What's new

Coolest Cartoon

Well, the earliest cartoons I remember are the original Felix the Cat, Rocky & Bullwinkle of course, and a Tom & Jerry type cartoon named . . . think it was Pixie and Dixie and Mr. Jinks.

"I hate meeses to pieces" was the recurring punchline.

I watch a little anime from time to time now, feature movies only, not series, and South Park every once in awhile.

NANP™

Magilla Gorillla, Richochet Rabbit (and Droopalong), Tennessee Tuxedo, Gopher Squadron, Klondike Kate, Courageous Cat, Top Cat, Quickstraw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound, Wacky Racers, not to mention Grape Ape.

Coolest classics: Looney Tunes.

The Three Little Bops
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTSOjbp0Hs0[/YOUTUBE]

runner up:
The Miser Bros
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yon2YuXssvo[/YOUTUBE]

Coolest currents:

South Park, Simpsons, KOH, Am Dad, and even the Family Guy's appeal stems more from the writing than the visuals.

The coolest recent animation stuff is the mentioned Bruce Timm DC Super Hero stuff, Gennady Tartakovsky's Samurai Jack and Clone Wars, Brad Bird & Crew (The Incredibles, Ratatouille, Iron Giant), and the surrealistically retro traditionally drawn animation of Sylvain Chomet in the Triplets of Belleville, and next year's The Illusionist.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npro9kjyaJk[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know how old your rugrats are, but if they can handle, and dig, a darker Disney like 101 Dalmatians, then you should check out ToB.

Many of the oldest cartoons are still the best. And they had better hand drawn art work in them compared to much of the offerings in the 70's, 80's, and 90's until modern computer animation came out.

Click here to see some of them.

And search that web site for other cool stuff.

First off, I take my cartoons very seriously...I love cartoons.
Secondly, I think Tom and Jerry is the best cartoon ever. (Fred Quimby produced the best episodes, Scott Bradley did the best music)

I also love:
Dexter's Laboratory (not a single bad episode until they changed animation)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Rocko's Modern Life
Ren and Stimpy
Popeye
Pink Panther
Futurama
Lupin III
Pokemon (i honestly love it, sorry)
Angry Beavers
Chowder
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (I highly recommend this to anyone)
Spongebob has his moments
Home Movies (not made for children, but could be viewed by children, very funny stuff)
Venture Bros. (absolutely incredible show)
FLCL (japanese mini-series, worth watching)
Shin Chan

Trust me the list goes on...but im so glad this thread exists.

First off, I take my cartoons very seriously...I love cartoons.
Secondly, I think Tom and Jerry is the best cartoon ever.

I also love:
Dexter's Laboratory (not a single bad episode until they changed animation)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Rocko's Modern Life
Ren and Stimpy
Popeye
Pink Panther
Futurama
Lupin III
Pokemon (i honestly love it, sorry)
Angry Beavers
Chowder
Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (I highly recommend this to anyone)
Spongebob has his moments
Home Movies (not made for children, but could be viewed by children, very funny stuff)
Venture Bros. (absolutely incredible show)
FLCL (japanese mini-series, worth watching)
Shin Chan

Trust me the list goes on...but im so glad this thread exists.

We serve at your pleasure sir!

I don't ever want to get so old I look down my nose at cartoons. They can be great fun and entertaining. Helps keep us young at heart I think.

The Warner animation treatment of the DC comics (Batman/Beyond/Superman/Justice League) are the best overall screen translation of superheroes yet. If only the big blockbuster films had writing like this.
Yeah I agree, these are by far the best. This past weekend Cartoon Network showed a new movie set in the 50's that showed the birth of Green Lantern and had Wonder Woman with the skirt and Superman with the old "S". It had the voices of Jeremy Sisto and David Boreantz (Buffy, Bones). I only saw about 10 minutes of it, but it looked good. I'm sure they'll show it again.

Looney Tunes
G.I.Joe
Transformers
Superfriends
Masters of the Universe
almost anything that was on saturday morning

Bring back saturday morning cartoons!
+1 on all those, except Superfriends, didn't even like it as a little kid, too cheesy. I really hated those twins.

Funny, my girlfriend was just commenting the other day that there is no more Saturday Morning cartoons. Nothing like Bugs Bunny and Friends, Smurfs, Black Star, The Littles, Thundarr, GI Joe, Spiderman and his amazing Friends..etc.
There was also Earthworm Jim, The Tick and Freakazoid.

When I was a tween, the Disney Afternoon was running strong, so I got my share of Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Tale Spin and Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers. Also, Cartoon Network just started. They had to fill in a lot of dead space, so there were a lot of crappy second hand showings of Hanna Barberra cartoons like Space Ghost, Birdman, Gigantor, Superfriends, etc. Man, those cartoons were terrible, but I watched them every day.
I watched some of those too; Duck Tales, Animaniacs, Tale Spin. There was also Peter Pan and the Pirates. Mostly I liked Tim Curry as Captain James T. Hook.

Whoa! I forgot about that one!!! I loved Starblazers!

I remember as a kid in Hawaii in the 70's, we used to get alot of the Japanese kid shows like Kikaida and Condorman and Ultraman. Whew! Those were the days!!
Starblazers was awesome, so was Ultraman and Gekko Kamen aka Monlight Mask aka Capitan Centella, Robotech.

Can't forget about Scooby Doo.

Transformers
Thundercats
Silverhawks

I'm a 1982 vintage.

Vintage '81 here. I loved those when I was a kid. I tried watching some old Thundercats the other day. I think a part of me died. I remember how awesome those kick *** cats were. When I actually saw it I could barely finish the episode. The dialogue was so terrible it sounded like a bunch of kids from the short bus.

I hate the fact that everything is so PC now you can't even find those old Bugs Bunny cartoons anymore. I mean whats wrong with making fun of the drunk guy, commiting suicide, or trying to kill your best friend. Ohh the sweet memories.

Looney Toons of course, followed by Tom and Jerry. And I do believe that you the original versions of Looney Toons on dvd, unedited to suit the PC crowd.
Nowadays I like the Simpsons and I love Futurama. I did watch Samurai Jack when it was on along with Dexter's Lab (too funny).
I need to get those Futurama movies so as to watch them.

Yeah I agree, these are by far the best. This past weekend Cartoon Network showed a new movie set in the 50's that showed the birth of Green Lantern and had Wonder Woman with the skirt and Superman with the old "S". It had the voices of Jeremy Sisto and David Boreantz (Buffy, Bones). I only saw about 10 minutes of it, but it looked good. I'm sure they'll show it again.

Not Timm's best effort. The story is pretty lame - it's a direct transfer of Darwin Cooke's (who got his start as a storyboarder for Timm) graphic novel-which was not great by any means. Very little character development and a B-horror movie monster as the threat.

The team origin backstory in the first 2/3 is the best part of the film but a lot of the really good stuff is left unmined. The actual team battle at the end is anti-climatic at best.

While the animation quality reflects a budget between regular TV and theatrical release, Cooke's art style is not one that looks good on screen, IMO.

The regular Justice League series had many better stories than this one (and much better voice casting.)

BTW, Wonder Woman is the next one by Timm - due out on DVD in February. Both the animation quality and the character modeling look good. http://warnervideo.com/wonderwomanmovie/

I hate the fact that everything is so PC now you can't even find those old Bugs Bunny cartoons anymore. I mean whats wrong with making fun of the drunk guy, commiting suicide, or trying to kill your best friend. Ohh the sweet memories.

The DVD's that have been released from the Looney Tunes archives are unedited, starting with the 2nd volume. In volume 4, there's a Bugs Bunny episode called "Southern Fried Rabbit." There's a scene in there that I guarantee you have never seen on TV. There are some Tom and Jerry episodes that you will never see released on DVD, though.

Don

There's a cartoon channel called Boomerang that I enjoy watching. It has all the old Hanna Barbara classics and other 80s cartoons I hadn't seen in years (The Hair Bear Bunch, Grape Ape, Hucklebarry Hound, Scoobby Doo, various super hero cartoons, Jetsons, Flinstones, Tom & Jerry originals etc.) that I enjoy watching for old times sake. It also runs The Pink Panther. Talk about a funny cartoon. The laugh tracks make it even funnier.

These days I like Futurama, The Simpsons and King of the Hill.

Someone please send me the complete collection of Rocky & Bullwinkle on DVD -- I could die happy.

Aside from that, any Foghorn Leghorn cartoons, and Heckle & Jeckle.

The DVD's that have been released from the Looney Tunes archives are unedited, starting with the 2nd volume. In volume 4, there's a Bugs Bunny episode called "Southern Fried Rabbit." There's a scene in there that I guarantee you have never seen on TV. There are some Tom and Jerry episodes that you will never see released on DVD, though.

Don

I remember watching Southern Fried Rabbit! Are you saying it was never broadcast? If so, I wonder how I saw it.

Top Bottom