What's new

Convert

So when I first started honing I was taught to use 2 pieces of electrical tape on the spine. It took some practice, but I can get hair popping edges like this. After much thought at reading I decided to reset the bevel on my trusty Pyramid with no tape. It's a learning curve all over again, I feel like the tape was kind of a crutch, but I'm trying to convert to no tape.

Same process. If the razor was honed with 2 layers of tape you need to set the bevel with no tape first.

I suggest killing edge on glass then using a 1k stone until bevel is set again.

After killing edge with glass try setting bevel with 1 layer of tape. Rinse and repeat for no tape after you got 1 layer of tape.

Honing process should be the same with and without tape. Some razors take a better edge with angle change from tape (and some without).

Curious what razor you have and what the honewear looks like. If it is some sort of hollow grind or close without a lot of hone wear, it should take a good edge without tape

After killing edge with glass try setting bevel with 1 layer of tape. Rinse and repeat for no tape after you got 1 layer of tape.

Honing process should be the same with and without tape. Some razors take a better edge with angle change from tape (and some without).

Curious what razor you have and what the honewear looks like. If it is some sort of hollow grind or close without a lot of hone wear, it should take a good edge without tape
0411201559a~2.jpg

That's my work horse right there. Spine wear is virtually none

My guess is that razor should take an edge without to much of a problem then without tape. Might try getting a 5/8 - 6/8 solingen razor as they are usually pretty easy to hone in my experience

Just finished up a shave with it. Other than my lack of a smooth steady hand (too much caffeine) the shave
was great. I swear it seemed like a quieter shave too, maybe my imagination but it seemed my chin under neck had no irritation while going atg... officially converted

Top Bottom