absolutely shocked!
I’ve done some Googling and found other memorable characters from the past like Annie Walker, the stuck up owner of Rover’s Return, Ena Sharples, a grumpy old bag who seemed to live at the pub and Albert, an ancient, bespectacled gent in a cloth cap who’s only dialogue consisted of ordering rum.
In reading up on Corrie Street there was great emphasis on the strong women characters and how the men were portrayed mostly as bumbling oafs (looking at you, Jack Duckworth and lumpish Eddie...)
Wow, for mocking my Mom’s non-viewing of this show, and even without Google, I seem to have retained a fair bit of knowledge about this show.
Shoot me. Shoot me right bloody now.

I can remember Ken teaching Raquel French, and if memory serves correct-ish, that would be about early 1993 maybe? Anyway, have not missed an episode since then! I can think of no reason what so ever that hooks me in there, I just can't give up! Love it now that they've expanded their new set so much that there's so many places and stories to shoot with in an episode!

I haven't watched the program for the last 9 years, but Jack and Vera were my favorites, a bit of "pop culture" was lost when they retired from the show.

Top Bottom