What's new

corned beef

Miss my corned beef sandwich from Chicago....Any good ones in Tampa Fl. Looking for a restaurant that makes there own. Let me know were you buy yours, any where USA...........

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Ironically, dinner at home tonight for The Shark and The Blonde Nurse...Homemade Corned Beef! Outstanding! We are in Lakeland so we weren't too far away...sorry I didn't invite you over.

The "Lucky Dill" in Palm Harbor on Alt US 19N and I think Klosterman Rd does corned beef like you will enjoy.:thumbup1:

I like to make my own. As already written, it isn't difficult. I make both the red corned beef made with Nitrate/Nitrite cure and the Irish brine cured grey corned beef. They both taste different, they're both good. The grey is maybe a touch more meaty flavored. If you want recipes for the grey I can post my text file on it. The red can be done using Morton Tenderquick (curing directions on the package) using the same spices as the grey.

Cut and pasted from my last years St Patrick's day post.

I get my basic recipe from Charcuterie - by Michael Ruhlman & Brian Polcyn.

The Brine
1 gallon water
2 cups kosher salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 tsp. pink salt
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbs. Pickling spice (I make my own)
one 5 pound brisket
another 2 Tbs Pickling spice for the cooking pot later.

combine first 6 ingredients in a large pot and simmer until salt and sugar are dissolved and leave to completely cool. I put the pot on my enclosed porch to chill a bit, once as cool as possible add your brisket and weigh down with a plate or other non reactive weight. Let sit in a cool place for 5 days. Rinse thoroughly and simmer covered in water until fork tender.

Pink salt can be found here It's $2.50 a pound and indispensable for homemade bacon and ham. If you want to try this you can probably still get it in time to brine the brisket. Also if you like- liberally coat the brisket in crushed peppercorns and coriander after brining, and smoke instead of simmer. The best pastrami you ever had

My Pickling spice.
25 bay leaves crumbled
2Tbs peppercorns
3 Tbs mustard seeds
2 Tbs coriander seeds
2 1/2 Tbs crushed hot peppers
2 Tbs allspice berries
1 Tbs juniper berries
1 1/2 Tbs fresh ground nutmeg
2 cinnamon sticks broken/crumbled
2 Tbs whole cloves
1 Tbs ground ginger