What's new

Coolest Cartoon

man, what a loaded question....now the political threads are gonna go haywire 'cause the mods are gonna have to be here threatening lockdowns - don't you know peoples' allegiances to their cartoons supercedes partisanship? :biggrin:
just kidding of course

there are truly too many to try and think of on the spot...tom and jerry, animaniacs, muppet babies, transformers, thundercats, chip and dale....I'd leave so many out, but there is the creme de la creme, best of the best, top o' the heap, absolute greatest ever, for the past 5 years I've had my wife get the huge 4 disc set each year for Christmas for me - Looney Tunes.
Bugs Bunny was cool, but my favorite is Wile E Coyote. Think about it:
- he knows what he wants. period.
- he's persistent - no amount of crashes, misses, bruises, scratches, explosions, fallings off a cliff, can deter him from his goal - he defines FOCUS
- he's creative, rarely does something twice
- not afraid to think outside the (ACME) box
- willing to put his body on the line for glory
the list goes on and on and on and on and on....
he remains determined and intent on getting his road runner* meal, he refuses to go the easy way and use his acme catalog to order something like, fried chicken.....nope, unwavering in his pursuit, he's the model we should all strive to be like
not everyone can be bugs bunny - things just happen to go his way all the time, no amount of internal fortitude can bring his luck or coolness, but EVERYONE can be as determined and persevering as Wile E.

*and the occasional rabbit (no, he didn't go after sheep, that was Ralph)

Bugs Bunny
The Flintstones
Foghorn Leghorn (ever hear the old radio show character called Senator Claghorn? even funnier than Foghorn) I say that's a joke, son!

The best was Rocky and Bullwinkle with my personal fav:
Fractured Farie Tales

Cartoons I liked when I was a kid:
Looney Tunes
G.I.Joe
Transformers
Superfriends
Masters of the Universe
almost anything that was on saturday morning

Modern cartoons I can watch without twitching:
Invader Zim
Venture Brothers
Simpsons
Samurai Champloo

Bring back saturday morning cartoons!

Although technically not a cartoon my all time fav was the Three Stooges. I think the best ones were with Curly, then Shimp and then Joe. Curly Joe was so much below par compared with Curly I don't consider it in the running. I spent many a Saturday watching the Three Stooges.

Bugs humor was the top of the heap. The Chuck Jones/Michael Maltese Bugs, Daffy, Elmer trilogy is some of the funniest stuff in all of cinema/television history.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Yo2OhbNI6k[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRg158Fzxw0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS2tZTF8zIM[/YOUTUBE]

The WWII era Tex Avery Tom and Jerry cartoons were the best shorts in terms of animation quality.

The Simpsons are the funniest sitcom yet.

Spongebob can be very funny (the 'sailor mouth' episode comes to mind) but it's hit and miss overall. Still my favorite modern short.

The Warner animation treatment of the DC comics (Batman/Beyond/Superman/Justice League) are the best overall screen translation of superheroes yet. If only the big blockbuster films had writing like this.

I try and make my kids watch the Boomerang network, all oldies (Scooby Doo, Tom and Jerry, etc) and they really like it.

The new stuff just sucks and a lot of it is extremely violent. Not that Jerry burning Tom with a match or Sylvester shooting a gun wasn't, but it was much more 'cartoon-like' than todays garbage.

Foghorn Leghorn :lol::lol:

I say, I say, Widow Hen, I don't need your lovin'! I've got my bandages to keep me warm!!:lol:

I thyink my favorites are the Pink Panther set. Pink Panther, The Inspector and the Ant and the Aardvark. Although a good close second has to be Rocky and Bullwinkle and all that came with it. In the non cartoon cartoon catigory, The Muppet Show is a favorite.

Old Looney Toons
Old Popeye
Smurfs
Thundercats
Voltron 5

Family Guy

As opposed to the Voltron 97, or how many it was? Robot Chicken did a sketch on it, I think this season. It was hilarious.

When I was a tween, the Disney Afternoon was running strong, so I got my share of Gummi Bears, Duck Tales, Tale Spin and Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers. Also, Cartoon Network just started. They had to fill in a lot of dead space, so there were a lot of crappy second hand showings of Hanna Barberra cartoons like Space Ghost, Birdman, Gigantor, Superfriends, etc. Man, those cartoons were terrible, but I watched them every day.

Ah, I was wondering if anybody was going to bring up my second pick:

Da dum, da dum...da dum...da dum da dum da dum, da duh uh uh uh um, deeee do dee do dee do oo oo oo....

The Pink Panther. Great cartoon. Even better movies.

Gigantor.

Star Blazers

Bugs Bunny

Planet of the Apes

Whoa! I forgot about that one!!! I loved Starblazers!

I remember as a kid in Hawaii in the 70's, we used to get alot of the Japanese kid shows like Kikaida and Condorman and Ultraman. Whew! Those were the days!!

Wow, my favorite topic.

By and large the MAJORITY, and I do mean MAJORITY of my DVD collection consists of cartoons or animation of some type. Here you go, in no particular order as to which are my favorites:

Jonny Quest
Looney Tunes collections Vol. 1-5. 6 very soon.
Flinstones all six seasons.
All classic Tom & Jerry episodes that have been released... not the "modern" crap.
Woody Woodpecker 1&2.
Invader Zim the complete series.
Pink Panther vol. 1-3.
The Inspector (Pink Panther co-series).
Ant and the Aardvark.
The Jetsons.
Spongebob Squarepants seasons 1-3 (he's on as I type this!)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force 1-3.
The Brak Show 1&2.
Space Ghost and Dino Boy.
Tex Avery's Droopy theatrical shorts, unedited!
Speed Racer, the "so bad its good" Japanese ones.
Sealab 2021.

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new releases and there's more that I need to buy.

I think a vocal portion of adults dismiss cartoons as childhood silliness, and I tend to take some heat from my more "mature" friends and acquaintances and family. These are the same people who can ask me, with a straight face whether I was concerned over the latest elimination on American Idol, or Dancing With The Stars, or what happened on Hell's Kitchen.

Cartoons are a slice of life, of Americana, if you will. Anyone who has watched an episode of Spongebob Squarepants knows that the personalities of the characters are ones you encounter during your day. They are written and created by adults who absolutely love their craft, and it shows.

Don't get me wrong. There are bad cartoons out there, but you can never go wrong with the classics.

Thanks for listening!

Don

Top Bottom