What's new

Coolest Cartoon

Now that there is a little one running around the house I am becoming reacquainted with kids TV and cartoons. As I was formulating this thread in my head I was going to comment on the goofiness of all those Japanese cartoons they play now. I can appreciate the artistry, but they are just...well...goofy.

Instead I got to thinking about the cartoons of my youth and which was my favorite. I remember my dad loved Rocky and Bullwinkle when he was a younger man. It was pretty good, but Saturday mornings were chock full of good stuff. Looney Tunes, Superfriends, Tom & Jerry and so on. I think my absolute favorite of favorites however was the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. I love those signs he held up while suspended in mid air right before taking the big plunge. Followed by the tiny dust cloud as seen from far above <thump> <poof>. And how about all those cool ACME gimmicks? Good stuff.

BTW these days the best thing going is Spongebob Squarepants. Even if you don't have kids and no matter how old you are, I recommend giving it a look. Funny stuff.

So what's your favorite?

Road Runner & Wile E. Coyote made me laugh like a hyena then, and they make me laugh like a hyena now.

GI Joe was a favorite of mine. I also like Wile Coyote and the Roadrunner. I couldn't figure out how Wile got all that money and fast shipping on his ACME products.

Family Guy, Southpark and The Simpsons. Not for kids though.

Oh and I liked Beevis and Butthead but don't like King of the Hill.

Scooby Doo and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were my favorites as a child, and I still enjoy Scooby Doo (I don't think TMNT still comes on TV). I liked Rugrats as a slightly older child, and my favorite show after I graduated from cartoons was Bill Nye the Science Guy. I still enjoy it immensely.

for me it was......

as a kid : Johnny Quest was THE toon. I look back and it was so far ahead of its time, it would be like Geroge Jetson living in Bedrock with Fred, Barney and all the prehistoric families.

as a young adult :tie between Ren and Stimpy and Liquid TV on MTV( birth place of Bevis n Butthead as far as I know). I am surprised I didn't need Depends the first time watching Ren n Stimpy.

as an Adult : Sponge Bob. Sure, there are lots of semi adult and adult toons but I can watch SBSP with the kids and all of us have a good time.

When I was a kid, Tom and Jerry were tops in my book, Scooby Doo a close second.

these days I enjoy more cartoons than I did as a kid.

I like most of the Adult Swim shows.

American Dad, Family Guy, Simpsons and Futurama are all great (even though The Simpsons has kinda sucked the past several years)

Southpark is still a favorite.

Spongebob is cool, so is Fairly Odd Parents.

Yeah I forgot about Beavis and Butthead. How could I do that?!? I even have a 3 disc "collectors" set. By the time they came on the scene I was fully grown, but they did bring out the juvenile delinquent kid in us didn't they.

Johnny quest was the bomb...

Super Friends was the bigger bomb (Naturally I am a Superman fan!!!)...

I also liked SpaceGhost, the Herculoids....

Today I have to agree, SpongeBob Square Pants…

Captain: Are you ready kids?
Kids: Aye-aye Captain.
Captain: I can't hear you...
Kids: Aye-Aye Captain!!
Captain: Oh! Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Kids: SpongeBob SquarePants!
Captain: Absorbent and yellow and porous is he!
Captain: If nautical nonsense be something you wish...
Captain: Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish!
Captain: Ready?
EveryBody: SpongeBob SquarePants! SpongeBob SquarePants! SpongeBob SquarePants!
Captain: SpongeBob.... SquarePants! Haha.

Bugs and the rest of the Looney Tunes universe are top of the heap for kids and adults.

The Tick is a very funny show I watched a bit as an adult back when I had cable.

Johnny Quest was great definitely one of my faves.
Anyone remember Clutch Cargo? Big guy with a big square jaw with lips that moved really weird. hahaha.
When I was a real youngin' my two faves were Popeye and Felix the Cat. Then there was Beany & Cecil & Mighty Mouse. Other greats were: Top Cat (another cat cartoon?), King Kong, Roger Ramjet, George of the Jungle, and so on...

You can an idea how old someone is when you see what cartoons they liked. :wink:

I would have to vote for Beavis and Butthead. Yeah I know! They got me through college pretty well and I still crack up when I watch them.

Top Bottom