What's new

Convex club.

Basil, those razors that need a rolling X to hone properly. It may be that they have some warp to them. If that is the case, you will find that just doing a normal x stroke on a convex will get you the same results that your rolling x did on your flat.

Basil, those razors that need a rolling X to hone properly. It may be that they have some warp to them. If that is the case, you will find that just doing a normal x stroke on a convex will get you the same results that your rolling x did on your flat.
Yeah those razors are a bit warped in the toe area. The convex will help with a perfect more controlled stroke

I have now used the convex black Ark from Jarrod for a month. There is no question it is faster then a flat finishing stone. The edge gives an exceptional shave, a sharp and polished edge. I have Dan's black surgical, Zulu, Dota stones, Vermont green and much more. The convex has no equal. Once you try it, the proof is in the pudding. You can argue about why it doesn't or shouldn't work, but those of us who are using this stone are getting exceptional edges and shaves. By the way, none of my 90+ razors are warped or damaged and world isn't flat.

I have now used the convex black Ark from Jarrod for a month. There is no question it is faster then a flat finishing stone. The edge gives an exceptional shave, a sharp and polished edge. I have Dan's black surgical, Zulu, Dota stones, Vermont green and much more. The convex has no equal. Once you try it, the proof is in the pudding. You can argue about why it doesn't or shouldn't work, but those of us who are using this stone are getting exceptional edges and shaves. By the way, none of my 90+ razors are warped or damaged and world isn't flat.
+1

ACA, I'm sure you are right in that none of your razors are warped.

But the literal minds of the engineers in Solingen, view things as EVERY razor being warped. In the sense that they are not truly "flat". Once steel is put in the grinding wheels, variables come into play and at some level there is some deviation from "flatness". So, they surmise, a correction system must be put in place.

But for me, it's not about warping. For me, perhaps the main advantage of a convex ark is not the warp issue at all. It's that I can get a nice ark edge without spending all day.

ACA, I'm sure you are right in that none of your razors are warped.

But the literal minds of the engineers in Solingen, view things as EVERY razor being warped. In the sense that they are not truly "flat". Once steel is put in the grinding wheels, variables come into play and at some level there is some deviation from "flatness". So, they surmise, a correction system must be put in place.

But for me, it's not about warping. For me, perhaps the main advantage of a convex ark is not the warp issue at all. It's that I can get a nice ark edge without spending all day.

Exactly why I bought it. All I can say is the edge is much better faster with the convex stone.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
proxy.php

I'm now convinced the wonky "350" razor was an outlier. This is a terrific stone.

5-26-19.RedInjun-OffDCA.Kit.640.JPG

Having now shaved with my second incredibly sharp, comfortable, kind, smart, and easy edge off the DCA all I can say is what a great stone!

Happy shaves,

Jim

This razor went from convex ark in the factory to convex ark at my home, never touching a flat stone.

It is a new Dovo La Forme, ordered very recently. Which means back in Solingen it was finished on a convex ark.

And I have only maintained it on my convex ark. So its edge has never seen a flat hone. It should have that touch of hollowness in the bevel, with the increased acuity from that.

Had a very nice shave with it this morning.

I was recently thinking that I may have gone overboard in buying an ark at such a huge 8x3 size. A 2.5 inch is all one needs, and its much less money. But with a shoulderless razor like this, it is sometimes nice to make enormous x strokes all over that huge space.

IMG_0104.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What’s the d stand for? I assume ca is convex Arkansas.

Double Convex Ark.

DCA.

Two stones glued together. One is a hard finishing stone in black or white translucent. The other side is a tan or off white softer bevel setting stone. Both Arks. Both Convexed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim and I got a bit excited when Jarrod first came out with these, and we bought very large 8x3 stones. And also with a softer bevel setting glued to the bottom.

Looking back with hindsight, maybe not needed, as we already own bevel setters. And while a three inch width sounds nice, usually the left half inch never gets used.

You can buy a 2.5 inch by six inch black finishing ark, convex, for half what I paid.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim and I got a bit excited when Jarrod first came out with these, and we bought very large 8x3 stones. And also with a softer bevel setting glued to the bottom.

Looking back with hindsight, maybe not needed, as we already own bevel setters. And while a three inch width sounds nice, usually the left half inch never gets used.

You can buy a 2.5 inch by six inch black finishing ark, convex, for half what I paid.

I know.

Still, I think having a convex bevel setter to use along with the convex finisher makes a lot of sense + the convex bevel setters are cheap enough.

The smaller size would be fine, but we have the big ones and real estate is real estate. The big ones will become rare. Not making any more.

Yup. Big real estate is a luxury. Especially when you have a shoulderless razor.

I just want folk to know they can get into the convex ark game for as low as $125. If you're just into buying new razors then that one rock will do you for life.

But of course you'll get curious, so there it goes.........

It's like how I joke about my sailboat. "hey wait a minute, the salesman said once I bought the sailboat I"m done, right? right?"

My ark just arrived today. It was my first time ordering from tss and they sure do pack well. The little stoneand box was wrapped up the size of a small football with bubble wrap.

Haven’t had the chance to play around with it but it’s a nice small little stone perfect for hand holding.

I will take pics shortly to compare to my coti and jnats.

Top Bottom