What's new

Convex Hones Rethought

Well your tam instructions contradict my thought that the blade should bend to conform with the hone. Reading that it seems they want you to keep it as flat as possible.

Yeah that was how I read it, and why I asked if older blades might've been thicker and less flexible than the feather one I've got there. There's no way you could do it on a feather blade without it flexing quite a lot, I don't think.

Legion

Staff member
Yeah that was how I read it, and why I asked if older blades might've been thicker and less flexible than the feather one I've got there. There's no way you could do it on a feather blade without it flexing quite a lot, I don't think.
Older carbon blades were thicker and less bendy. I guess that helped them work, although from the number of those old hones that seem barely used, I'm guessing they still didn't work too well.

I've been DE shaving for less than a year, but I've tried older and newer DE blades. There has been significant variation in stainless steel thickness. Only one brand was carbon steel and it was on the thicker end of the spectrum. I didn't purchase any of the synthetic vintage DE hones I saw on the bay because I haven't had a good experience with any of the synthetic vintage flat hones that I've got.

I've been using an Ingersoll hand stropper with a leather belt every other DE shave partly for economy and partly for shave quality. The effort benefits from the use of a light hand. I'd be inclined to use a DE hone like the ones shown in the photos from @David or @cotedupy. I would go to the leather afterwards, just like I would do with any straight razor.

Top Bottom