What's new

Corevolution exercise machine

As I get older my lower back seems to get weaker and sorer. I've been seeing this new exercise machine advertised on the television called 'Corevoltion' that is suppose to strengthen the 'core' of your body and reduce back pain. All of the online reviews I've read look pretty good but there are some problems I see:

1. The unit doesn't appear to be adjustable for different heights.
2. The thing is damn expensive. Probably over $600 bucks once you make all of the monthly payments.

Has anyone here ever had any success with this device or are there similar machines that one could use to get the same results?

Thanks

Some guys will probably laugh at this suggestion, but try Pilates. I did it as part of my rehab after surgery (cut open from stem to sternim and stitched back up again) and believe me, it will work you over. There are a lot of exercises you can do without any kind of equipment and I'd recommend those too, but I guarantee that if you can actually handle it, Pilates will give you good core strength in a relatively short span of time.

Some guys will probably laugh at this suggestion, but try Pilates. I did it as part of my rehab after surgery (cut open from stem to sternim and stitched back up again) and believe me, it will work you over. There are a lot of exercises you can do without any kind of equipment and I'd recommend those too, but I guarantee that if you can actually handle it, Pilates will give you good core strength in a relatively short span of time.

I joined a Pilates class once; the women kept stepping on my tongue.

Cheers

Jeremy

Pilates seems fruity, but tell me you would dislike being as toned and strong and flexible as any of the chicks that have been doing it for a while.

Pilates seems fruity, but tell me you would dislike being as toned and strong and flexible as any of the chicks that have been doing it for a while.

In two months I went from having literally almost no core strength to more than I'd ever had in my life. the greatest thing is how much you actually use that strength you build in those classes. You notice it in everything you do.

I agree on forgoing a machine and utilizing exercies found in yoga, pilates, and core synergetics. Also, you may not even not need any 'real' core work. Many people simply fall in the habit of only using their body to walk from one resting position (sleeping) to another (sitting/dirinvg) and so become weaker. Being active everyday is important, too.

In the vast majority of cases, it is not the core muscles that are the problem with back issues but certain bad habits, such as a bad posture. Instead of strengthening the muscles while ingraining bad posture, I'd recommend first looking into how to make the best use of the human body in the first place. To that end, I can highly recommend the Alexander Technique.

This is not a fancy "new" method. It simply outlines and educates about what the body actually can do, based on its anatomy and then how to best use muscles and joints. The basic idea is that the human anatomy is designed such that the minimum amount of muscle tension is sufficient to keep it stable and to move it around with ease. Problems arise when muscles are being used improperly, thus causing permanent tension (hunched backs and hanging heads are the most common signs).

The Alexander Technique is particularly popular among people who depend on economy of movements, such as musicians, theater actors, and athletes (specifically martial arts).

A warning: Although basically, very simple, the Alexander Technique requires a lot of training and general awareness of how one moves. It is not something one can perfect within a few lessons. But then again, the human body is very complicated. There are no shortcuts in learning how to use it properly. Any machine or technique advertised on TV that promises quick results is 100% humbug.

Check out:

http://www.alexandertechnique.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Technique

Best - MM

or are there similar machines that one could use to get the same results?

Thanks

Ditch the machine and go buy yourself a Fitball (You can find any number of equivalents at local sports stores, Sears, even TJ Maxx. Just buy one big enough for you--I like the 65 cm size best. Look for one that's burst-resistant too)

Get rid of you computer chair and sit on this thing. It has done wonders for my core strength--abs and lower back. I use it for some quick sit-ups when I'm tired and lower back stretches just for the hell of it.

Can't say enough good things about it.

Then use the $580 you save towards something useful like SCAD, SBAD, and CAD

I've been eying a couple of pilates machines on craigslist for $80. They're similar to the Total Gym. Can a machine help in a pilates fitness routine or is it best to go "commando", so to speak?

Another idea is a Bosu ball. It looks like half an exercise ball mounted to a flat surface. I use one several times a week working on my abs and lower back.

I would avoid machines, they are unnecessary. Your core is activated in many compound weight lifting or bodyweight exercises. There are also some really good bodyweight exercises focused on the core, like plank, side plank, bridge, v-sit, leg raise, for example. The purpose of the core muscles is to stabilize the body. Most core muscles don't really show.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I agree that there is no good reason to spend several hundred dollars on a machine. As pointed out, there are plenty of exercises you can do.

In addition to what's been listed, check out "dead bug" exercises and variations. All you need is enough room to lie down. You might want something like a yoga mat if you have a hard floor. If you keep your abs engaged the whole time, you will be amazed at how much they'll work your core.

Top Bottom