What's new

Convex Hones Rethought

Just spotted these two oldies on the bay - called Nor-Hone razor hones.

View attachment 1476120

View attachment 1476122

White Tam version:

IMG-8824.JPG

IMG-8825.JPG

IMG-8827.JPG

Now i am waiting for you to hone some DE blades.
What did you one today? A Feather DE blade:)

I have actually got a DE somewhere that probably has quite blunt blade in it. I can't imagine I'll get anywhere, but might give it a go for fun...

This whole convex stone for DE blades is new to me. I assume the convex shape allows the blades to flex and the edge to make contact. David's Coticule version is pretty mind blowing.

Legion

Staff member
Google glass razor hone. They used to make them out of glass (often uranium glass) in the 30’s. They pop up in antique stores sometimes, but I’ve never felt the urge to buy and try one.

This whole convex stone for DE blades is new to me. I assume the convex shape allows the blades to flex and the edge to make contact. David's Coticule version is pretty mind blowing.

My understanding is that the DE blade is laid on the curve and moved about with very little downward pressure applied. I've not bought one, but I've seen several on the bay that were boxed, with the instructions visible in the listing's photos. Some instructions called for circular movement, and some for linear. None called for pressure that I recall.

Legion

Staff member
My understanding is that the DE blade is laid on the curve and moved about with very little downward pressure applied. I've not bought one, but I've seen several on the bay that were boxed, with the instructions visible in the listing's photos. Some instructions called for circular movement, and some for linear. None called for pressure that I recall.
You could well be right. Let’s get some images of those instructions posted for the record.

I doubt I will ever use one, but I’d like to know how.

It was at least a couple of months ago when I saw one seller unloading a bunch of them, better than 20 if memory serves. A quick search of the bay yielded these two contradictory sets of directions. One says to do circles with no pressure and the other says no circles with moderate pressure.

Convex DE hone.jpg

Convex DE hone2.jpg

Google glass razor hone. They used to make them out of glass (often uranium glass) in the 30’s. They pop up in antique stores sometimes, but I’ve never felt the urge to buy and try one.

I recently saw the glass ones and wondered about these as well. You learn something new every day on Badger & Blade.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My dad had one of the glass ones back in the early 1960s, they’re not abrasive. He said that it didn’t work, but I don’t remember much else. Someone gave it to him to try.

My dad had one of the glass ones back in the early 1960s, they’re not abrasive. He said that it didn’t work, but I don’t remember much else. Someone gave it to him to try.
A buddy at work said his grandfather sharpened his DE blades by rubbing on the inside of a porcelain crock.

If you guys are going to try these, you might want to acquire some carbon steel blades. And preferably some that aren’t too modern. Tatra has one and then there are Feathers, but you will have to get them on The Bay from JP. Most of the Treet blades are made on the same equipment as the stainless blades and it is my understanding that they are harder to re-sharpen.

I tried a few of those DE hones just out of curiosity long ago. Nope, didn’t see that as a real or effective option. Neat gimmick though and make for funny hones.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The stone is meant to be used with the blade unflexed or barely flexed. It "works" if your standards are not high, with some practice. These were somewhat practical in wartime especially in Europe where new DE blades were hard to come by. They probably worked better with the old thick blades, I am thinking. They weren't all that sharp to begin with, by today's standards.

Top Bottom