What's new

Cooper Plastic 3 Piece Razor

Hello all!

Wanted to share something I stumbled upon and purchased on that auction site.

I was looking for a good travel razor which I wouldn’t mind losing on a trip and decided on looking at various plastic offerings. After finding that the Wilkinson Classic would be a good fit, I thought to do a search on that auction site for plastic DE razors to see if there were other choices.

I came across an NOS listing for this vintage Cooper plastic 3 piece. I searched all over the internet and could only find examples of Cooper’s brass offerings. Nothing to be found on this plastic guy. I haven’t shaved with it yet. It came with a box of their blades. I had to take a look at one of those proprietary blades. Although sealed, there was a tiny bit of rust spotting, but not on the edge. Tempted to try but I may pass.

The closest thing I could find online to this plastic Cooper were Soviet era military issued plastic 3 pieces.

Anyone know anything about these Coopers? When they were made? My guess is pre 1950s.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
I saw that too. As you probably noticed the head bears no resemblance to the Cooper three piece (or Monobilt) but does resemble the (40s) Conrad Razor Clix. It's entirely possible these were made by Conrad as OEM for Cooper, as Conrad did for the non-floating heads. Conrad Frankenrazor:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
proxy.php

Last edited:
My first thought was this was a try our blades razor, but after looking at the description on the box, it looks like this might have been a possible experimental push into using new materials with razor production. I haven’t done a Bakelite test yet, but I’m thinking this isn’t that material. If this is 1930s like it’s brass brothers, I’m thinking this could be one of the first razors produced in plastic, easily pre-dating the Contract Tech and other brands. Trying to find more information but I’m not finding anything really.

Doesn't help with dates but the other obvious OEM is Federal. While I never have seen that handle the three drain slot head is characteristic of their Simplex Bakelites.
proxy.php

Thanks for sharing.:) I learned some more razor history.:) I never knew this company existed.:) Something to look for while browsing the next flea market or yard sale.:)

Thanks for sharing.:) I learned some more razor history.:) I never knew this company existed.:) Something to look for while browsing the next flea market or yard sale.:)
The three piece is pretty common and much underappreciated. I use mine much more often than the well loved Monobilt.

Cheap Shaver has a video on it. No link allowed but here's the razor.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I have no idea, but it sounds like a prototype for a different razor maybe??

If it was just one, I’d think the same, I purchased 3 NOS boxed ones from the seller to give to my sons. I’m thinking this was a limited release whatever it was. $5 per razor on that auction site. Just checked and he has a few left. Just search Cooper Razor. Still haven’t test shaved with it.

Top Bottom