What's new

Controversial Thread: DE v. Cartridge

Many here believe that their DE shaves are closer than their cartridge shaves. At the same time, many will say that they no longer get ingrown hairs while shaving with their DE as opposed to their cartridge razors. These two positions are inconsistent in my way of thinking.

The reason why many of us have had ingrown whiskers with cartridge razors is because the multiblade stretches the hair and then cuts it off at a level that will be below the the surface of the skin when the whisker retracts after being cut. This can cause ingrown hairs. DEs eliminate this problem because they do not stretch the whisker before it is cut; essentially cutting the hair even with the surface of the skin. Yes, many of us can get a bbs shave with a DE, but I say even that bbs shave is not as short as what a Mach 3 will give you.

I am not touching upon the subjects of razor burn or comfort where the DE far surpasses the cartridge in my experience. However, to those who think the DE shaves closer than the cartridge, or that believe the bbs shave they attain with a DE lasts longer than the one they get with a cartridge, I say hogwash. Have at me if you will.

I never, repeat never had a problem with any cartridges. I moved to DE for 3 simple reasons.
1. cost
2. recycling
3. coolness factor

I never, repeat never had a problem with any cartridges. I moved to DE for 3 simple reasons.
1. cost
2. recycling

3. coolness factor

I moved for reasons 1 and 2, and the promise of more comfort, but I later learned my discomfort was bad technique rather than the use of cartridges. I tell people that don't want to switch despite problems with cartridges to try wetting their face till it drops before applying shaving cream and that's usually enough of an improvement for them.

Comfort....period. I can shave everyday without fear of getting razor burn. The cost has been blown out of water since I have dropped well over a grand in my search for the ultimate shave. Recycling? I wont go there;) At least I save a buttload on my blades though!

Comfort....period. I can shave everyday without fear of getting razor burn. The cost has been blown out of water since I have dropped well over a grand in my search for the ultimate shave. Recycling? I wont go there;) At least I save a buttload on my blades though!

Why wont you go to recycling? I do not understand that from you. I do not know you but recycling is important to this nation. Maybe you do not mind leaving this world to rot but some of us do.

I use a 2 blade sensor on occasion and have gotten very close shaves with it. Not as close as my better DE shaves, but then again I only use it occasionally. Also, the DE shaves are more comfortable then the sensor shaves. I have still not perfected my DE technique so I am still prone to some weepers and an occasional nick. Interestingly enough I have trouble with the same spots with both the 2 blade sensor and the DE. I enjoy the DE more.

eric.

Last edited:
1. cost
2. recycling
3. coolness factor

#1 was my primary reason. Little did I know about ADs back when I started. I don't recycle, but perhaps I should. I have one of those old houses that actually has a de razor slot behind the bathroom mirror for disposal of old de blades. That's where I dispose of mine. And, one has to admit, it is more "cool" to use a DE than a cartridge.

<shrug> I get better shaves from a DE than I ever did from a cartridge, and I never experienced "true" BBS until I moved to DE shaving. BBS with a DE is MUCH closer than what I'd get with a cartridge, so I guess I completely disagree with you on that front. That said, occasionally I'll push it too far and get an ingrown hair as a result, but compared to how my skin looked after cartridge shaving, it's a vast improvement. No bumps, no irritation, healthier looking skin.

And as to the longevity of a BBS shave, a good BBS shave with a DE keeps me that way for about 24-36 hours. I NEVER got that kind of lasting BBS from a cartridge. But hey, everyone is different. I think it's great that you are able to achieve such good effects with a cartridge system. I was never impressed with cartridge shaves, and I couldn't be happier than I am with DE shaving. The improvement in my skin has really been remarkable.

Why wont you go to recycling? I do not understand that from you. I do not know you but recycling is important to this nation. Maybe you do not mind leaving this world to rot but some of us do.

Off subject but a daycare with 50 kids disposes of more waste in 1 day than I will produce in a lifetime of shave product waste. The blades that I use come in paper wrappers(7 oclock and Red IP's). So do I DE shave b/c of the recycling aspect? No.

Way off subject though....I do not send any yard waste in my 2 acre yard to a landfill:biggrin: It all is recycled back into the yard. Done my part!

Quick factoid....Beakers outfits are not made of recyclable products....In fact his head would take 1400 years to degrade;)

Yes, many of us can get a bbs shave with a DE, but I say even that bbs shave is not as short as what a Mach 3 will give you.

Because the M3 is pulling the hair above the skin, then the next blade chops it off and then it recedes below again (ready to become an ingrown if you're susceptible)

I am not touching upon the subjects of razor burn or comfort where the DE far surpasses the cartridge in my experience. However, to those who think the DE shaves closer than the cartridge, or that believe the bbs shave they attain with a DE lasts longer than the one they get with a cartridge, I say hogwash. Have at me if you will.

It has another side - with a Mach3 shaving was a chore to be avoided since I got big bad PFB - so I'd go 3-4-5 days without shaving (by which time I had the world's itchiest beard - which irritates me and my skin more ahead of a crummy shave experience) then have to mow it down with the M3 leading to even more PFB. That practically all went on day 1 with the DE - so now I can shave twice a day if I want so the BBS not lasting is not a problem.

What I do detect (mostly from comments by SWMBO) is that when I've not shaved for 12 hours now she doesn't whine about my sandpaper face - I can only attribute that to the fact that the whiskers are cleanly cut off with a DE, rather than yanked and cut. So even if BBS doesn't last - an acceptable shave (to the second most important opinion in my world) lasts longer.

It also probably annoys Gillette/Procter & Gamble that I'm doing this - that's got to be a plus :biggrin:

Add in the inexpense of running the system and fact that I can actually recycle the blades (where the composite cartridges aren't recyclable) and it's a win/win/win/win for me :lol:

<shrug> And as to the longevity of a BBS shave, a good BBS shave with a DE keeps me that way for about 24-36 hours. I NEVER got that kind of lasting BBS from a cartridge. But hey, everyone is different. I think it's great that you are able to achieve such good effects with a cartridge system. I was never impressed with cartridge shaves, and I couldn't be happier than I am with DE shaving. The improvement in my skin has really been remarkable.

Please take no offense by the following. I don't think a whisker can differentiate between a DE shave and a cartridge shave. It will grow at the same rate whether shaved with a DE or a cartidge. Thus, I don't understand how your DE BBS outlasts your cartridge BBS, if you are able to obtain BBS with a cartridge.

On another note, I haven't used cartridges since starting DE shaving. Like you, I couldn't be happier than I am with DE shaving.

I get closer shaves with the DE. This may be due to the fact that I make more passes and am more cognizant of technique with the DE. Also, the cartridges easily become clogged, so the exposed surface of the blade is erratic. Leading up to DE shaving, I used the same prep and techniques with my M5P and the result was nowhere near what I've experienced since DE shaving. Another explanation could be that on the cartridge the first two blades are the only ones really doing much, so the blade quickly dulls and loses efficacy, but since the cartridge was so dang expensive I abused them by extending them far beyond their effective life. Any thoughts?

I got comparable shave with a multi-blade disposable (I haven't used a cartridge razor since I quit using the Atra) as I do with a DE. In fact, I have developed more ingrown hairs with the DE that with the multi-blade. But the shaves are much more comfortable; I got much more irritation with a multi-blade (likely the 2nd and 3rd blades raking my face after the 1st blade took off all the lather). I can shave every day with a DE. No way could I do that with a multi-blade (believe me, I tried it a few times).

Please take no offense by the following. I don't think a whisker can differentiate between a DE shave and a cartridge shave. It will grow at the same rate whether shaved with a DE or a cartidge. Thus, I don't understand how your DE BBS outlasts your cartridge BBS, if you are able to obtain BBS with a cartridge.

On another note, I haven't used cartridges since starting DE shaving. Like you, I couldn't be happier than I am with DE shaving.

No offense taken! I completely agree with you on that point...Mr. whisker does not grow at a different rate one way or the other.

What seems to matter is the manner in which the whiskers are cut. Something about the pull n' cut of a cartridge makes the hair grow differently through the follicle than if it is cut smoothly (without pulling) over several different passes. I'm saying that I get closer with a DE over several reduction passes and ATG than I do with the yank n' cut method of cartridges. This is just conjecture, but I feel that when the whiskers are yanked and cut, they recede beneath the skin before they have been fully reduced. So in my experience, while it feels smooth at first, bumps appear a short while later and the hair grows back out much sooner than with a clean-cutting non-yanking DE shave. While shaving with a DE, the whiskers can be reduced to a very low level without the skin wanting to pull them back in (or alternatively puffing up around the follicle) in reaction to the yanking. Just a theory, of course.

There's also no doubt that my technique with a DE is better than it was with a cartridge, because it has to be. So I don't mean to disregard that factor, from a philosophical perspective.

Last edited:
What seems to matter is the manner in which the whiskers are cut. Something about the pull n' cut of a cartridge makes the hair grow differently through the follicle than if it is cut smoothly (without pulling) over several different passes. I'm saying that I get closer with a DE over several reduction passes and ATG than I do with the yank n' cut method of cartridges. This is just conjecture, but I feel that when the whiskers are yanked and cut, they recede beneath the skin before they have been fully reduced. So in my experience, while it feels smooth at first, bumps appear a short while later and the hair grows back out much sooner than with a clean-cutting non-yanking DE shave. While shaving with a DE, the whiskers can be reduced to a very low level without the skin wanting to pull them back in (or alternatively puffing up around the follicle) in reaction to the yanking. Just a theory, of course.

You may be on to something there regarding the manner in which the whiskers are cut.

I'll respectfully disagree with you tex. There is no doubt in my mind that I get a much better shave with a DE than a cartridge. Ingrowns aside, my neck never itches like it used to a couple of hours after a cartridge shave. As well, given the thickness of my facial hair, where I used to get a 5 o'clock shadown by 11 a.m. I don't get a 5 o'clock shadow until maybe 7 pm now. I am a 2 pass shaver. My face feels a hell of a lot better since switching over.

I can't tell you, I used a multi (Sensor) for the first time when I started to shave my head 4 years ago. I still used it for the head in the shower and I think is far from a great shave.
Why I still use it? Because I had a few slips with the razor slipping, flying and falling and I don't want to risk damage to a brass DE razor or other parts...

1. cost
2. recycling
3. coolness factor

I agree with these reasons. My Fatboy looks way cooler sitting on display then any Mach 3 IMHO. But for me longevity is a big reason too. I find I am getting up to 7 quality shaves (smooth & witout irritation) with my 7 " O Clock blades (Yella).

With the cartridges I would curse walking down the isle to pick up more cartridges and & arriving there & cursing some more looking at the sticker price muttering " Geez I was just here last week buyiing these $%&^% things". :cryin::incazzato

I was only getting 3 shaves with the cartridges. Notice I left out the word quality. No BBS with them just real estate paved with stubble.

You cannot tempt me! I shave with a straight which is a. way cooler than cartridges, b. shaves far more comfortably with neither irritation nor razor burn and c. the shaves unquestionably last longer.

I use both, but I use a DE with FAR less frequency than I do a cartridge. The main reason? The DE gives me a sub-standard shave. There, I said it! The Atra, Trac II, Sensor, and Mach III all give me a better shave. The cost of the M3 and the Sensor blades now have left me using the Trac II and the Atra, as I can get a DFS/BBS shave from either at about a nickel a shave, about 1/4th the price of the Sensor and about 1/6th the price of a Mach III.

The DE gets used on the days that I run out of blades for either of my cartridge razors. (As a matter of fact, I'm going to start using the abbreviation CR for cartridge razors. SE, DE, and CR. YMMV). I have a ten pack of swedes that will last me probably another two years at the rate I use my DE.

The DE takes me about four passes to achieve the closeness that one pass with a CR gives. If you don't mind taking the time to do an extra three or four passes with a DE, than that's fine. I do mind, however, because my face will promptly turn beet red for the next several hours when I do more than two passes with a DE. On top of that, I have to shave every day with a DE being that it does not cut as close as a CR, which leads to all manner of ingrowns and bumps, as my face is one of those that protests when it has a sharp blade that scrapes and cuts over it seven days a week.

I have a very thick, dark beard. My beard grows fairly quick. I shave at night. With a DE, I have a five o'clock shadow at lunchtime the next day. With a CR, I have a five o'clock shadow at lunchtime the second day. So really, I'm getting more usage out of a three dollar pack of Twin II Personna's than I am out of a 1.59 pack of Gillette DE's.

So it's not just a clear cut case that DE's are better blades, a better shave, cheaper to use, etc. In my case, DE blades are a cumbersome expense that leave me with a substandard shave. Yeah, they're fun and sexy and all that but have you ever seen a nice chrome, brass or stainless, or wood Trac II or Atra handle? They make my Parker 22R look kind of tacky, and my black, plastic handled SS look like a cheap throw away.

Everyone has a different face that responds well to different shaving regimes and blades, and I found what works for me. I think the price of M3 and Sensor blades are outrageous, but if they were three dollars a pack I would use them every day, and I know a lot of fellas here that would do the same.

Top Bottom