What's new

Corned beef for Saint Patrick's feast day?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Pulled my beef out of the brine, looks pretty nice. A healthy pink, not fluorescent pink like some of the commercial ones.

I am glad to have never seen fluorescent pink meat . . . .just thinking about it makes me want some eye bleach. (I'm assessing whether this is potentially more or less damage than seeing a certain pen carrying dude do a dance of the seven veils)

I'm doing Irish stew. Only recently learned of my Irish background, so I'm using the gateway foods rather than hitting the hard stuff like Corned Beef.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm doing Irish stew. Only recently learned of my Irish background, so I'm using the gateway foods rather than hitting the hard stuff like Corned Beef.

I don't think there is a "hard stuff" when it comes to Irish food . . . All soft and tender with a big smile. The true art of being Irish is being able to tell someone to go to Hell and have them look forward to the trip. Ha. Hope I cleared that up for you.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Just to be clear. I did not just tell Topgumby to go to hell. Just saying. . . . if you ever ask an Irishman . . . . can I do "name your project here" that way. You may get the answer "Well . . . you could do that". Don't go ahead . . . . he is waiting for your question as to what he would do . . . . else wise he sits back while you take the long walk off the short pier.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Oh heck Jim . . . next you will be telling us the Irish don't enjoy green beer. . . .

Yes the corned beef and cabbage is very much a New York thing. A practical adoption of what was available in NYC when so many of our ancestors, including my own landed in the US.

Ok . . . keep the dye out of the beer for me . . . and enjoy the rest. A drop of Irish Whisky and a bit of Soda bread with a tad of preserves will be how I remember the day.

Corned beef, soda bread, colcannon and if im lu ky my stout will be ready or will pick up some.

I was thinking colcannon too! I think I'm going to make it into twice baked potatoes as a twist. Has anyone mentioned corned beef hash in the morning after? Because that's what I'm looking forward too!!!!

Just to be clear. I did not just tell Topgumby to go to hell....

Damn, I was looking forward to the trip!! :clover:

My "Irish Stew" is heavily Americanized. Beef chuck is a lot cheaper than mutton in these parts.

My fourth great grandfather on the paternal side came over from Antrim, Ireland about 1764. I grew up being told I was mostly Welsh, and who knows that may be the case, but I never heard about any Irish ancestors.

Since my mostly Irish wife found out about great great great great grandpappy Thomas, she has been pretty unmerciful in reminding me about any ribbing I've given her about the whole Irish thing. :tongue1:

Anyway, any excuse to try a new recipe is alright by me!

This year I am unable to celebrate in my usual tradition of eating as close to my weight in corned beef, cabbage and potatoes as possible fallowed by corned beef and hash in the morning and reubens the next night, on account of being in a dorm this year. But I think it may be one of my first things to make up for missing it when I move into my apartment.

Well indeed, most of a packer brisket is gone at this point here. A very well received hunk of meat. I had some timing misfires with guest traveling from out of state, and my beef was held a little too long at temps and was a bit crumbly. I made a rich vegetable stock to braise the meat in and added a black and tan to the braising liquid. Really fragrant and tasty. This one is in the books.

Good deal, the first one I cured at home I didn't allow it to rest long enough and had the opposite issue.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Belated but delicious here in Nora.....

Attachments

• $cornedbeef031812.jpg
    $cornedbeef031812.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 43
Mine turned out great as well !
No complaints. Very tender, great colour and flavour.
Yep, one for the books.

Would have loved to make a Reuben out of the leftovers...but alas there were none.

I'll be doing it a gain soon, but next time I be coating the cured brisket in cracked pepper corns and coriander and smoking it for pastrami. The only change to the cure will be adding a few juniper berries to the pickling spice in the brine.

Growing up Irish in central New England, corned beef was a weekly staple purchased from the neighborhood market. However, the corned beef we ate was grey in color having been corned without the added saltpeter. Pink corned beef was called Jewish corned beef by everybody I knew as a kid.

Does anybody else remember grey corned beef? Can you even buy it any more? I have never seen it since leaving New England over 30 years ago.

Winky,

I live in MA, and can tell you the gray corned beef is still readily available around this time of year from most grocery stores and meat markets. I'm a die hard gray fan my self, and IMHO the red stuff just isn't proper fare for my St Patty's day, as the flavor is different that what I'm use to my Irish grandmother serving.

I do how ever like the red corned beef in a nice thick reuben with all the fixings! :wink:

Top Bottom