What's new

Converting 3 Stones into One

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have a small 150mm x 50mm x 10mm Turkish natural (about 5k grit) that I like to use before going into lapping film. This whetstone is used hand-held so I have mounted it on some timber using rubber glue so as to protect my delicate manicure. The only problem is its length and width. I would like the same but bigger, about 200mm x 75mm.

I have another 3 of these same whetstone's still in the rough. What I am thinking of doing is to cut one of these 3 down the middle longitudinally and another across the middle transversally. I would then glue all the pieces onto a 6mm ceramic tile using rubber glue and so form a combined whetstone surface of about 200mm x 75mm (after suitable trimming). This whetstone/tile combination would then be glued no to some timber to again protect my delicates. Once all done, I would then lap the new combined whetstone surface flat.

Are there and problems that you can foresee in this little project?

Mainly how fragile turkish oilstones are. It's pretty presumptuous to think they will accept your plans without drama. That and they vary a huge amount in speed hardness and fineness. Even if you succeed in cutting them, you may end up with something really uneven and not progressive feeling unless it is all from a broken example.

I would be concerned about the gaps between stones if you are hoping to make it into a 200x75 "collage". I haven't done anything like this but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Top Bottom