What's new

Converting Gloss Paint to Matt?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a small painting job that will only require about 200ml of paint. Today I traveled into town and called into the only hardware store. I wanted to buy a 250ml tin of matt acrylic paint for the project.

They had the colour that I wanted in a 250ml can but it was gloss acrylic, not matt. The paint salesman told me that he can mix what I wanted but the minimum quantity was 1 litre and at more than 4 times the price. I settled for the gloss acrylic.

Does anyone know of a way that works that can convert this gloss acrylic paint to a matt paint?

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Acrylic paint is water based. I was thinking of possibly mixing in a water and corn starch mix to try and achieve a matt finish.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
A small amount of dry corn starch will work.
Experiment on something first. Less is better, adding more if you need to.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A small amount of dry corn starch will work.
Experiment on something first. Less is better, adding more if you need to.
I'm not sure if dry corn starch would mix well enough. That is why I was thinking of adding a corn starch/water mix.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure if dry corn starch would mix well enough. That is why I was thinking of adding a, corn starch/water mix.
It's a tiny pinch at a time and thorough mixing.
Adding water will thin the paint.
I suppose you could try, but I've only done it dry, in a separate container a pinch at a time.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'm not sure if dry corn starch would mix well enough. That is why I was thinking of adding a corn starch/water mix.
If you get to the point that you have added corn starch enough to thicken the paint, a few drops of water to thin it back to painting consistency might be needed, but it has been my experience that adding as you go is the way to go without ruining the sample I was working on.

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
The paint store you went to can make flat paint because they have flatting compound to add to the paint. Ask them to sell you a small amount of the compound

Top Bottom