What's new

Cooling/Numbing ShaveCreams

I just tried a Proraso Aloe & Green Tea Cream for the first time this evening, and enjoyed the cooling effect it had on my face. It reminded me of a Lab Series cream I tried some years ago that actually cooled and numbed my face a bit. The reviews of that Lab Series product on this site are awful, but I liked the effect of it, if not the lather. Is there a list somewhere of creams and/or soaps with this cooling/numbing effect? Can anyone recommend a product like this?

just a polite note: the cooling numbing effect actually irritates your skin. not a good idea, IMO. it can be pleasant during the shave, but can lead to problems after it's all done.

v.

I don't find the cooling effect of the proraso irritating at all. The only downside is that if I am having a bad shave, sometimes I don't notice due to the fact that my face is slightly numbed. Did that with a feather once. Thought the shave was brilliant, no blood or anything. Rinsed off, put the alum block on and my face just about fell off.

just a polite note: the cooling numbing effect actually irritates your skin. not a good idea, IMO. it can be pleasant during the shave, but can lead to problems after it's all done.

it's true, menthol does have irritant qualities (it is a counter-irritant), but i've never seen anything to suggest that it can lead to any kind of .. damage (skin problems?). would be curious to hear from someone who has more information on the topic, though.

it's true, menthol does have irritant qualities (it is a counter-irritant), but i've never seen anything to suggest that it can lead to any kind of .. damage (skin problems?). would be curious to hear from someone who has more information on the topic, though.

I agree. People use menthol-laden products all the time. If it was a serious irritant I don't think they would.

Kiehl's Lite Flite (the original formulation with Lidocaine was outstanding) with camphor & menthol.
Not the most fragrant out there, but hands down, the best performing shave cream for me.
Slightly cooling, slightly numbing, balanced moisturizing, with great skincare.
Follow it up with some Alt-Innsbruck splash for the cooling & scent!

just a polite note: the cooling numbing effect actually irritates your skin. not a good idea, IMO. it can be pleasant during the shave, but can lead to problems after it's all done. v.

You are right and wrong all at the same time. Menthol can be an irritant. It originates from peppermint, spearmint or cornmint, but it is usually extracted from Peppermint. Just like anything else some people are going to react to it.

Menthol is used in aromatherapy as an analgesic, antibacterial, antifungal, antiinfectious, antiinflammatory, antilactogenic (precents milk product probably not applicable here huh?), antimigraine, antipyretic (fever), antispasmodic, antiviral, carminative (flatulence), decongestant, digestive, expectorant, hepatic stimulant (jaundice), insectifuge and a whole bunch of other things. It should never applied undiluted but it actually does some pretty wonderful things for shavers including soothing skin irritation, rashes and redness. Although it's not indicated on the products you can be sure that the strength is usually quite low.

If a person already has a sensitivity to any of the mint family then they are going to react to this and there have been reports of contact dermatitis when using these product but they almost always end up being due to a mint sensitivity.

Cheers

I think the Omega shave cream has eucalyptus in it, and I've heard it has a nice cooling effect on the face. I haven't tried it yet, but its on my list.

v.
I have been shaving with mentholated - tea tree - eucalyptus type soaps and creams for over 20 years and have never had any problems. It's no secret that MENTHOL is the #1 additive for shave creams and gels...even the canned goo has it in there. I'd like to see the empirical data for your claim that it causes problems. :confused1

If you want a cream that cools, go for the Queen Charlotte Soap company cream called "Vostok". It will deliver a very icy, cold blast that reminds me of frost bite:)

Top Bottom