What's new

Convert to bowl lathering.

I think I may be a convert to bowl lathering, after years of face lathering.! I used a small Chinese type soup or rice bowl. Smooth, but one with ridges may make lather a bit faster. Maybe some can advise.
I load the brush.......chubby3 badger......from the puck. Then create the lather. At first, it seems it will never lather, but every few seconds, I scrape the brush gently on the rim of the bowl, and each time, the lather from deep in the brush gets thicker and greater in volume. From a comparatively small amount of soap in end up with loads of lovely lather . This lather seems higher quality than when I face lather and my shaves seem closer even with a mild ATT razor.
I do spend time painting the lather on my face as I love the face feel .
It does take time, but well worth it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I normally face lather my soaps and have have taken to bowl lathering my creams. There are many great bowls out there on the market but I can highly recommend a Captain's Choice Copper lather bowl. Won't break if you drop it and fits nicely in the hand. Others will recommended what they like but you can have lots of fun searching for what suits your needs.

+1 on the Captains cooper bowl. A great investment that is unbreakable and will last.

Alternatively, you could glue some nickels or quarters to your existing bowl to create ridges.

I have no problems getting lather in a glass punch cup. I do immerse it in hot water in the sink to keep the lather warm.

I spent the first several months face lathering. Then I found a bowl, and haven't really looked back. Sure, sometimes it takes a while to dial in a lather because you can't feel it because it's not on your face. But I take notes and especially if you use the same base for a while, then you can easily get it dialed in via a bowl. Plus I love the fact that I have enough lather in the right consistency even for the third or fourth passes without a problem.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

There's just something about being able to create the perfect lather before applying it to the face

I've always bowl lathered. I've tried to face lather with soap sticks when traveling and I just can't get the hang of it.

The ridges do help. I still do the thing you do with the side of the bowl, and add water to it. Super rich lather in a minute.

I've always bowl lathered. I've tried to face lather with soap sticks when traveling and I just can't get the hang of it.

Use Arko, and rub a lot on your face. When you think you have enough, load some more. Then take a wet brush and work up the lather. You may have to add yet more water if it becomes too thick.
It took me awhile to get the hang of sticks but now I love them.

+3 for Captains Choice copper bowl. Hands down the best I have ever used & looks amazing. I bowl lather with my standard brushes & face lather with my denser ones like my Chubby 2.

Use Arko, and rub a lot on your face. When you think you have enough, load some more. Then take a wet brush and work up the lather. You may have to add yet more water if it becomes too thick.
It took me awhile to get the hang of sticks but now I love them.
This is my experience and conclusion with Tabac stick soap as well.

I really enjoy bowl lathering. I'd been using my GP scuttle almost exclusively this past year, but the Captain's WORST soap contest prompted me to break out the Captain's Choice ceramic lather bowl. I'm getting some superior lather from there now and I've been using it the past week. The best lathers I get, however, have always been palm lathering. If it weren't so messy I'd do it more.

Top Bottom