What's new

Corona Virus - Anyone Else Monitoring It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet China will never tell the extent of this desease..... but then again, now with cases in other countries...we may learn more of the virus.... how infectious it's is , vaccine development, mutations, response to antivirals and finally: real infection to death ratios.....
Only time will tell
For the SARS "epidemic" i used to work in a hospital 1hr away from Toronto....NOT fun at all....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It's sort of a supercold rather than the flu. Different class of virus. That despite it being dubbed the Wuflu some days back.
I prefer the name Kung Flu. :)
Do those N95 type masks really help limit viral transmission? I seem to remember during one of the previous outbreaks, some discussion that those masks don't really do much anyway.
They are good at keeping the largest transmitter of disease (your hands) away from your mouth and nose.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
They've stopped giving the times of updates on the real time map.

As of 8AM this morning, this is what its showing.

Feb.2 20202 8AM EST.jpg

2604 new cases since 10AM EST yesterday, but no idea when that information was last updated.

Its pretty sad that my cynicism has reached new heights.

Most years "they" crank up the hype machine around the standard flu, seemingly to drive more people to go get the flu $hots, so Big Pharma can make their $$$$.

The hype around this "outbreak" is bizarre. Based upon reported numbers, it doesn't seem to be any more lethal than the standard flu, yet its getting the "OMG!" treatment by the media.

"They" have changed common childhood illnesses such as the chicken pox (which we all had and survived) into "major threats to life and limb!", so that everyone needs vaccinations or you can't attend school, etc etc.

I'm calling shenanigans on the whole thing.

Conspiracy theorist?

Why yes. I do believe that people in power can and do conspire against us for profit and control.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

Maybe...

The major news media isnt publishing this picture, but that was, apparently, three days ago somewhere in Wuhan province.

dead-man-wuhan.jpg

CNN reported that real estimates are at 75,000+ infected and expect the number to double every 6.4 days.

Official Coronavirus Count Nears 12,000 but This Model Estimates 75,000 Infections - https://www.ccn.com/official-coronavirus-count-nears-12000-but-this-model-estimates-75000-infections/

The truth will come out eventually. It always does.

Most years "they" crank up the hype machine around the standard flu, seemingly to drive more people to go get the flu $hots, so Big Pharma can make their $$$$.

The hype around this "outbreak" is bizarre. Based upon reported numbers, it doesn't seem to be any more lethal than the standard flu, yet its getting the "OMG!" treatment by the media.

"They" have changed common childhood illnesses such as the chicken pox (which we all had and survived) into "major threats to life and limb!", so that everyone needs vaccinations or you can't attend school, etc etc.

Conspiracy theorist?

Why yes. I do believe that people in power can and do conspire against us for profit and control.

I would have agreed with you up until a couple days ago when I coincidentally read this article on herd immunity in a book. Now I understand why only half the population needs the flu vaccine for it to die out each season. It's because each person can only expose two other people and only one of those will get the flu.

Four people get the corona virus from each person infected. That makes it eight times more contagious. (At this stage, the numbers are probably educated guesses). Since there is no vaccine, the virus can't be stopped. The only hope is strict quarantine.

The childhood diseases weren't a big deal before vaccines. Lots of kids died because of the large number of kids, but nobody kept the statistics. A person with measles typically gives it to 18 other people. This means about 95% of the population needs to be immunized to stop the spread of the virus.

Compared to drunk drivers, none of these diseases are high risk. So, I don't want to hear about eradicating these diseases until drunk drivers are eradicated.

I'm monitoring the situation, but I'm not hitting the panic button, and I am glad that authorities are playing it safe.

One place I do not see hype is in reading heath organization announcements. What I do see is an appreciation for the limits of what we know about this virus, its lethality in various segments of the population, and its R0 (R-naught). Nothing in the current situation has as yet changed my attitudes about the media, big-pharma, or government officials. They're doing what they do, and my focus is not on them but on keeping people healthy.

"Better safe than sorry" is my view.

Maybe...

The major news media isnt publishing this picture, but that was, apparently, three days ago somewhere in Wuhan province.

View attachment 1059216

CNN reported that real estimates are at 75,000+ infected and expect the number to double every 6.4 days.

Official Coronavirus Count Nears 12,000 but This Model Estimates 75,000 Infections - https://www.ccn.com/official-coronavirus-count-nears-12000-but-this-model-estimates-75000-infections/

The picture caption said they didn't know if the guy was dead, and if so, if he had died from the corona virus.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Conspiracy theorist?

I’ve been getting the flu shot for 10 years- I haven’t got the flu since. I have felt symptoms come on, but it only lasts a few hours. I had the chicken pox vaccine so I never got it. Guess I don’t have to worry about shingles so much now. Ask someone who has had shingles if they wished that the CP vaccine was available when they were young.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The picture caption said they didn't know if the guy was dead, and if so, if he had died from the corona virus.

No, its pretty vague but if you look around the net, that city of 11 million is basically deserted. I think I read that 64 million people are on lockdown.

A masked body lying on the sidewalk could be for one of many reasons, but it sure gives one pause.

I am on the frontline with health care and we are not too worried about the corona virus, we have N95's to place on anyone we think is affected and check their recent travel /contact history to determine if we need further precautions. Standard isolation/ infection controls are sufficient. As part of "them" I can tell you there is no national or global conspiracy at work here, just the result of high population areas with sketchy hygienic practices.

Attachments

• 20200126-ncov-ipc-during-health-care.pdf
    203.5 KB · Views: 10
See this is what happens when people eat wired **** like bats monkeys and other wired animals.i think aids was created when some guy smashed pink bits with a monkey or ate a monkey something involving a monkey don’t know if it was intercouse but It had some wired thing like that. I maybe over reacting abit.

I am on the frontline with health care and we are not too worried about the corona virus, we have N95's to place on anyone we think is affected and check their recent travel /contact history to determine if we need further precautions. Standard isolation/ infection controls are sufficient. As part of "them" I can tell you there is no national or global conspiracy at work here, just the result of high population areas with sketchy hygienic practices.

Our bosses don't have the publication. They will fire people who don't show up for work.

Wuhan looks as modern as any city in the world. I doubt if their practices are any sketchier than the vermin we have in Washington D.C.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The major airlines in the US are discontinuing service to China starting in a couple days through April.

That should make it slower to spread.

Well, the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver are about one in two hundred in the United States. The odds of getting killed by the Corona virus are far smaller.

Well, the chances of getting killed by a drunk driver are about one in two hundred in the United States. The odds of getting killed by the Corona virus are far smaller.
Ahh I live in Australia we have like 1000 road deaths a year nation wide so not that many for the ammount of people that live here

Suppose China did this. Where would we get most of our manufactured goods?
That’s a good question id like to say give me some time to think and I’d come back with a stupid answer but I ment in terms of no passenger flights in or out

Maybe...

View attachment 1059216

If the person is dead and had the virus, and it is as easily spread as we think, then those 4 people will get it....those masks are useless, 2 are not wearing gloves and the other 2 are not wearing them the correct way....

BBC has a vid how they built a 1000 bed hospital in 10d, wonder how fast they will fill it up (one day).

Check the history of the Spanish flu pandemic 1918.... my grampa was alive and had horror stories.... and back then people were not flying back and forth.....

And a link from today: China Arrested Doctors Who Warned About Coronavirus Outbreak. Now Death Toll’s Rising, Stocks Are Plunging. - https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-arrested-doctors-warned-coronavirus-111252311.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom