What's new

Cooking with Fire

I use my offset grill/smoker consistently from March through November and I see a lot of great threads on BBQ and grilling. But quite a lot of my cooking falls in neither category and doesn't see much discussion, what the high falootin' joints call fire roasting. Indirect heat at higher temp. and far less smoke than BBQ but nowhere near the intense searing direct heat of grilling. It's great for quartered or whole chicken or any other poultry, and roasts. I typically sear over the coals and then move to indirect heat where it roasts at median oven temps to the desired level of doneness. Simply awesome for med-rare standing rib roasts or goose. Anybody else?

I sometimes put the rotisserie motor on the grill and spin a bird or some other meat. A great method of roasting that I grew up with.

No, I'd rather just use the oven.

Just kidding James. I have been doing mostly smoking just to get some cooks under my belt, but I did make a couple beer can chickens using indirect hight heat, and they turned out fantastic.

$6997324872_0b93f77716_z.jpg

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Answering just to hear the replies - I do the sear & roast for chicken parts, I'd be interested in the rib roast recipe/technique. Those beer can birds look great, uncomfortably posed but ..

My grill/smoker is of the sideways barrel variety so I have a lot of space to work with. I build the fire in the middle and while that's going I rub the room temperature roast liberally with kosher salt, coarse cracked pepper, thyme, and oil. When the fire is hot I sear the roast on all sides and remove from heat to a cutting board while I push the coals to either side. I then return the roast to the center of the grill ribs down with a probe thermometer in the roasts center of mass. leave it to roast in the neighborhood of 325-350 until an internal temp of 120 and then remove to let rest for twenty minutes while I prepare the sides. I usually toss some mushrooms in clarified butter and chuck on the grill at this point if they're handy. The temp on the roast should have risen another 10-15 degrees while resting. To carve I separate the loin from the ribs and slice thick. I like to serve it with horseradish or blue cheese and the roasted mushrooms. I do check periodically to make sure the fire isn't hotter on one side and rotate if necessary.

I do a very similar cook with many meats. My steaks and roast I have been doing the reverse sear method where I start low and finish on high.

For example for a 3/4 to 1 inch steak I will place in a 200 degree oven for 14- 18 min and then run it out to the blazing hot grill and finish off on direct heat.

Perfect medium rare and crusty on the outside.

I've been meaning to give that a try next time I'm grilling steak. Do you find that you still get good flavor from the grill? I thought that it might be diminished, which has had me putting it off.

I do this quite a bit with my Horizon off set. I use wood only and do high heat cooks on all different stuff. It works well with pork, chicken and beef.

Sorry- I had to finish up a few dishes for a family event today,( why do I have to bring the items that take 3 hours prep all the time?) I have the photos and will get them up in the morning.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm just picking on you . . . I could have eaten a Porterhouse after this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here it is as it is I guess...

Fresh out of 2 days in the fridge - being lightly salted and peppered.

After 16 min in a 200 degree oven-

Resting after a couple of minutes on a lump charcoal fire, blazing hot-

And crowed onto a plate with caramelise Vidalia onions and mushrooms, baby taters and string beans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom