What's new

Cookware

I would like to thank all of you for your helpful advice and sugestions I think I am going to go with the Kitchen Aid set. I am just going to do some every day cooking type stuff soups and stews pastas pork chops steaks chicken that type of stuff nothing crazy my girlfriend doesn't cook and her pots and pans leave a little to be desired

If you want to go nonstick, I suggest ScanPan.
Made in Denmark, Ceramic-Titanium coating, metal utensil safe, LIFETIME warranty.

About half the cost of All-Clad, and 10 times the value.

Seriously, these pans are insane. Melt sugar in them, and it just slips right off.

I worked at Sur La Table for a while, and thought it was total BS, till I got one as a sample, and got to try it out. Now by far my favorite pan in my kitchen.

http://www.scanpancookware.com/

My wife and I chose Calphalon shortly after we got married. We celebrated our 20th anniversary a few days ago. The Calphalon is still going strong.

Tim

I've been using the full Kitchen Aid set multiple times everyday, for about 4 years now. I've been very pleased with the quality of the pans, and the stainless really is great for the price. One thing that took me forever to find out is if the rubber handles are oven safe... when I bought the set, there was no information on the box. FYI, if they haven't added it to the box,the handles are safe to 400°F.

If you have a Kohl's near you, you might consider waiting until after Christmas... that is when I bought mine, and they were something rediculous like 55% off the list price. Kohl's usually blows out a lot of kitchen stuff right after christmas, so it may be worth waiting.

All cast iron pans, and enamel pots is where it's at.
This is a site where people buy vintage razors :) Old style is best.
I like one piece cast iron or enamel (both straight from the flame into the oven) stuff that will last a lifetime.
Not the mach3 style stainless/plastic/aluminium/non stick style modern cookware.

I bought nice all cast iron lodge frypan and grill pan a year ago and I love them.
Had awesome roo steaks on the grill pan tonight.

I am in the market for some new pots and pans.

I think I either want Rachel Ray or some Kitchen Aid pans. Has anyone used either of theese ?
Haven't used them. Wouldn't want to.

I've spent over 30 years working in kitchens, both as a professional short order cook and as a home cook.

Working in the kitchen puts a smile on my face. Cleaning pots that have rivets on the inside makes me miserable. For non-industrial / non-commercial use, give me pots & pans with welded handles -- I won't even consider riveted handles.

I note that only one of Ouch's pans appears to have rivets:
attachment.php

My recommendations: Paderno or Lagostina. Absolutely fabulous stuff. Paderno typically has a twice annual factory sale of (I think) 40% off, which was the last time I bought pots.

And for non-stick, unless you're gonna use Ouch's seasoned french steel pans, you absolutely cannot beat the Berndes SignoCast Classic line. I used my large frypan this morning to make salami & eggs for four.

All of these brands provide quality, value, and will last a lifetime with proper care.

Interesting, nobody mentioned yet a non-glazed claypot.
But they should have. It's like Yi Xing for roasts!

Also, another vote for Lodge. As far as ironware goes, there's no practical reason to spend more.
+1

Just checked my cast-iron grill pan. It's a Lodge. And it gets as much use as anything in my kitchen.

(Nor would I want to be without our Romertopf clay baker for roasting a chicken. :tongue_sm)

- Richard
Okay, I'm going back into the kitchen now.

Richard: +1 on Lagostina, which can often be found at TJ Maxx for a good price, and always at Canadian Tire. :biggrin:

Ouch: Do you have a link for a seller of those pans? I could really use a great omelet pan, and a crêpe pan would be wonderful.

If you have a Kohl's near you, you might consider waiting until after Christmas... that is when I bought mine, and they were something rediculous like 55% off the list price. Kohl's usually blows out a lot of kitchen stuff right after christmas, so it may be worth waiting.

That's what I'M waiting for! :biggrin:

Kohl's kitchenware sales are insane---I bought my mother a gigantic steamer/stockpot/pasta cooker set of just incredible quality last year for about $40. I'm going back this year for the half-size model, which is more appropriate to my needs. And some KitchenAid. And maybe a Chef's Choice Pro knife sharpener . . . :001_rolle

But speaking of Food Network products, there's another line usually right next to the Rachel Ray stuff (at Kohls and Penneys, anyway) that looks really, really good. Paula something? Heavy copper bottoms and solid construction. There's a 9" saute pan I've got my eyes on from her.

Revere Ware used to be really good stuff---my mother's set lasted 50 years or better and would've lasted forever but for us kids---but I had a set about 15 years ago and the handle material had changed and wasn't nearly as good.

NANP™

I've always liked Calphalon since getting a set as an engagement gift many moons ago. I've always avoided nonstick cookware, but I picked up a pair of nonstick Calphalon omelet pans a few weeks ago, and love them. The easy cleanup seems worth the added attention you need to use when cooking.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
But speaking of Food Network products, there's another line usually right next to the Rachel Ray stuff (at Kohls and Penneys, anyway) that looks really, really good. Paula something? Heavy copper bottoms and solid construction. There's a 9" saute pan I've got my eyes on from her.

Heavy copper bottom is often a codeword for thin sides. The pan really should have a uniform thickness for the entire surface- look at a Calphalon or All Clad to see. Thin sides will scorch, and alter the taste of the food.

Look for good balance, a well secured handle, and heavy weight.

It occurred to me that I should mention, to those that aren't aware, that the Lodge pre-seasoning is no good. I thought with the pre-seasoning I could get away with cooking a bunch of bacon and after a week I'd be non-stick; no such luck. I finally broke down, oiled the pan, baked at 250, re-oiled, backed at 300. It became magical. Don't trust the pre-seasoning (although I don't specifically avoid it, either, because hardly anybody stocks the unseasoned pans anymore and anyway, it ensures they won't rust while en route to you.)

I'm interested in the seasoned steel pans. It hadn't occurred to me that you could season other metals. Where does one buy them? What brands are worthwhile? What else can I, or should I, buy and season in order to end the tyranny of permanent non-stick coatings?

Go with the KitchenAid Stainless Steel clad ... the aluminum core is extended all the way to the rim of all the pots, and as such have superior heat distribution. The Paderno sets are lovely, but the aluminum core is only on the base. And the KA Stainless clad are 5 ply, inner and outer stainless, and three-ply aluminum core. All oven safe, fantastic set. I love mine, glad I got them before KitchenAid stopped offering them in Canada ...

Top Bottom