What's new

Corking The SR Edge

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Fourteen months ago I started daily shaving exclusively with SR's. Over that period my shaving technique and honing skills have been improving. I built up to three-pass shaves until the BBS result left me with little or nothing to shave the next day. I then dropped back to two-pass shaves (WTG & XTG). Over time the same problem developed with little or northing to shave the next day. I then changed to two-pass (WTG x 2) to were the problem has now again returned. I have tried the B&B "Whisker Growth" treatment. That helped but not enough.

What can I do to keep at least a two-pass daily shave with something to shave each day? I have been thinking that I might be able to adjust my shaving technique to shave just as comfortably but not as close, but in what way? I could possibly stop using diamond pasted balsa strops and just shave off a natural whetstone however, I have a very limited collection of only two Tnats. I am also thinking that maybe corking the edge before each shave may help.

I do not believe that any shaving problem is unique so hopefully some others here have experienced a similar problem. Ideas please.

Last edited:
Your technique has improved to the point that you do not seem to need a hypersharp edge. Maybe try to get to the same point using a coticule or black ark.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Your technique has improved to the point that you do not seem to need a hypersharp edge. Maybe try to get to the same point using a coticule or black ark.
That is something that I will try, except that I do not have access to a coticule or black ark. I can try shaving off a Turkish natural of which I have two.

This week I am working through my Japanese M7DS. I might give my Tnats a try next week with a couple of spare HCS blades that I have and see how they go.

you have some uniquely geographical dung acquisition possibilities.........I don't believe you've exhausted all of those possibilities yet @rbscebu.

as mentioned, a natural stone would be in order. the problem will be that with time and learning the stone you will be once again facing the same dilemma. with this said, it will still remain a different experience.

camo

Try for the one pass BBS, or failing that settle for a daily one pass DFS. You can always use more passes when circumstances require it.

After almost a year working from home and no prospect of returning to the office in the near future, I have taken to shaving every second day. I should probably increase the frequency to use up some of the soap I have accumulated. My current puck is almost two years of almost consistent use.

IMG_5704.JPGIMG_5705.JPG

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
You are suffering from a lack of mojo, a common side effect of using lapping films and balsa wood to hone your razors for extended periods of time. Burn the balsa, keep the film to polish your sink with, and get a rock or two. Your mojo should return to full capacity in 2-4 weeks, depending on which stones you get.

You are suffering from a lack of mojo, a common side effect of using lapping films and balsa wood to hone your razors for extended periods of time. Burn the balsa, keep the film to polish your sink with, and get a rock or two. Your mojo should return to full capacity in 2-4 weeks, depending on which stones you get.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Balsa is best used as fire starting material.

As your shaving skills improve,
your goals can change.

If you are concerned that the too many razors that you have
will suddenly become twice as too many
if you start shaving half as often
then change your priorities.

Have your girlfriend do manual inspections
immediately after each shave and as the days progress.
Get your idea from her, of how often to shave.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My goal is to get as many comfortable SR passes in per day while still having some stubble to shave each day.

This term "mojo" was new to me and not in my 1977 Oxford dictionary so I looked it up on the internet. It appears to be a mostly American term (noun) meaning a magic spell, hex or charm or magical power. I don't believe that I am suffering from a lack of "mojo" as I probably never had it.

No one has yet suggested a change in my shaving technique or corking the blade. So far this only leaves a change in honing (natural).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Fourteen months ago I started daily shaving exclusively with SR's. Over that period my shaving technique and honing skills have been improving. I built up to three-pass shaves until the BBS result left me with little or nothing to shave the next day. I then dropped back to two-pass shaves (WTG & XTG). Over time the same problem developed with little or northing to shave the next day. I then changed to two-pass (WTG x 2) to were the problem has now again returned. I have tried the B&B "Whisker Growth" treatment. That helped but not enough.

What can I do to keep at least a two-pass daily shave with something to shave each day? I have been thinking that I might be able to adjust my shaving technique to shave just as comfortably but not as close, but in what way? I could possibly stop using diamond pasted balsa strops and just shave off a natural whetstone however, I have a very limited collection of only two Tnats. I am also thinking that maybe corking the edge before each shave may help.

I do not believe that any shaving problem is unique so hopefully some others here have experienced a similar problem. Ideas please.
I use to grind slitting blades for shearing dry pulp sheets in the Pulp & paper industry and after grinding a round blade we had to hone it it with a fine stone to get rid of the foil edge that weakens the edge. These circular blades run for up to 1-3 months or hundreds miles of dry pulp sheets. When honing a edge on a razor to extreme fine edge you will get a foil edge(unwanted weak edge IMO) of some sort and corking in theory should smooth the edge a little after getting rid of the foil IMO.

Do a one pass shave instead then, will leave you enough to shave every day I bet. As others mentioned learning a natural stone will also be interesting. First you’ll have to learn to use the stone, then you’ll have to learn to repeat those results for your other razors. It’ll give you lots of chances to have more shaving time

Top Bottom