What's new

Cool shave

The last thing I want to do on a hot day is douse my face w hot water, daub on warm lather or stand over a sink full of hot water. On hot days I’ll “cool shave”, filling the sink w cool water, applying cool lather, etc. YMMV, but I detect no difference in the result. Give it a try

The results may not be different, but I hate cold lather and cold steel on my face. Give me the hot water any day. I even put my cream in a closed container in the sink as well as my lather bowl just so everything starts out hot.

The last thing I want to do on a hot day is douse my face w hot water, daub on warm lather or stand over a sink full of hot water. On hot days I’ll “cool shave”, filling the sink w cool water, applying cool lather, etc. YMMV, but I detect no difference in the result. Give it a try
I actually get a better shave with cold water. Closer and more comfortable, almost soothing. But most days I'd REALLY rather not douse my face with cold water. Those days ended when I quit drinking.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I always use cold water from start to finish and much prefer it. It is even better on winter mornings when water is really cold from the tap. I have considered using water from the fridge to replicate the effect. Maybe I will give that a try, the colder the better for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Each to their own. I tried cold water shaving and it is not for me. Glad it works for you.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think it also depends on the environment in which you live. Cebu, where I live, is 31deg C in the morning in "winter" and 32deg C in summer. Most houses here, including mine, don't even have piped hot water.

The water out of our faucets is at about 26deg to 28deg C all year round. So yes, I happily cold-water shave. When in colder environments, I prefer a bit more warmth with my shaves.

I recommended “cool” shaves, a little less than room temp, not “cold” shaves. I seek a comfortable shave on a hot day, not an icy face shock.

I think it also depends on the environment in which you live. Cebu, where I live, is 31deg C in the morning in "winter" and 32deg C in summer. Most houses here, including mine, don't even have piped hot water.

The water out of our faucets is at about 26deg to 28deg C all year round. So yes, I happily cold-water shave. When in colder environments, I prefer a bit more warmth with my shaves.

I can relate, I live in Florida USA and 6+ months out of the year I could easily live without a water heater at all. It's weird though because we do drop to almost freezing temps during our 'winter' but that is usually a 3-4 week span then it immediately gets hot again.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Recently had a great shave with a cream that had a super menthol kick. Finished with a cold water rinse, which took the whole experience up a notch. Bracing!

Reactions: J T

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
There have been many discussions about "cold water shave" in B&B. Many people think that it can effectively reduce irritation.
But compared to warm water, cold water takes a little longer to penetrate the grease on the beard and soften the hair.

cold water shave

Another benefit is that it can save energy and water consumption for heating.
If your area is not too cold, cold shaving would be a good idea.

Top Bottom