What's new

Cornmeal Tamales?

True story. About 17 years ago I had a girlfriend that had never eaten tamales before and I decided to make them for her. Since she couldn't handle spicy anything and didn't want the sauce I made to put on them, I served her tamales still wrapped in the husk. Well, while preparing my plate, I hear her say, "how do you eat these things"! She had picked one up like a burrito and was trying to bite through the corn husk. I nearly wet myself I was laughing so hard!
To this day, if you're in the kitchen while I wrap up tamales, there's a good chance you'll hear me start chuckling for no reason at all because of the memory of her trying to eat the corn husk comes back to me!

I was eating fried shrimp with a friend of mine. About half way through the meal, I notice he has no tails on his plate. I as him, "What cha doing with the tails?" He responds, "Tails?" True Story. His first time eating shrimp.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I mean my steamer is like 3 qt (like this ]), will it be enough?

As long as the tamales can stand on their ends, it will work.

I was eating fried shrimp with a friend of mine. About half way through the meal, I notice he has no tails on his plate. I as him, "What cha doing with the tails?" He responds, "Tails?" True Story. His first time eating shrimp.

Tails are eaten in most every Asian country that I've worked in. Especially if they are fried shrimps.

Great recipe, I'm gonna try it this weekend, but I have a question. Does the size of the steamer make any sense here? I mean my steamer will it be enough? I can ask my sister to give me her big steamer, but if my is enough then okay.
Sorry for this stupid question.
What you have will probably work as long as you can stand them up or even lean them at an angle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great recipe, I'm gonna try it this weekend, but I have a question. Does the size of the steamer make any sense here? I mean my steamer is like 3 qt , will it be enough? I can ask my sister to give me her big steamer, but if my is enough then okay.
Sorry for this stupid question.
It's fine. If you have too many, you can just steam them in batches.

1600349115785.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I always remove the tails when I devein. Much easier to remove them uncooked, and I prefer eating with a fork. One of my pet peeves is ordering a pasta and shrimp dish, but they leave the tails on. Now I have to eat with my hand and fork.

I always remove the tails when I devein. Much easier to remove them uncooked, and I prefer eating with a fork. One of my pet peeves is ordering a pasta and shrimp dish, but they leave the tails on. Now I have to eat with my hand and fork.
I like the tails on if they're going to be finger food(built in handles:)), but when in a dish I'm with you. Why would you leave the tails on?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like the tails on if they're going to be finger food(built in handles:)), but when in a dish I'm with you. Why would you leave the tails on?
Fried shrimp are ok with tail, but just about any other way is better without. Shrimp scampi, for instance, is a little messy.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock

Same here. We used to frequent a nice Italian restaurant. All male waitstaff. My daughter would order a shrimp/pasta dish and ask that they cut the tails off. No problem they would say. She is blond and cute. If she wasn't with us and I asked them to cut the tails off, they would apologize and say the cooks couldn't do that.

Top Bottom